Losing tracks

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

jakec

Losing tracks

Post by jakec »

Hi,

I've had this quite excellent program for a number of years now and can't remember having a problem until now. Just recently I've noticed that I am losing tracks in the process of transferring the mp3 file over to iTunes, this morning 3 tracks of an album just sort of disappeared in the process. At one point the default player had changed from iTunes to Window Media Player and so I changed it back thinking that might be the issue but the problem persists. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Btw, I am essentially a computer illiterate so if there is a solution, small words would be appreciated.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Losing tracks

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Is the problem that the tracks are missing, or is the problem that the recording didn't get split correctly so that more than one song is included in each track? Listen to the tracks all the way through?

If the tracks just aren't split properly, you'll need to add extra track splits on the "Preview & Edit" screen in Spin It Again.

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

I did find the missing songs, they turn up in the 'unknown artist' folder in my iTunes library. Is it possible the program is randomly not 'tagging' songs sufficiently for iTunes to recognize them?

For example, when I go into this 'unknown artist' folder in iTunes and relabel the song, artist, album, track number, etc, the song returns to the appropriate folder within the iTunes library. Again, I've used the program for years with zero problems so I'm at a loss as to how this developed.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you name the tracks, make sure that they all do have names before you create the audio files. I don't know of a problem where Spin It Again randomly doesn't put the title of the track in there, but sometimes if you look up a track list, it might not match the actual tracks splits you have. You should always double check that stuff and not trust Spin It Again to do it for you automatically.

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

Hi Greg,

I use the search engine via Spin It Again for track names, etc. and have never had the issue before(over a thousand albums digitized). I have actually been checking that the names match and tonight I noticed that the program paused twice during recording without being asked and half the album I was transferring ended up in the 'unknown artist' folder. I'm getting the sense that you guys haven't run into this before. Is it possible my program became corrupted somehow?

Thanks for your time. Jake
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In regard to the pausing issue, Spin It Again has an option that can pause recordings when silence is detected in its Miscellaneous settings. You can turn that option off if you are recording things with long stretches of silence or near silence.

If the problem with "unknown artist" keeps happening, make note of which songs have the problem. Is it the songs at the end of the recording?

It's unlikely, that the software became corrupted, because if that were the case, you wouldn't get very far. If you like you can always uninstall and reinstall to test that theory.

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

Hi Greg,

The auto pause is set to go on after 90 minutes, don't think that was the problem but it didn't happen today so perhaps it was user error of some sort.

I transferred (5) albums today and 2 of the albums had no problems whatsoever, the others had varying tracks ending up in the 'unknown artist' folder. One album had tracks (1) and (7) missing, another (4) tracks missing - (2), (6), (7), and (8) and another just had track (6) missing.

The missing tracks end up in the 'unknown artist' folder with the number of the track and the name of the track in the 'name of the track' heading, i.e., 2. Ramblin' Man - no artist, no album, no year and no track number where the track number is supposed to be. What seems odd is that the problem seems to be both intermittent and random.

Jake
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you creating MP3 files, specifically? Does the track information all look correct on Spin It Again's "Name Your Recording" screen? What's different about the recordings that have this problem?

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

Yes, I'm converting to mp3 files.

Yes, the track information is correct when I begin the transfer process.

There is nothing that I can tell that's any different about the tracks which end up going missing into the unknown artist folder on iTunes(they're all coming from vinyl, the information is coming from the Spin It Again search engine, and I check it and make sure the information is correct before I start - there is rarely a need for editing). I haven't used it since Friday but hope to transfer a couple more albums tonight.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

It's hard to say what the problem is, without more details. When you say that the information is correct on the "Name Your Tracks" screen, does that mean that the Artist field does have a name in it for every track?

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

Yes, the artist field has a name for it on every track. If you have any other questions, please let me know, the problem has continued.

I do have a question however... when transferring to mp3 files, the Spin It Again screen shot lists 'folder'... which looks like this...

F:\iTunes\'name of artist or band'\

is the punctuation correct on this?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What do you mean by punctuation in this case? By default, Spin It Again might place audio files in a folder like this:

C:\Users\Acoustica\Music\artist_name\

But F:\iTunes\artist_name\ would work just fine.

Do you have the "File Tagging" option selected in Spin It Again's File Tagging settings?

Greg
jakec

Post by jakec »

By punctuation I was referring to the slash marks and whether they were correct, I thought they might have been altered at one point.

Yes, I have file tagging selected in the settings but the artist's name in song file and the album name in song file were not checked(tho the track number was), so I checked them and will see if that changes anything.