Record a Stream?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Bucktail

Record a Stream?

Post by Bucktail »

Trying to figure out how to get Mixcraft 6 to record an output from another program. I guess I could call it "recording a stream". I'm sure Mixcraft can do it but I could not seem to figure it out.

Sometime before I started using Mixcraft I was experimenting with a program called Riffworks T4. I created a couple of projects that I would like to work on in Mixcraft. I 'spose I could create mp3s of the different tracks but it would be so much easier if I could just stream them into Mixcraft. Any ideas or suggestions?
outteh

Re: Record a Stream?

Post by outteh »

If I understand you correctly, it would take a dual sound card capability to do this. For example, the on-board sound card could be used to launch media player that streams a you tube or plays a CD. You could take the headphone output from this sound card and input it into the external audio interface (or mixer board attached to the audio interface). I think the easiest is to create the MP3 or WAV copy and place that into a Mixcraft track in your project. If you have dual audio devices they should showup in Mixcraft when you arm the track for recording, then you can pick which output device you want to capture the sound from. :)
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I did find this old link with what looks to be the same topic.
http://demon.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=7305

So I still want to think that it can be done. I'll have to check again tonight.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Good research. I basically use the windows media player for CD's with the on-board soundcard and stream you tube through the on-board sound card, using the headphone out jack into an Alesis mixing board and then into my M-audio external audio device. For the few times I need this type of feature it works well. :)
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Yes, you can go into your Windows control panel audio / recording devices settings, right-click to display hidden devices, then right-click to enable Stereo Mix.

Note that Stereo Mix captures every sound that your computer is putting out, including Windows beeps and the audio from other tracks in Mixcraft. Solo your recording track if you've got other tracks in your project.

Greg
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Very Good! I will check that out. Thank You!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Sounds like your on track to a solution, but a couple of thoughts anyway:

I have recorded "what you hear" many times using the method Greg describes. Simply turn off Windows sounds, and make sure only what you want to record is set to play. Open Mixcraft, arm a track and set the input to stereo mix off your soundcard, again as described in Greg's reply. Hit record and toggle to your desired audio and start playing it.

If you have the paid version of Riffworks, it is also easy to render to wav and import the file to Mixcraft. I believe the free version of Riffworks only renders to MP3.

While the other methods described are also a solution, keep in mind that the methods described so graciously by Tom here, and others in other threads, may be a less desirable solution, as many of them involve a whole chain of processes that may not be ideal. For example, going from the audio output of one soundcard, wiring to another soundcard, possibly through a mixer, or any similar setup, involves at the least, an unneeded conversion from digital to analog, cabling and circuits, another conversion from analog back to digital, etc..... IMO Its far to easy to use the first two methods.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Thanks for the tips. I Don't need real high quality but certainly want it to sound good.

FYI just using the free version of Riffworks.
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I was able to try it. It took some time but I was finally able to get a signal into Mixcraft. I need to do some more tweaking as the signal was VERY strong. I need to make an adjustment somewhere.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Go back into your recording devices, right-click on Stereo Mix, select Properties, and on the Levels tab, turn down the volume.

Greg