Mixcraft, Kontakt and mouse-scrolling.

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

bibbis

Mixcraft, Kontakt and mouse-scrolling.

Post by bibbis »

Hi everyone.
I just upgraded to Mixcraft 7 and I am having a good time exploring the new features and tweaks.
I am especially loving the 64-bit support!

There is one big complaint I have for you though, and I guess I'm going to come off a bit ungrateful here, but it's bugging me like crazy.
My first Mixcraft was MC6, and it was love at first sight, but this issue has been with me since the start, and I'm sad to see it here in MC7 too.
I use a LOT of Kontakt instruments, so Kontakt 5 is my most frequently used VST plugin.
I noticed very soon that the pre-sets list that is built into all of Mixcrafts instrument windows tend to be the default action for the mouse-scroll in most instruments.
That means that if I open up the Kontakt 5 window, and try to scroll through the library list, it is the PRE-SETS list that will scroll instead, and that completely wipes EVERYTHING that I have set up in Kontakt.
About 50% of the times it happens, it can be reversed with Ctrl+Z, but half the time it's all gone.
If I go deeper into Kontakt's menus, like if I click on Database and then start clicking around in the lists in there, that will actually activate the scrolling in all of Kontakt.
But, as soon as I close that window, and open it again, it's back to scrolling through pre-sets again.

"So don't use the mouse scroll!" yeah, I know. I have learned not to use the mouse to scroll in Kontakt by now, but there are still those times when I forget, or even just TOUCH the wheel, and it's frustrating as hell when ALL my settings wipe!
And honestly, is that really the correct solution? To AVOID the mouse scroll?

I can also add that I've been using both Windows 7 and 8, and I've used different mice during the time I've used MC6 and it was always the same. And now I'm using MC7.

Am I really the ONLY person who is bugged out of my mind about this?
Am I all alone in thinking that the pre-sets list is hurting much more than it's helping when it's working like this?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft, Kontakt and mouse-scrolling.

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you use a plugin from within Mixcraft, you're actually running a different program. If the plugin has the focus in Windows, your scroll wheel should work. If Mixcraft has the focus instead, the scroll wheel will affect Mixcraft instead. Not sure how else we'd do it.

Greg
bibbis

Post by bibbis »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

When you use a plugin from within Mixcraft, you're actually running a different program. If the plugin has the focus in Windows, your scroll wheel should work. If Mixcraft has the focus instead, the scroll wheel will affect Mixcraft instead. Not sure how else we'd do it.

Greg
Yes exactly. I do understand that it's a question of focus.

If I compare it to using Kontakt in FL Studio for instance.
FL Studio's VST window has full focus on whatever is INSIDE it, so when Kontakt is showing, it can NEVER lose focus while I'm using that window.

Since Mixcraft has the presets list BUILT INTO the VST window itself, Mixcraft will always switch focus between ITSELF and whatever VST is inside that window, and it's always the presets list that has highest priority and gets initial focus until focus is switched over to the instrument.
And it's during that time when Mixcraft is focusing on it's own presets list, rather than the instrument I'm trying to use, that the mouse scroll will remove everything in Kontakt (because a new preset has been selected).

Do you understand what I'm trying to say here? xP

Sigh. I get how trivial this must seem... Despite what it may sound like, I absolutely love using Mixcraft. I guess it might be BECAUSE I use it so much that I find little "flaws" here and there that I wish would function EXACTLY the way I want them to :P

It would be kind of nice to have an option for disabling the preset list.
JoeSantor

Post by JoeSantor »

You are NOT the only one who have problems with this. 8) I don't know how many times I have tweaked the settings of a plugin and then used the scroll wheel, only to find I lost everything.

If possible, another solution might be: you get a "Save/Save as" message box appearing when you touch the scroll wheel with focus on the preset list AND you have changed the settings in the current preset.
chibear

Post by chibear »

Resave your Kontakt instrument with all the new settings within Kontakt as a new instrument i.e new name (no need to resave all the related files so uncheck that option). Then put it in quickload.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

chibear wrote:Resave your Kontakt instrument with all the new settings within Kontakt as a new instrument i.e new name (no need to resave all the related files so uncheck that option). Then put it in quickload.
I nominate Chibear for the honorary tip of the week award! :idea:

Good tip buddy! I might be motivated to explore Kontakt again yet...... :roll:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
chibear

Post by chibear »

I might be motivated to explore Kontakt again yet...... :roll:
C'mon, Ya know ya want to 8)
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
bibbis

Post by bibbis »

chibear wrote:Resave your Kontakt instrument with all the new settings within Kontakt as a new instrument i.e new name (no need to resave all the related files so uncheck that option). Then put it in quickload.
I don't understand what you mean :?:
chibear

Post by chibear »

You'll have to consult the Kontakt Application Reference under 'Files/Save As'. Basically you set up the stock instrument (as you receive it from the developer) with all the internal presets, and host and CC#s automations you desire. Then save it as a new instrument (.nki file).

If you have lots of Kontakt libraries, or as in my case, lots of re-saved instruments then the check out the quick load function as, utilizing this, your most-loaded instruments are available as a double click away as opposed to searching Files and/or Libraries.
Soundcloud YouTube
bibbis

Post by bibbis »

chibear wrote:You'll have to consult the Kontakt Application Reference under 'Files/Save As'. Basically you set up the stock instrument (as you receive it from the developer) with all the internal presets, and host and CC#s automations you desire. Then save it as a new instrument (.nki file).

If you have lots of Kontakt libraries, or as in my case, lots of re-saved instruments then the check out the quick load function as, utilizing this, your most-loaded instruments are available as a double click away as opposed to searching Files and/or Libraries.
But isn't this pretty much the same thing as using mixcraft presets?
chibear

Post by chibear »

You are unhappy with the way the preset function works in Mixcraft. I have offered an alternative that doesn't require changing focus between different processes and is portable.
Soundcloud YouTube
bibbis

Post by bibbis »

chibear wrote:You are unhappy with the way the preset function works in Mixcraft. I have offered an alternative that doesn't require changing focus between different processes and is portable.
I appreciate the effort but I think you might have misunderstood me.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

bibbis wrote:
chibear wrote:You are unhappy with the way the preset function works in Mixcraft. I have offered an alternative that doesn't require changing focus between different processes and is portable.
I appreciate the effort but I think you might have misunderstood me.
Actually, I have a feeling chibear understood you just fine. He's offering an alternative to a problem that may or may not get fixed, and not until the development of another version of Mixcraft (8 or higher). Heck, this problem might not ever go away. So the best thing to do is to adapt a usable alternative while bring notice to a problem than to simply bemoan the fact that the problem exists.

Will it get fixed? I don't know, nor when, if ever. Until then, I guess the short answer is to find an alternative that works.