Adjust selection

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

jaborandi

Adjust selection

Post by jaborandi »

:?: Hi, fellow mixcraft users!

Does anyone know, is it possible to alter selection (of the part of the track(s))? Like, standard way is that after you selected something, if you move cursor close to the edge of the selected area, it changes to that double-arrow one, and you can drag the edge, thus expanding / contracting the selection.

I'm really sorry, because I really-really-REALLY suspect I miss it and I feel totally dumb.

I used Mixcrafts 3 and 4 previously and could never find how to do it, and was just thinking: okay, weird, but probably it's not there. But now in Mixcraft 6 I still cannot do this! I believe I'm just stupid and feature is there, it should be?!

B/c if not - then just... omg lol

p.s. I also checked Help - "Selecting Clips" - there's nothing about adjustment there
MrRatermat

Re: Adjust selection

Post by MrRatermat »

Unfortunately not as far as I know. You can reselect, but thats probably the advice you were asking for.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 6 doesn't have an option to drag selections like that, but thanks for the suggestion!

Of course, you can hold down the Ctrl key to select more than one clip.

Greg
mick

Post by mick »

If you want to edit part of a track you need to select that part and split it. In other words you are going to isolate that section and edit it without affecting anything else so you need a start and end point. The red arrow shows the selected part and the blue arrow shows where it was dragged/extended to using the two little hands feature. (CTRL + left click) You will find the separated part of the track to the right will need to be repositioned for continuity and I suggest you zoom in for accuracy. In this example the track was split at 7 and 8 on the timeline and extended to 9. To make a split point left click in the edit part of the track (the green band) and right click for the menu or press CTRL + T.
EDIT: If you drag a selection of the track into a new track you can then stretch and add an effect but all clips along that track will be affected. If you want to make a few selections and add a different effect to each one then you need to put each selection onto its own track, so if you make 5 selections each with a different effect there will be 5 additional tracks. Someone greater than I will no doubt have a solution to tidy things up, maybe by mixing all 6 tracks into one? HELP!

I made a MX7 suggestion where this could be done on the one original track but I found this to be a workaround. Hope this answers your question if I read it right.
Split track.PNG
Split track.PNG (68.44 KiB) Viewed 2743 times
jaborandi

Post by jaborandi »

Thanks to everyone for your replies

@MrRatermat: unfortunately indeed!

@mick: I'm very sorry for the confusion caused by my careless use of terms contraction and expansion. I was talking about changing of how much is selected - not doing changes to what is selected. And you gave so much time explaining that, sorry!

@Greg: thanks for official confirmation. At least I know I'm not wasting time while it is somewhere there.

I vote fervently for this feature, it's such a must have in any interface, I'm very surprised no one have asked about it yet (I searched the forum).

Here's just one use case (perhaps very frequent for many users) where the lack of selection adjustment makes the task very inconvenient to fulfill:

When you simply want to save some part of the long recording, you do this by selecting it and then mixing down with "selection only" checkbox checked. But: if you zoom out, you cannot see where exactly you want selection to start and end. If you zoom in, you see either start, or the end, not all at once.
So natural wish is to set one end precisely, then navigate to other end and adjust it, while zooming out / in in the process.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks again for the suggestion! That would be a nice feature.

For product update news, click "Like" on Mixcraft's Facebook page or sign up for the Acoustica Newsletter.

Greg