Plug in that can correct vocals?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

M@rkus

Plug in that can correct vocals?

Post by M@rkus »

Hi,

Since I´m a terrible singer I often wished that I had some kind of vst plug in (preferably free...) that could correct my vocals, wich are out of pitch now and then...
Anybody who knows about such a plug in?
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
Vibrant Audio

Re: Plug in that can correct vocals?

Post by Vibrant Audio »

Mixcraft 6 includes the GSnap Pitch Correction Plugin. You should already have it and it should show up in your FX list. :)
*Vibrant Audio*
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Vibrant Audio wrote:Mixcraft 6 includes the GSnap Pitch Correction Plugin. You should already have it and it should show up in your FX list. :)
Thanks for a quick reply! Yes I use the GSnap, but I haven´t been able to figure out how to correct my out of pitch vocals. All I use the GSnap for is to see how far out of tune I am...
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Certainly not free but has some committed followers....

http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/celemony-m ... tAodRnoA5g
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

fredfish wrote:Certainly not free but has some committed followers....

http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/celemony-m ... tAodRnoA5g
Yes, many refer to this but I can´t afford it at the moment. What I´m trying to avoid is that "robotic" effect that GSnap produces.
M@rkus/
Sweden
Vibrant Audio

Post by Vibrant Audio »

To get transparent correction, a tool like Melodyne which fredfish suggested is the best bet.

Here's the GSnap Manual. That may help understand the settings better.

In GSnap, choosing the 'Subtle Pitch Correction' preset and then tweaking primarily the Attack and Amount knobs, and secondly the Threshold and Release knobs might give you acceptable results.

Now if the vocal is really horrible to start with it's practically impossible to fix realistically. :lol:
*Vibrant Audio*
outteh

Post by outteh »

Another method is to go into the sound tab and adjust the pitch just slightly. Sometimes this "evens" out the off set notes. :D
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Thank you Vibrant Audio and Outteh for your suggestions which I will try!
M@rkus/
Sweden
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

I seem to have better luck using Kerovee. Don't know why but it has worked for me.

http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/kerovee.html
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Bucktail wrote:I seem to have better luck using Kerovee. Don't know why but it has worked for me.

http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/kerovee.html

Thank you for the tip! I have downloaded it and will try it!
M@rkus/
Sweden
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

It's best to start with the 'Subtle pitch correction' preset on GSnap, and if that doesn't work well enough, then try the 'Less subtle correction' preset. That 'robotic' effect (normally referred to as T-Pane effect) is caused by the correction speed being set too fast, so if it occurs then reduce the setting on the 'Speed' control to enable more natural transitions.

I wonder if your singing is made worse by headphones that are unsuitable for tracking. I'v been a vocalist in bands, and even leading bass in my old school choir (although I am a baritone), yet I kept struggling to do a decent vocal track. I eventually realised that it was being caused by my pricey Shure SRH440 headphones that I was using for tracking; they were 'bigging-up' the sound, so causing me to do an under-whelming and flat performance into the microphone. After trying a series of cheaper headphones, with varying amounts of success, I soon realised that hifi headphones are not suitable for tracking. I now use a pair of inexpensive Sennheiser MX365 earplugs, and cover them with a pair of unplugged sealed headphones to reduce sound leakage. Consequently, I now give much better performances. Another thing too is to avoid too much colouration in your tracking signal, maybe a fair amount of reverb to give you a sense of space, but as little compression as possible in order to maintain good diction.
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Thats good suggestions! I´ve got tinitus and got to have the volume really low on my headphones (AKG 141), sometimes I´ve got problems with hearing the backing track, and that does probably not help to get a good vocal.

But the biggest problem, I think, is that I got big problems with holding a note and I never practise singing seriously.
M@rkus/
Sweden
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I just came across another free auto-tune plugin, called MAutoPitch. I've not tried it yet, but you may want to give this a go. One thing this has over GSnap is a formant control, which can make your voice sound deeper or lighter. Kerovee also has a formant control but I find that plugin a bit messy.

Unfortunately, it's only available as part of a bigger bundle of free plugins:
http://www.meldaproduction.com/plugins/ ... MAutoPitch

Edit: I've tried this and it's pretty good, and far better than GSnap. It's even possible with this to achieve a stereo widening that combines with a subtle ADT effect, but this plugin does takes a bit of fiddling around to get used to.