Audio Interface Survey

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Audio Interface Survey

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi all,

What audio interface are you using? Or are you using your computer's integrated sound card?

How do you like it? Are you getting the results you're looking for?

Greg
TrevsAudio

Re: Audio Interface survey

Post by TrevsAudio »

Hi Greg

Very happy with my Lexicon Alpha. Flexible and versatile for one or two instruments at a time.

Just got a Focusrite Saffire (6 in 8 out) but haven't tried it yet as I'm having a firewire card fitted to my PC.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

M-Audio c400 but I think I'm fixing to move to a Tascam US-2000
Last edited by gypsy101 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
omtayslick

Post by omtayslick »

Echo Layla 24/96. I primarily use it for the ADAT access to get my UA 4-710d into the computer. The Echo is an old interface, but still works flawlessly.
Tom
chibear

Post by chibear »

For those not needing a lot of inputs: Asus Xonar Essence STX

I work almost exclusively with VSTs and don't need a lot of inputs so this is ideal for me.

A very basic card with AMAZING sound (This comes from someone who played in orchestras for 50 yrs). This replaces my M-Audio Audiophile 192 which gave me artifact problems on 2 computers. Huge dynamic range and clarity. I mainly listen with headphones but plugged the card into my stereo just for a try and was blown away. My card is PCIe, but I have seen PCI versions for sale at Amazon

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_Di ... sence_STX/
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
outteh

Post by outteh »

Shopped around a lot for an interface looking at price and features before makng a decision. Settled on the M-Audio C600, sufficient inputs, good audio range, and outstanding near zero latency. Microphone preamps are also great and the capability of having multiple outputs for monitoring through different systems was very helpful.
mikbrx

Post by mikbrx »

Lexicon Alpha
aj113

Post by aj113 »

I am using a Tascam 164UF - it performs way past my expectations.

The downside is that it is USB2, which is a problem when I have 30+ channels and 5-6 plugins on each channel, because the data transfer bottleneck makes the sound drop out. This situation is ok for mixing, but if i want to record i have to bounce down to a 2-track, and import the wav into a separate project.

Also - and for your information - one thing that really increases the amount of data and therefore makes the project useless for recording is the number of edits. If I have a lot of edits on my clips, this makes things worse. By mergiung clips I can improve the situation dramatically.
i know that bit s the editd clips that definitel slows things down because the same poblem arises on export. Lots of edits = very slow export. Merge the clips and the export process becomes much faster.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

I use the Alesis MultiMix 8 USB FX.

I was worried at first due to many reviews quoting background noise but if a little time is spent getting to know the unit, there are no issues.. Works great with MC6 and ASIO4ALL :)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
djl1

Post by djl1 »

I use a Multimix8 USB FX as well, along with Mixcraft 6 and ASIO4ALL.

There are issues with background noise, but only if you have the input levels set too high in the Windows control panel. I have found that anything between 30% and 50% is just fine.
Here is a sunrise. Ain't that enough?

Mixcraft Recordings
songsmith1950

Post by songsmith1950 »

I have four interfaces.
1. M Audio Fast Track USB. 2 tracks in, usually 1 mic and 1 instrument. Two tracks out in stereo. Very good for quick productions or for a notepad type device. Not bad for full mixes and songs though. This is actually a respectable interface, and even more so with the addition of believe it or not the 30 dollar Behringer Tube Preamp. I could use it for most anything except a project that was meant to compete with the big buck boys.
2. Presonus VLS44. 4 inputs can go on 4 seperate tracks and be mixed. Then out in stereo. The preamps in this unit are superb and the ability touse the VLS feature to record with effects on the inputs without the cost of latency. Presonus does this with the VLS feature in the mixer. The effects do not go on the recording but give you something real nice to build your confidence with when you are recording vocal or guitar. Also has the "Fat" channel effect for incredible vocal monitor sounds. This is a first rate device.
3 Tascam US1800 can input, if I remember correctly, 14 tracks at one time. Each can go to it's own track for mixing. There is a stereo track output but then there are also 4 separate line out output streams that can be most whatever you are wishing for. Also there is input for spdif stereo stream, which adds more. Then midi in and out. So you have 10 inputs with preamps onboard, then 4 more line level inputs, and the stereo pair from SP/dif gives you 16 consecutive ins. The stereo pair of outs, added to the four additional line outs, gives you 6 outs. None of this includes the Midi. Each track has it's own recording track. You can mix them down to a stereo track for output or you can use the stereo pair with the other four channels running whatever instruments or mixes you set them up as. This is very close to a first rate input, though slightly beaten out by the Presonus and probably by Focusrites also though I have not heard them yet. The input amps of either are just too good. I have a Studio Products B1 Tube Mic Preamp which I also use when really wanting to give it all. It does some sweet things as well, especially when in front of the Presonus or even the Tascam with the Tube pre handling most of the gain and the interface handling a little.
4. Also have a Zoom R24, which can give you eight mic or instrument tracks in simultaneously, when used as an audio input. It outputs to a standard stereo output tracks as do the Presonus and the M Audio. It also can be used as a sampler along with being a true 24 track digital recorder. It is not in the same class ampwise or sound quality wise as the Presonus or the Tascam. About even with the M Audio. It is a very decent sounding tool, though if I had the $500 to spend again it would probably be on a Focusrite, just to have one. I have all the guitars of the top brands and sounds that I need and then some. Same with keyboards, and computers for that matter. So I usually spend on inputs, preamps, mics, and plugins for my DAW's.
So many fine toys there are. Can't have them all, but happy with what I have, and might get before life has passed.

Songsmith
Songbird Hill
Tascam US1800, Presonus 44VSL, M Audio Fast Track USB
Mixcraft Studio 6, Cakewalk Sonar X2a, Studio One Professional, ver 2.5
guitars and keys
PC I7, 750 GB, Firewire and USB 3, Win 7
Asus VivoTab, full Windows 8, 64 Gig
If it sounds good it IS good!
KStech

Post by KStech »

8)
Last edited by KStech on Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
:arrow: :?:
Louis B

Post by Louis B »

chibear wrote:For those not needing a lot of inputs: Asus Xonar Essence STX

I work almost exclusively with VSTs and don't need a lot of inputs so this is ideal for me.

A very basic card with AMAZING sound (This comes from someone who played in orchestras for 50 yrs). This replaces my M-Audio Audiophile 192 which gave me artifact problems on 2 computers. Huge dynamic range and clarity. I mainly listen with headphones but plugged the card into my stereo just for a try and was blown away. My card is PCIe, but I have seen PCI versions for sale at Amazon

https://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_Di ... sence_STX/
Just out of interest, what's the latency at higher ASIO rates, such as 24bit @ 96k? I couldn't see that type of info in their specification. The latency of a sound card for me is critical, particularly if using VST drums and outboard midi keys/modules simultaneously. Currently I use a couple of Digirack 002's which are pretty good.
Yamaha CS80, Elka Synthex Mk2, Korg Oasys 76, Oberheim OB8, Open Labs Neko LX61, DSI Poly Evolver, Kurzweil PC3K8, Moog Taurus I & III, Roland Super JX-10, Integra-7, V-Synth, JD-800, Varios, Novation Supernova II, Mackie D8B & HDR-24.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Just out of interest, what's the latency at higher ASIO rates, such as 24bit @ 96k? I couldn't see that type of info in their specification. The latency of a sound card for me is critical, particularly if using VST drums and outboard midi keys/modules simultaneously. Currently I use a couple of Digirack 002's which are pretty good.
Sorry for the late reply I just noticed the question. The Asus Asio console has no bitrate adjustment, but, running 17 tracks of EWQLSO Platinum, 2 mics with ASIO set for 24 bits resolution I had the latency set at 1ms without issues. I usually run it in Wave RT 16 bit 48k which I've also run all the way down to 1 ms latency in Exclusive Mode (just to test) without issue but for some reason that only offers 16 bit.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

KStech wrote:MC6 and Steinberg UR22 24/192

Bio:
40 years pro musician/singer/songwriter/recording artist/studio engineer/sound mixer/mastering
40 years electronic technician

First i must state i have used, and torture tested every DAW that was ever created.
wow,THAT'S a bold statement.