Inconsistency with UK pricing of Mixcraft Pro Studio 7

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Ianpb

Inconsistency with UK pricing of Mixcraft Pro Studio 7

Post by Ianpb »

I've noticed an inconsistency in the pricing of Mixcraft Pro Studio 7 here in the UK.

According to current exchange rates, $164.95 = 108.79GBP, yet the UK price is 119.63GBP, which is approximately 10% more than the US price.

Worse than that, with regard to the upgrade path of Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 to Mixcraft Pro Studio 7, according to current exchange rates, $54.95 = 36.24GBP, yet the UK price is 79.77GBP, which is approximately 120% more than the US price.

Has someone at Acoustica made an error? Otherwise, why are we UK customers being so grossly overcharged, most particularly with the upgrade path?
fredfish

Re: Inconsistency with UK pricing of Mixcraft Pro Studio 7

Post by fredfish »

Hi Ian

My understanding is that UK VAT is applied which increases the price a bit (this isn't Acousticas fault). I am not sure where you are seeing a price of £79.77?

I am genuinely interested as I am intending to upgrade myself but recent job losses have prevented me from doing so yet.

When I go to the upgrade page http://acoustica.com/cgi/upgrade.php?p=16

I just get the price quoted in USD - I know that there is VAT (as I said earlier) but cant see a UK price?

Cheers

John
shakin_fingers

Post by shakin_fingers »

My upgrade from MX6Pro to MX7Pro was charged at $54.95, which, by the time PayPal had processed it as a UK purchase, had become £46.58 on New Year's Eve. That's a little over 20% more than the GBP amount reported by Google just now, which fits with the VAT story.

Seriously though, less than 50 quid for the upgrade seemed like a great deal to me. Still does.

Mike

:)
Mike
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

shakin_fingers wrote:My upgrade from MX6Pro to MX7Pro was charged at $54.95, which, by the time PayPal had processed it as a UK purchase, had become £46.58 on New Year's Eve. That's a little over 20% more than the GBP amount reported by Google just now, which fits with the VAT story.

Seriously though, less than 50 quid for the upgrade seemed like a great deal to me. Still does.

Mike

:)
Mike - that fits in with what I thought the price would be. FWIW I agree that the upgrade price is great value.

Cheers

John
chibear

Post by chibear »

There's been quite a bit of chatter about this on the different forums. As of Jan 1 all EU members are charged VAT on intellectual property. Those of us in Canada and the US are probably not far behind. They're just waiting for the Europeans to perfect the implementation :roll:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Okay I forgot to include VAT, which would explain the first item I mentioned. However, when I went to pay for the upgrade from Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 to 7 it was showing as 79.77GBP which, if I allow for VAT, would amount to approximately double the price that is quoted in US dollars.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Don't forget that all companies selling digital goods to the EU are required to report VAT to whatever country the product was sold to, which is an administrative mess for smaller companies.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

I just tried it again and now it's showing 66.10GBP - 44.08 GBP. That now amounts to 22.05GBP.

I just paid for it through Paypal and I'm charged 21.07GBP plus 4.21 VAT. So the amount quoted is exclusive of VAT.

I think I'll have to put last night's experience down to a website glitch.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Thanks for reporting back on your experiences Ian.

Much appreciated.

Cheers

John
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

If it helps, this was what I paid when I upgraded from MPS 6 to MPS 7 ..
Sub Total: 114.95 GBP
Coupon (DLP67MX28): - 69.69 GBP
VAT @ 20.00%: 9.05 GBP
Shipping: 0.00 GBP
Grand Total: 54.31 GBP
Last edited by Tiasdad on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

Wait, is VAT a 20.00% tax for you? That's ridiculous.
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Anorax wrote:Wait, is VAT a 20.00% tax for you? That's ridiculous.
Yes it is, but even that's not as bad as many EU states, in particular Hungary, whose residents have to pay a standard rate of 27%. The US can likely expect the introduction of a similar regressive tax when the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) is finally enacted, followed by Canada, whose government will inevitably want in.
Anorax

Post by Anorax »

And I thought sales tax was high enough...
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

chibear wrote:There's been quite a bit of chatter about this on the different forums. As of Jan 1 all EU members are charged VAT on intellectual property. Those of us in Canada and the US are probably not far behind. They're just waiting for the Europeans to perfect the implementation :roll:
Well, at least the American dollar is worth $1.24 in Canada