Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Looking to collaborate with somebody on a Mixcraft project? This the place! Please be mindful of others' privacy and be careful what you post in the public thread.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Tapper Mike

Re: Open Collaboration Project, or just for fun project.

Post by Tapper Mike »

outteh

Post by outteh »

Ok I g0t 4 tracks - the three original of Mark's and one VB3 organ track. Mark should be OK now. :)
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Its no problem, part of the intention of starting this was to offer an opportunity to learn how to do collabs, so we are all learning together here. Some of the details have surprised me, when I expected it to be so easy. Some other areas I expected stumbles.
That's why I tried to keep this first one simple, and haven't really pushed for a time limitation.

Eager to see what you have recorded!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

I just slapped this together in biab. Add chords > pick style > export to .mid > import to mixcraft

http://tappermike.com/mixcraft/breezystorm.mx6
I'll supply a chord chart later for any potential jammers.

My point is...I prefer to do most of the grunt work in .mid (save file space) I have plugins that others may not. They may have plugins that I don't. Maintaing a .mid format (with the exception of stuff I actually play) makes sense to me.

Mark, I love the blues, we could do blues forever and a day and I'd be happy. I've actually been in a blues band and hosted live blues jams many years back.

I'd like to contribute more then simply dropping jam tracks.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Tapper Mike wrote:Everything in one zip.
OK, got it. I didn't catch that the bounce track 4 VB3 IS your contribution. I coulda figured that out. 8)
But were good now, got it and added it.
Tapper Mike wrote:I just slapped this together in biab.
I'll supply a chord chart later for any potential jammers.
Nice tune! I dig the drum groove. I'd encourage you to start a separate project thread and run with that, and anything else you have to offer Mike! More activity in the collabs forum would be awesome, and part of the buzz I was trying to kick off here.
Tapper Mike wrote:I prefer to do most of the grunt work in .mid (save file space) I have plugins that others may not. They may have plugins that I don't. Maintaing a .mid format (with the exception of stuff I actually play) makes sense to me.
I agree it makes a lot of sense, especially given file size and upload/download/project size aspects. But I considered that not everyone works with or is comfortable with midi. I am barely comfortable with the basics. But you certainly make valid points, and midi tracks are welcome in this project.
Like I said, I originally intended to leave any midi submissions as is, but part of what I discovered was that in order to retain the contributors intended instrument and sounds, after transferring the track into the project, I would have to copy too many settings, and for now, just rendering their tracks and loading the stems into a master project seemed the simplest solution for me. If I just loaded the raw midi, we would have about ten tracks playing piano by default..... Not exactly idea inspiring!
This project was supposed to be a simple starter to get some ideas rolling! I have learned several lessons, proving it just doesn't always work out the way I planned. But we've got a good basis for some mixing fun to come! I think I am at 26 tracks, and I am still planning to add a few sound clips to the project myself, as soon as I get a few moments to bang on a tambo, shakers, or something. And there's still plenty of opportunity for anyone else to replace the drums, play a new bass track, add more instruments, or some truly original inventive content of any sort.
Tapper Mike wrote:Mark, I love the blues, we could do blues forever and a day and I'd be happy. I've actually been in a blues band and hosted live blues jams many years back.
I figured a basic Blues track would generate the most interest and get this thing kicked off. I wont bore you with my own journey of musical interest, but suffice it to say the Blues, and Blues based music is one of my core favorites, from the original Delta Blues, to the Texas style and everything in between. Yep, big fan.
Tapper Mike wrote:I'd like to contribute more then simply dropping jam tracks.
Doors wide open buddy! Participate in this project, future projects, add your own projects and ideas, time and imagination are the only limits I see. I have a collection of backing tracks, (Mostly Blues, imagine that!) partial tracks, works in progress, various things I am willing to throw a few out here and see what happens. I think Toms chomping at the bit to do some more :D
I'd love to see all kinds of collabs, and see this become one of the most active sections of the Acoustica forum! Lets do it!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
outteh

Post by outteh »

Yes more BLUES! 8) Would be great to do a little country or bluegrass tune. I believe there are a few banjo players out there and some blues harp players. I'd like to hear a good 8 bar blues progression to work off of. Of course, my problem is I'm all over the place with the music creation bug and have quite a few works in progress and experiments running at the same time. Sometimes I get sooooo CONFUSED!!!!! :lol:
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

Tom,

Here's a little something to wet your whistle with.
http://tappermike.com/kvr/blu2u.html

It's going to be work for me. (I'm just typing out loud, I'm sure I've already stated this)
I want to do a screen cast with my preferred plugins (as shown/heard in the link above)
Which doesn't happen in biab.
Meaning I have to.
1. Score the song in biab format and match a style
2. Take a screencast of the biab performance
3. Clean up the Screencast.
4. Export the midi and import it into mixcraft
5. Import the screencast into mixcraft and get it aligned properly.
6. Apply vsti's to the midi tracks
7. Mixdown the video in mixcraft
8. Import the video to a flash convertor.

I am not going to upload the entire mixcraft piece. I may mark the sections but I really don't want to try and mark out the chord changes.

What jammers will recieve is..
A link to the screencast
The mixcraft file with the parts in midi format using the included Acoustica instruments.

If they want to apply plugins (vsti, vst) that they have to the original mid's that's fine by me I encourage it but reluctant to download all of that.

Not all biab is midi export. Some are "real tracks" I'm not going to pull the real tracks out and drop them into mixcraft as it increases the amount of time I have to spend on a project and... increases the mixcraft file size I'd share.
outteh

Post by outteh »

OK! Us old folks need some help, the acronyms are killing me. biab? Also, for jamming purposes a simple MP3 or WAV file works. For collaboration purposes, especially with the mixing/mastering concept in mind, all the tracks would be beneficial. The problem, as Mark points out, is that unless the track is rendered to a WAV file, any effects and "tweaking" that was done would have to be duplicated into the "master" project file. Too much work. So his "retooling" of the master project is a good idea. Screencast and pdf chord charts are a great idea, but it will start to get very complicated going forward. A simple explanation of the key and chord progression suffices.
Now, of course, it's your project/concept. Don't mean to say it won't work, just warning of some of the problems to be encountered, just as Mark has run into. :)
I have to wait till tonight to hear the "wet your whistle" track. I'll let you know. :wink:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I'm right with you Tom, except I know what Biab is. Band-in-a-box. I have seen instructors use it to quickly create backing tracks for lessons, and it is a pretty remarkable program.

Mike, not sure exactly what you are describing, especially the screen cast portion, but hey, that's OK! Just add; 9:"Explain what your doing for the old farts" to your list. 8)
Edit: Ok, after reviewing the "Blu2U" file in the latest link, I see that it was an example of the type of thing you want to present. More understandable now. Go for it!

But first, again-I appreciate the presentation of new ideas and project files. In fact I am very enthusiastic about it. But new project/new method=new subject. Start a new thread and present your idea and projects! Please help me try to keep this thread at least mostly on the "12 Bar Blues Collab" project topic.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

Apologies Mark
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

Mark,

Are you a drummer/percussionist?

If you are then recording drums into mixcraft may be a challenge. Might I suggest a nano pad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APLHveQiNLU

The 2 series (nanopad2) has an improved velocity sensitivity over the original. Granted it's not playing real drums. But is more effective for laying down drums then a standard keyboard controller. They are quite reasonably priced.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Tapper Mike wrote:Mark, Are you a drummer/percussionist?
For certain, no! I was just suggesting I would record any old thing in my collection of musical toy collection, just for fun, to add to the project. And for the record, I am not that hip on the midi stuff in general. Trying to learn enough to add to my virtual "tool-set" but so far in my experience, its not winning me over.

What I am is a stringed instrument collector and amateur luthier who fiddles with playing things but never really has gone down the path to mastering much of anything. But I have a passion for home made music with substitute instruments and sounds. And collaborating for fun and education.

As an example, my very first digital multitrack recording was a blues tune resembling Stormy Monday performed on one of the cigar box guitars I made, accompanied by a "drum set" of cardboard box struck by a kitchen utensil wrapped on a hand towel and a pan lid struck by the handle of a wooden kitchen spoon, etc. And I got a friend in Britain to collaborate, by laying down another cigar box guitar track. It was a fun learning experience and was published on an online "album" called "Homemade Blues" that was downloaded some 600+ times (at last check.) Its not very good IMO, quite rough, for the most part, but there's a couple pretty good pieces on there by other more talented folks than me.
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tapper Mike

Post by Tapper Mike »

If I can't make you a midi convert then I shouldn't.

I'm a guitarist who dabbles on the ztar. Of which I love but those who can't/wont adapt to it shouldn't consider such a thing.

This is me shortly after I got it still working out the kinks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oqs2SlmCAhk

This is me as well. (when my hair was considerably long)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYouJfvKlFo

If you'll notice I "tap" the chords with my left hand while tapping a different instrument with my right hand. Hence the moniker "Tapper"
outteh

Post by outteh »

Now, out of over 1400 views of this little topic, I still don,t see any new input! :( It,s not a difficult tune, let,s hear some other tracks! :o
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yeah Tom, seems we stalled here.

I will do some tweaking and post the project with what we have shortly. I was hoping a couple more people at least would throw in a track or two, but I understand. As I said in the beginning, it happens.

So if anyone is still thinking of adding something, its still welcome! Maybe we should say till the end of March and we move forward?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page