MC recording and Line6 UX2 playback

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rolling Estonian

Re: MC recording and Line6 UX2 playback

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Here's the Podfarm mixer settings....... I think this could be it too.......
Attachments
Screenshot (16).png
Screenshot (16).png (1006.33 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Although I experimented with Pod Farm stuff years ago (but I didn't inhale!) I am not at all familiar with their newer stuff, so I cant help with settings there.

But backing up, you stated the audio levels were fine in your recordings, but you are not getting much waveform level in the track, correct?

I dont know what the "official" answer is, but heres some thoughts, and some clarification on what I intended to convey in my previous reply.

First, unless you are looking at the very loudest part of your recording, the visual presentation of the waveform is going to be fairly low. Second, despite what many people think, there is no need for it to fill the available track area. In fact, though its a bit of a smart a$$ed answer to your question of "why?" IMO the best answer would be because you know enough to record at reasonable levels and get better recordings. That is assuming you aren't trying to set a new record for loudness.........
Put another way, the answer to your question of why the waveforms come out small when you have a perfectly good recording is "to leave headroom for those who insist on recording as loud as possible"! :lol:

Heres my take on the situation. If I record a track that sounds fine, and upon setting track levels for my rough mix I find that the faders rarely have to be moved far from unity (0) I think the recording level is pretty darn close to perfect! On the other hand, if I have to turn it way up, or down, the recording level decision may not have been too good.

If someone has a better answer, I am open minded, but this works for me. 8)

The one additional thing that may be what is perplexing you, is the lack of visual cues for audio editing....... And thats a whole 'nuther thing.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Again, another way- Perhaps you are putting too much emphasis on the visual waveform presentation? Trust your ears.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Thanks Mark but I figured out the waveform issue, It has to do with the Mixer settings in the Podfarm itself. Now I just need to figure out how to record a wet signal using PF and having it play back without the UX2 plugged in, all I'm getting is a dry signal when I playback...... Unless I have the UX2 plugged in........ I have been on the Line6 forum and am going to try some suggestions when I get home this evening.

If anyone has any idea, I'm all ears!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Do you have the standalone Pod Farm application? I think you can run this outside Mixcraft and Mixcraft will then record the signal coming from the UX2 and Pod Farm. Using the Pod Farm as an effect won't let you get the wet signal recorded.
Rolling Estonian

Ding ding!!!!!

That's the answer Tom!

I use UX2 and PF as stand alone and have PF processed (wet) into MC both set to 3/4 in and out.

Thanks all! Now I can record my suckiness with peace of mind!
outteh

Post by outteh »

Great that things are solved. Now let's hear some songs! :D :wink:
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Good news, thanks for sharing the solution.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page