new user...asio4all?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jasonhigdon64

new user...asio4all?

Post by jasonhigdon64 »

Hi there!

I'm new here, and just purchased mixcraft 3, along with a samson usb C01U powered microphone. I am running on a HP pavillion laptop with windows xp operating system. Basically, I would like to make simple multi track recordings using acoustic guitars, mandolins, bongos, etc. My question is basicallly, do I need anything else to do so. I've played around a bit and there seems to be no real issues with laying over tracks. I hear/read alot here with regards to ASIO4ALL, and was wondering if it would be recommended to install this, or would there be any real need, without going through a USB interface. I'm kind of a computer and recording virgin! :oops:

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Jason
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

if you're notexperiencing latency or lagging problems you don't need asio4all.but if you get those issues after laying on a lot of fx or trACKS THEN YOU MAY NEED IT. A HELPFUL HINT IS- WHEN RECORDING OR USING MIXCRAFT,TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET OR ANYTHING ELSE RUNNING THAT YOU DON'T NEED- ESPECIALLY FIREWALLS OR VIRUS PROTECTION- THEY TAKE UP A LOT OF ENERGY.sorry for the caps- i hit the button. hope it helps.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

What kind of soundcard do you have? gypsy101's advice is good: shut down all unnecessary programs when you record and just give it a try.

The problem you might run into would be latency or lag. ASIO4All might help with this.

Otherwise, you might consider getting a new soundcard.

Greg
Sanction

Post by Sanction »

2nd post, Hope this helps.

If you are using a USB device as your sound card, you will notice some latency issues. ASIO is a driver for sound cards such as a typical PCI to allow for audio to be passed straight through the audio card instead of being processed by the sound card. Thus giving a low latency. With USB however this driver will not work. But don't fret, there is a solution for you! USB ASIO is a driver specifically designed for USB interfaces to give as low as 4ms latency. you can find it here: http://www.usb-audio.com/download.html
The demo has a beep every 30 seconds, and the driver costs $50 USD. This may not work for everyone, but it's a cheap alternative to buying a good sound card.
All things were first a conception!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You can get very very low latency through a USB device, as long as your computer has USB 2.0. I don't know that third party ASIO drivers would work better than the native drivers that come with the USB device.

Greg
Sanction wrote:2nd post, Hope this helps.

If you are using a USB device as your sound card, you will notice some latency issues. ASIO is a driver for sound cards such as a typical PCI to allow for audio to be passed straight through the audio card instead of being processed by the sound card. Thus giving a low latency. With USB however this driver will not work. But don't fret, there is a solution for you! USB ASIO is a driver specifically designed for USB interfaces to give as low as 4ms latency. you can find it here: http://www.usb-audio.com/download.html
The demo has a beep every 30 seconds, and the driver costs $50 USD. This may not work for everyone, but it's a cheap alternative to buying a good sound card.
Sanction

Post by Sanction »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

You can get very very low latency through a USB device, as long as your computer has USB 2.0. I don't know that third party ASIO drivers would work better than the native drivers that come with the USB device.

Greg
Well not that I have very many usb devices, but in my case, I have a Peavey Mixer w/USB connection and it did not come with drivers. The stock window drivers leave me with as high as 170ms :( Using the USB ASIO Driver afore mentioned, dropped my latency to as low as 4ms. This made all the difference in the world for recording purposes. I'm sure there are plenty of USB device manufacturers that have the for thought to include a USB ASIO driver for there customers. Peavey did not... For those with high latency usb devices this is a good alternative to buying an expensive sound card. Again hope it helps even one person as it did for me...

Edited by Sanction
I did purchase my Peavey Mixer new, and I have USB 2.0...
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

A lot of USB devices designed for home recording do include ASIO drivers. For example, the M-Audio Fast Track Pro does, as does the Lexicon Lambda.
Sanction

Post by Sanction »

Why is this feeling like an argument? And some USB Devices do not!
jasonhigdon64

Post by jasonhigdon64 »

Thanks all...
I've actually been experimenting a little, and find little to no latency anyway, though I am strickly recording acoustics with a USB mic and do not monitor. My USB are 2.0 so I guess this helps. For now I tyhink I'll stay away from the Asio4all or new sound-card, but as I dive deeper into the mixcraft world I will definitely take some of the above advice. Thanks again,
Jason