Lean Mean Mixcraft Machine

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Bucktail

Lean Mean Mixcraft Machine

Post by Bucktail »

I currently have an older PC with XP that I have set up as my recording PC but it has lots of stuff on it that isn't needed. I have just been given another old PC with XP that I would like to mess with by starting from scratch. My goal is to create a minimal Win OS for Mixcraft by removing all the un-needed stuff. I haven't done anything yet to create this system but would like to hear from others out there for suggestions and ideas on what the bare minimum Windows OS would need to work as quickly and bloat free to run Mixcraft. I've even thought of trying Win98 if Mixcraft could run on it but will most likely be using XP and just cutting it down. Maybe a better question to ask, is what can I remove from XP to make it a Lean Mean Mixcraft running machine?

Other Applications I would most likely have on the PC
-Firefox or Chrome, or maybe another small browser. Not a fan of IE
-Wordpad
-Able to network so I can move files from computer to computer and backup.

-Antivirus I know if I am connected to the internet I would need an antivirus so I would like any ideas on what antivirus to use that is free and will not bog down my system.

Any suggestions or Ideas Mixcrafters?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Lean Mean Mixcraft Machine

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you been through the "Optimize your PC for Mixcraft" topic in this forum? That has lots and lots of suggestions.

Win 98 won't work, it has to be at least Windows XP. Microsoft is going to stop issuing security updates for Windows XP soon. You might consider Windows 7 for this stripped down PC.

Greg
J Gretch

Post by J Gretch »

If you do choose to go with Win-7 this link will get you in pretty good shape.

http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/art ... windows-7/
omtayslick

Post by omtayslick »

I have an XP machine with nothing but music related software in it. This machine will never see the internet again. I can go on this way indefinitely. But....... If you're running XP it would be wise to stay off the net.
Tom