Buy version 6 now or wait for 7 at the end of the year?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

musicalbiscuit

Buy version 6 now or wait for 7 at the end of the year?

Post by musicalbiscuit »

For the past few months I have been using trial versions of various music software, and out of all of them I have finally made the decision that Mixcraft is the best to go for for value for money and features.

I used to use fruityloops a lot when I was younger, but I want something feature rich (but not too rich), certainly cheaper and more simple now. Mixcraft seems that it will suit my needs after trying:
Reaper,
Magix,
Acid MS 10, a free version that came with my video editing software,
Cuebase LE7 (not elements 7), that came with my Zoom R8,
Cakewalk (again a watered down version), that came with my studio condenser mic.

With Mixcraft 7 just around the corner, possibly by the end of the year, beginning of next by the looks of thing's, I'm not sure weather to grab 6 now or wait and get 7 when it's out so I wont have to pay a silly amount to upgrade to the latest version of the software in just 5-6 months time.

What do you lot think that have been using the software for the past couple of versions?

Cheers
Acoustica Greg

Re: Buy version 6 now or wait for 7 at the end of the year?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

In the past, the upgrade fee to go from one major version to the next (like Mixcraft 5 to Mixcraft 6) has been $20. The upgrade fee for Mixcraft 7 hasn't been set yet, but it's likely to be the same or similarly affordable.

Greg
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

+10 to Greg - Don't wait, the upgrade is extremely unlikely to be "Silly money".
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Seconded! Buy now, affordably upgrade later.

What I've noticed is that the upgrade price tends to make up the difference between the purchase cost of the previous and current version, e.g. MX5 was around $60 IIRC, and the upgrade cost was ~$20. MX6 is $80 normally.
mick

Post by mick »

It doesn't make sense to spend the next few months learning or working on a program you are going to replace, learn Mixcraft 6 ready for 7, any music you make meanwhile will be compatible with MX7.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Buy it, Buy it, Buy it (nad get Mixcrfat 6 Pro, lot's of good VSTi's and extra features over Mixcrfat 6)! :D
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

I was planning on getting the Pro Studio version for all the extra's, well worth the money.

Some company's charge silly money to upgrade to the next version of their software, that was what I was worried about, but if it's only likely to be $20 (or there similar price range) to upgrade to 7 I might as well go ahead and get 6 and have some practice then.

Thanks for the replies, you've shoved me off the fence I was sitting on for 7.

Of course you'll have to put up with whatever 'noise' I produce as I'll be sure to share here for some constructive advice :)

Cheers
outteh

Post by outteh »

Bring it on! We need more noise makers! :D :D :D :D :D
Bucktail

Post by Bucktail »

Don't forget to check into the discounts you may have coming to you if you are a student.

http://acoustica.com/edu/resellers-vars.htm
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

Bucktail wrote:Don't forget to check into the discounts you may have coming to you if you are a student.

http://acoustica.com/edu/resellers-vars.htm
Cheers mate, I'm not a student though, so picked up the normal, well, pro studio edition :)

I'll get round to looking at it soon, searching about for more free loops, most of the sites I used to know don't exist anymore.... though that was around 12+ years ago when I used to use fruity loops :lol:

tris
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

You could do a lot worse than look at Groove Monky http://groovemonkee.com/

They have a load of free loops with new ones coming out every month. Obviously it depends on what you want.

Another source (though not free) is the UK magazine "Computer Music" that can be bought electronically through Zinio that has a shed load of loops every month - if you buy it monthly from Zinio (giving you access to the downloads) it is about £2.50 a month. http://gb.zinio.com/magazine/Computer%2 ... 5/cat-1171

Cheers

John
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

Thanks very much for that John. I'm into pretty much everything, from classical to dubstep, I'm also currently learning how to play the guitar/electric guitar and have a Zoom R8 which I expect I'll be able to use as an audio interface for Mixcraft too.

I do prefer a hard copy of a magazine, but if I can read it on my pc and mobile devices (phone and nexus), which it seems I can if I buy from Zinio, and have access to download whats on the dvd as downloads too, for £27.99 per year it seems a no brainer.

Plus of course, it'll have advice and tutorials no doubt, along with free loops and normal magazine stuff.

I'll certainly consider that one.

tris
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

Well, the upgrade from pro studio 6 to pro studio 7 is a lot more than around $20, it's $65.. which is what Acoustica Greg said it would likely be from the forum back in July

I'd rather have waited and not wasted my money, I can't help but to feel a bit conned here still as I stated that I could buy now (which was July this year) or wait until 7 is released, and was advised by Acoustica forum staff to buy back then.

I'm pleased to see it's now released as I have been looking forward to it, but it is $45 more than I was told it would be.

Obviously I put my trust in the wrong place with this company.

tris
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If you would be slightly more patient and wait for a reply, perhaps you might enjoy the good news......
There has been a few questions on this and several responses saying the codes for the special deal will be going out to those who qualify in short order. Just a few days.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

I had not been informed about any codes? I assumed that the $65 was the price for the upgrade from pro6 to pro 7 since they already have that up on the site now:
http://acoustica.com/cgi/upgrade.php?p=16

tris