Mix Down To WAV Resulting File Sounds Different than Project

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

garyk

Mix Down To WAV Resulting File Sounds Different than Project

Post by garyk »

I recently upgraded from Mixcraft 6 to 7 (I've been using Mixcraft since Version 5 so I am very familiar with the application). When I mix a multi-track project and settle on all the levels, then FILE > MIX DOWN TO > WAV, the resulting WAV file does not match the mix of the project! The difference isn't subtle -- it is quite significant. I've never had this type of problem with earlier versions. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on how to correct this? Since I'm using virtual instruments and the project file is MX7, I can't load it into Mixcraft 6. So I will have to use Mixcraft 7 to make individual .wav files for each track to re-mix in Mixcraft 6. I wouldn't call this a work-around -- It's more of a desperate attempt to save a project. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Larioso

Re: Mix Down To WAV Resulting File Sounds Different than Pro

Post by Larioso »

Are you using any Output tracks in that project?

I found that all Output tracks also are included disregarded destination and using any monitor cues or similar means you have to disable those parts before doing mixdown.
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

garyk wrote:I recently upgraded from Mixcraft 6 to 7 (I've been using Mixcraft since Version 5 so I am very familiar with the application). When I mix a multi-track project and settle on all the levels, then FILE > MIX DOWN TO > WAV, the resulting WAV file does not match the mix of the project! The difference isn't subtle -- it is quite significant. I've never had this type of problem with earlier versions. Is this a known issue? Any suggestions on how to correct this? Since I'm using virtual instruments and the project file is MX7, I can't load it into Mixcraft 6. So I will have to use Mixcraft 7 to make individual .wav files for each track to re-mix in Mixcraft 6. I wouldn't call this a work-around -- It's more of a desperate attempt to save a project. Any help or insight would be appreciated.
I've noticed this too.
are your sample rate & bit depth set the same?
just a note,if it's set above 48,000kHz most vst FX won't transfer to the mixdown.
example-ShredAmp distortion guitar will be a clean dry signal,same w/ delays or reverbs.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Are you listening to your mixdown through Windows media player or some other player? If you bring the mixed down wav file back into Mixcraft, does it sound OK then?
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

All of the above. Plus, I found out that at least one add-on (that didn't come with MC) didn't render right in fact when rendered gave me blank tracks. It was a free one I downloaded that wanted me to pay before any rendering was done, I believe. It was a reverb model but I don't remember which one.
garyk

Post by garyk »

Thanks everyone for your input. Nothing special about the project:

1. All settings are Mixcraft 7 defaults based on the upgrade installation
2. Sample rate is 44.100 bit depth is 32
3. All native Mixcraft virtual instruments
4. All native Mixcraft FX (in this case, Acoutica reverb and delay)
5. No output tracks

I simply mixed the 17-track project to a .wav file and then imported it into Sony Vegas Pro 11 where I immediately noticed the mix was way off. I tested the mixed .wav file back in Mixcraft and the problem was there too. It's not media player-specific. Something is definitely wrong with how the project renders the .wav file, or there are other issues affecting the mix that are not obvious.

The only way I was able to get the project done on time was to render each track as an individual .wav file. I then imported each file into different tracks in Sony Vegas and mixed there. It came out perfect.

Perplexed!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Do you have Mixcraft 7.0 build 251 installed? Open up Mixcraft and look at your sound device preferences. Are you using WaveRT, ASIO or Wave? What is selected for the sample rate there?

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

Also, try a bit depth of 24 or 16 and see if that makes a difference. Keep it at 44100 frequency.
garyk

Post by garyk »

I have Mixcraft 7.0 64-Bit Build 251
Using Core Audio Wave RT with sample rate of 44100 and bit depth of 32
I have a Focusrite Saffire 6 interface and for some reason cannot sellect the ASIO driver option for it in Mixcraft.

I will try alternate bit depths and let you know what happens.

Thanks!
garyk

Post by garyk »

I tested the following combinations with no difference:

Core Audio Wave RT with sample rate of 44100 and bit depth of 32 (no other bit depth options are available)
Wave with sample rates of 24
Wave with sample rate of 16
ASIO option grayed out

All test files pretty much sound the same.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you mix down to wav, make sure you've selected a sample rate of 44100.

For the other problem, make sure you've installed the latest updated audio drivers from Focusrite: Downloads | Focusrite.

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

Also, since you are using WaveRt make sure any windows audio enhancements are turned off. Check your settings in control panel, sound devices, playback. Sometimes there is an EQ setting and reverb settings.
garyk

Post by garyk »

Sample rate is set to 44100 when saving as .wav file. I have the latest Focusrite Saffire 6 drivers installed. No audio enhancements turned on. Again, I have used Mixcraft 5 and 6 on this same computer for several years always with great results. Something seems to have changed with 7. I guess I will have to revert to Mixcraft 6 until this is resolved because mixing each track to an individual .wav file and mixing from that is simply too time consuming and not practical.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Are you running 64-bit Mixcraft 7? If you install 32-bit Mixcraft 7, does your ASIO driver work correctly?

You can have both 32- and 64-bit Mixcraft installed. The audio quality would be the same in either version.

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

What is the difference between the sound? Does it sound like it's missing an effect? Is there too much bass, treble, volume off? Did you bring the file back into Mixcraft and play it back that way?