Importing Sound Files to Library and Arranging Them

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Sentinel

Importing Sound Files to Library and Arranging Them

Post by Sentinel »

I have Mixcraft 7 demo Build 248. I'm super impressed with it so far and I'm really enjoying learning it. I don't have much experience with DAWs, but enough to know the basics and find my way around. Also the tutorial vids have been helpful. I think I'm about ready to purchase and also recommend the purchase to a friend.

My question right now is this; after importing additional sound files into the library in Mixcraft, and even though a did select "Preserve Folder Structure", they are all just showing up in the library together under "Imported", and are not organized in any of the separate folders they were imported with. There are thousands of sounds here, and if they aren't organized into categorical folders they're basically useless. When I checked the actual folder locations at C:\ProgramData\Acoustica\Mixcraft\UserLibrarySounds\Imported\ , the structures there are indeed correct.

I'm hoping there is some way to organize the library. Is there a way to do that, and if so how do I?
Mark Bliss

Re: Importing Sound Files to Library and Arranging Them

Post by Mark Bliss »

I haven't had the opportunity to explore this in 7 yet, so I am not aware if there is a change.
(Edit: just peeked, looks the same)

But the answer is that you can do this, but its tedious because you have to edit each added sound listing, one by one.
If you click on the "Edit Library" button (next to "+Import") you can enter the information field data for parameters like Instrument, style, song kit, even key if you wish, and then the sounds can be searched in the same way as the original library. But it takes a long mind numbing time to do large numbers of them. Don't ask how I know........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

OK, that's unfortunate, but thanks for the help. Perhaps there is an easier way someone knows of and they'll share it here.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

If I recall correctly, it was discussed some time ago as a possible future improvement.
What would be a great benefit would be to be able to highlight and edit columns of cells as groups.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

So far I've seen no other issues like this with the software. This is the first thing I came across early on that appears to be a glaring oversight on the part of the developers. I don't think it will prevent me from buying it though, but it's definitely a turn off. I sure hope the devs are working on this.
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

I decided I had better check out some other DAWs before buying this one, and the two I looked at, which are Cubase and Ableton Live actually have very nice and advanced media management interfaces and capabilities. Nice enough that now more than likely I will be buying one of them instead of Mixcraft, which is a bummer, because like I said, besides the media management issue issues, I loved everything else I've come across in the program so far.
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

You might do well to hold on - Acoustica have said this issue will be addressed with build 249 due probably this week.
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

The new feature that is being added to build 249 is the option to set the record folder, which addresses the audio subfolder issue we were talking about in the beta forum, Trevor.

There isn't any special update to the library coming this week as far as I know. If editing the loop info doesn't seem feasible (it's pretty easy to edit quickly using tab and arrow keys), and you're interested in the file structure of the way loops are stored, why not just use Windows file explorer to browse through the loops? You can easily drag and drop them directly into Mixcraft from Windows.

Greg
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Well, that's really inconvenient and would tend to pull me too far out of my workflow, but thanks for the suggestion.

Check out this video and see how good a media manager can be. Also in the new version it's now dockable to either side of your window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg1NLKWCTw4
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Thanks for the feature suggestion!

Greg
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Well, perhaps if and when a better media manager and browser is implemented I'll be back to buy Mixcraft, but until then I'll have to buy something else. Aside from this issue Mixcraft would have been my choice.
Last edited by Sentinel on Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're sorry to hear that this one particular feature is a deal breaker for you. If you get frustrated with the other software, check us out again!

Greg
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

So far I've tried several DAWs and still am. Media management aside, there's none that I like as much as Mixcraft. For me it is number one in the areas of ease of use, logical and intuitive interface, and overall workflow, besides the media management. This is tough. I do think that Mixcraft is number one for me out of the ones I've tried so far besides this one important area. And I'll tell you this, once and if the Devs do address this issue, there will be nothing at all I've come across too complain about. It really is that good from what I've seen and used of it so far. I haven't purchased any other DAW yet, so I still have to keep Mixcraft on my list of possibilities.
BremenCole

Post by BremenCole »

I am a new user of Mixcraft, and I agree that the browser is just about worthless. But, over the past 13 years I have tried just about every DAW there is, and owned many of them. I have a license for FL Studio, Cubase 4, Reaper 3, Sonar X3 Studio, and Studio 1.2 . Every one of them have a much better media browser that Mixcraft. Funny thing is none are installed on my computer except Sonar X3 Studio, and the only reason its on there is for the Rapture and Z3ta synths.

I have been using Mixcraft for about 3 weeks, and can already get around and get things done quicker than with DAW's I used for years. Mixcraft 7 is amazing. I can live with the crappy media browser because everything else is so good.

My fav DAW before Mixcraft was my old Project 5, which has long been discontinued. For me Mixcraft is like a shiny multi-core and 64 bit Project 5. And that's a great thing....

Sorry for the ramble..... My advice, get the DAW that works best for you. Don't let 1 weak feature overshadow the overall ease of use and strong features.
MPC Touch / Mixcraft 7 Pro / Tracktion 7
Windows 10 desktop/2012 Macbook Pro
https://www.soundcloud.com/entercede
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

I've been testing all the top DAWs out save for a few like it's a full time job here, and I'm still launching Mixcraft and it feels like a breath of fresh air. The most amazing Media Browser I've come across so far is the one in Cubase, it really is amazing, but I'm not getting on with the actual program itself very well.