Looking for a Keyboard to use with & without Mixcraft 6P....

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

musicalbiscuit

Looking for a Keyboard to use with & without Mixcraft 6P....

Post by musicalbiscuit »

....As title.
(If this is in the wrong section, please relocate it)
Thought I'd have a little more luck reposting here within the mixcraft users section as some may have tried various keyboards with mixcraft for different reasons.

Had mixcraft 6 pro studio for a while now and love the software, can't thank you enough for a nice and easy to use piece of software :)

However, when using the Mesiah/Memory Moon etc.... VSTi's, I'm finding using my computer keyboard a nightmare, I'd much prefer a 61 key keyboard.

At first I was thinking of just getting a control pad like or similar to an M-Audio oxygen 61 Gen4
http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/maudio-oxyge ... ii-4g.html

However I also already have and use a Zoom R8:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/zoom-r8/44713

I had seen these little things too:
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/roland-a300-pro ... ller/30247

....but I'd prefer a 61 key keyboard that I can use with Mixcraft 6, but also want one I can use on it's own and with my Zoom R8 while away from my computer.

I have a personal taste preference for Yamaha stuff, have done for years so I found this:
http://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and ... yboard/QMC

I like it as a keyboard in it's own right, nothing too fancy, it's just above what I'm wanting to spend (was going to go up to £150.... I mainly learn the guitar, electric guitar) and it says it has 'usb to host.'

So, just a couple of questions (pretty much beginner questions):

1. Does 'USB to Host' mean that I can not only plug it into my but, but it will work with Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio?

2. Since I mainly want one for the 61 keys, does it matter if it doesn't have a drum pad, faders etc (as I presume my Zoom R8 should be ok for that)?

3. Would compatability of the USB to Host roll over to Mixcraft 7?

4. Can I use it with the keyboards own sounds through Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio?
Either via usb or via the Zoom R8 as an interface

Cheers

tris
Vibrant Audio

Re: Looking for a Keyboard to use with & without Mixcraft 6P

Post by Vibrant Audio »

musicalbiscuit wrote:... just a couple of questions (pretty much beginner questions):

1. Does 'USB to Host' mean that I can not only plug it into my but, but it will work with Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio?

2. Since I mainly want one for the 61 keys, does it matter if it doesn't have a drum pad, faders etc (as I presume my Zoom R8 should be ok for that)?

3. Would compatability of the USB to Host roll over to Mixcraft 7?

4. Can I use it with the keyboards own sounds through Mixcraft 6 Pro Studio?
Either via usb or via the Zoom R8 as an interface
That keyboard should do you just fine. It's a good idea to get a foot pedal, as well. There is the next step down for that model here. It will work as well. And if it doesn't come with one, you'll also need a usb cable to connect to the computer.

As far as your questions:
1. Might be painful, but you should be able to "plug it into your but." YMMV. :D You can use it with Mixcraft 6, no problem.
2. You're absolutely right, not necessary.
3. Will work with Mixcraft 7 as well.
4. To use the keyboards own sounds, you would have to connect the headphones out of the keyboard into an audio in on you interface or computer. It won't transmit the sound over the USB.

So the USB makes the keyboard a controller for virtual instruments in Mixcraft and the headphone out allows you to get the keyboard generated sounds out of the keyboard and into your computer.

Hope that helps!

P.S. I think you might find better prices for that keyboard if you shop around.
*Vibrant Audio*
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

Thanks for the reply :)

Erm, yeah, pretty tired today, I guess that would hurt ;)

I found that 243, but I like the 343 better, it's got a fair bit more on it for working away from Mixcraft.

Can you suggest a foot pedal? I'm not really sure what to look for. I'm sure I have a few usb cables like that around, where the wife put them I don't know, but they are cheap enough to pick up another.... one can never have too many cables :)

So USB - Keyboard controller
Headphone out to line in on computer - Keyboard sounds on computer.... I do have on board sound, realtek as usual on a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3, though it only says support for CD in:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3423#sp

However, I do have a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 24-bit External USB Sound Card, but for recording it's not that great, when I have tried with it it's pretty choppy.

Might have to get a half decent sound card, I'd need recommendations for line in recording though I think, as I've not really looked at sound cards for years.
(for ref, my music system, nothing like my gaming rig, basic specs are:
Win 8
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 (as above)
Amd 6 core @ 3.2ghz
8gb g.skill ripjaws
gigabyte 7850)

I'll take a look on the music sites and also ebuyer and overclockers. They are usually pretty cheap.

As for the Keyboard, the cheapest I have found it is £147, but that's refurbished and I'd rather buy new :)

tris
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: I would expect no good sounds from plugging it in that way...... 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

If you've got any retailers nearby that sell these types of keyboards, you might go try them out in person to get an idea of what the keyboards feel like.

Greg
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks, I needed that!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

There are several types of pedal which do different jobs. In the Yamaha range, there's the FC3/4 which are like piano pedals which work as a damper/sustain, a cheaper version would be the M-Audio SP2.
FC5 pedal is basically an on/off footswitch which can be configured to start/stop the accompaniments in the keyboard.
FC7 is an expression pedal which can be configured to act as a foot controlled volume, mod wheel or pitch bend etc. A cheaper version is the M-Audio EX-P.

Be aware that different keyboard manufacturers use different configurations for the wiring of their foot pedals .. I have found the M-Audio pedal to be very good as they normally have a polarity switch which makes them more compatible with more manufacturers.

Hope that helps :)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

Well, we made someone's day eh mblis :lol: :mrgreen:

Greg,
I have heard a fair few keyboards, and the Yamaha ones are literally music to my ears.

I must admit I prefer the higher end yammy's, but for what I want it for: Something to play away from mixcraft with, record through my Zoom R8/PC/Mixcraft and use as a control for the Messiah, Memory Moon, etc.... in mixcraft, I think the PSR 343 is all I need.
My main instruments I'm learning to play are Electric, Acoustic and Bass Guitar. Mixcraft and keyboard are going to eventually accompany them. I'm basically just building myself a little home music studio :)

Tiasdad, Cheers for the information, I never knew what the pedals were actually for used with pianos, keyboards etc.... I'll have to take a look at Yamaha's website.

Would it be worth getting a sound card to put in the computer to go from the Headphone out of the keyboard to a line in, or would the line in on the back of the computer be fine for recording?
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3423#sp

Cheers

tris
musicalbiscuit

Post by musicalbiscuit »

I went for this in the end:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-PSRE343- ... B00C9UXXQW

It should be arriving later today, No idea where I'm going to put it yet as this is my little music studio corner along with my lil music studio pc:

I have a foldable desk that I can put it on when I'm using it, other than that I'm having trouble finding a place to put it when not in use.... The wife will love me :mrgreen:

tris

edit: Managed to put it down the side of the pc. I'll dig out a usb lead tomorrow and see how it performs :)