I'm getting my Audio Interface tomorrow, question tho...

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

I'm getting my Audio Interface tomorrow, question tho...

Post by marc32123 »

I ordered the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and should be getting it in the mail tomorrow. I have a few questions though. I have never used an Audio Interface and am new to Mixcraft as well and don't really know what I need to know about how to get everything set up and working so I can record with it. Does anyone have any tips or something that could help me know what I need to know? I have no idea really where to start other than I have to open up the package when I get it tomorrow :?
One more thing, to get a good quality sound when recording, does it matter what my sound card or any of the other components in my computer are?
LeeJ

Re: I'm getting my Audio Interface tomorrow, question tho...

Post by LeeJ »

Allow me...

I got my Focusrite 2i2 only this week and this is how it goes...

Opened the box and installed the Focusrite drivers using the supplied CD. I also installed the VST plugins also on the CD.

I plugged the 2i2 into the computer using supplied USB cable and let the computer sort itself out.

Opened mixcraft... settings... clicked on ASIO driver... dropped the Asio Device box down and selected Scarlett... clicked OK.

Then plug mic (or guitar) into input 1 on the 2i2

Arm the track (I select Left for guitar and Right for vocals)

press record...

sorted
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

I plugged my headphones into the headphone socket on the 2i2 and make sure the Direct Monitoring switch is ON.

Level up the instrument and level up the headphones.

As far as I can understand your soundcard has little bearing on the sound quality being recorded.

enjoy
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

Sorry I forgot to add...

Once you've recorded a track try using the Scarlett plugins. The reverb is very good.
bbdrmz

Post by bbdrmz »

You both may want to make sure your up to date with the driver's from your interfaces company. They get updated periodically. If you installed from CD or DVD the drivers may be out dated. As for your soundcard.. if you plan to use your system on a dedicated set of studio monitor's there's really no need for the internal sound card. In fact if you have any audio issues it may be best to just disable it.
"I am thankful to all those who said no. It's because of them I did it myself."
Albert Einstein

Win-7
ASUS M5A99X
AMD fx-8350 eight core
32-GB DDR3 RAM
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

ahhh I forgot to mention that! I did go to the website and install latest drivers after I did all the rest above!

good point!
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Alright thanks guys....I have a few questions about this video on the scarlett 2i2 though -
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6quoJTMAmzs)
Why is he connecting them two cables from the speakers to the 2i2 at 2:05 in the video?
And what is ableton live light 8 that he is talking about at 2:13 in the video? Do I need to install that too?
outteh

Post by outteh »

The scarlet 2i2 has it's own audio output that allows you to listen to playbacks and recording through the interface. The two cables he is using connect to the speakers. Unlike what you may be used to for speaker output connections (rca type jacks or speaker terminals) the 2i2 has 1/4" phone jack outputs. The Abelton Live Light 8 is a "freebie" version of another DAW that you don't need to install unles you want to. The video is pretty good, follow the instructions and the previous posts here and you should be OK. Rememebr to get the latest driver as the video indicates.
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

That Ableton is recording software but as you already use the best software in the world (mixcraft) you don't need to worry yourself because it isn't as good. :D

The 2 speakers outputs are for connecting monitoring speakers, use the big monitoring knob to adjust volume. I personally prefer head phones for monitoring
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Just a cautionary here folks - always have 'in your plans' a decent set of studio monitors suitable for the size room you mix in. Don't confuse these with Hi Fi speakers which can color the sound.

Depending on the headphones you use, you can sometimes find a vast difference when the same mix is played back on monitors.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
LeeJ

Post by LeeJ »

That's why I spent hundreds on my headphones. I find it better for the neighbors too.

Although I do agree about the mixing, there is some differences.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

LeeJ wrote:That's why I spent hundreds on my headphones. I find it better for the neighbors too.

Although I do agree about the mixing, there is some differences.
I've found that headphones can be far too forgiving with the sound. Just about anything sounds good through my Shure SRH440's, thus making them totally unsuitable for mixing and mastering.