Can't import WMA files

Support and feedback for Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Brodie

Can't import WMA files

Post by Brodie »

When I try to drag a WMA file into the program, nothing happens when I drop the file. Tried importing through the tool bar as well, didn't work. This happens for all WMA files on my computer.

I already read the thread about this on the old discussion board and it didn't help, mainly because I couldn't find the "enable personal rights" box. Maybe that advice was for an old version of Windows Media Player. Do you have any updated advice? Please help.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Download this version of 2.471. There's a sort of stealth update, even if you have 2.471, for people who have Windows XP SP2 and can't load any WMA files.

If that doesn't help... are you sure the WMA files aren't copy-protected?

Greg
Rick

Post by Rick »

Hi!!! I too cannot import wma files..... i note this thread which is 6 months old and have downloaded the "update" but am now concerned that clicking install may prompt me for the activation code that I cannot remember (I have used Acoustica for around 2 years I think)....

Can some kind person tell me if this is ths case???

If it is is there any way to get my activation code emailed to me??
How do Snow plough drivers get to work???
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If the software is currently registered on that computer, you won't need to register again if you install the new version.

You can always get your registration code on our support page, using the "Lose your registration code" link.

If your email address has changed since then, you can request your code here.

Greg
Rick

Post by Rick »

Many thanks for prompt reply!!!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Okay....I just bet I did something wrong.... but I downloaded the upgrade, was asked during the installation whether i wanted to install wma support...said yes....got a message saying successful.....finished installation....

No change!!! Still cannot import any wma file (none are copy protected on my system).

Please feel free to tell me I am a pillock who missed something obvious.... but I really want to turn some old Christmas stuff (ripped a long time ago beofre I realised MP3 was more useful than wma) into ring tones.... I could write them all to an audio CD then rip back to my computer as MP3..... or I could download a converter.... but Acoustica tells me it supports wma and then when I try to import one...tells me that it cant import this mp3 and that I should send it to Acoustica for analysis or something...

Sigh!!!

By the way, I didnt uninstall the old version before installing the new....just thought of that!!! :oops:
Rick

Post by Rick »

OK guys I am embarrassed!!! note for all..... Uninstall existing software, then install the stealth update. You may need to install the extra file from the link within the help text for mp3 mixer aswell!!!

IT DOES WORK !!!!

Many thanks all!!!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Yup, there are several different potential problems with WMA files. Just to sum up for other people with WMA problems:

1) The "stealth upgrade" (2.471b) fixes a problem that was introduced by Windows XP SP 2, but only on computers that shipped with it.

2) Another problem is that some computers don't seem to have Windows Media support installed at all and downloading this fixes that.

3) Songs purchased from online music services are often copy-protected and you'll have to check with the music service to see what you are allowed to do with those. If you ripped the songs yourself using Windows Media Player, you can turn off copy protection (Tools > Options > Rip Music) and rip the songs again.
Naveronasis

heres my problem...

Post by Naveronasis »

okay i used to be able to do WMA but since i re-formatted my computer i cant. And heres why (as far as i can tell)

I have several partitions now and im not running XP on C so when i click the "yes" to download for WMA support the installer crashes because it cant find any browsers on C.

So what is the link to the patch? the installer also crashes at the end if i tell it to launch because it still cant find the browser on C but thats okay because the program is allready done installing.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There is no patch. You can try downloading and installing the latest version of Acoustica MP3 Audio Mixer.

If you don't have WMA support installed and the WMA support installer won't load, I'm not sure what else to suggest. You might try installing Windows Media Player from Microsoft's download site and see if that does the trick.

You could also try Mixcraft 3 and see if that works better for you.

Greg