Drum time editing help

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dan_halen

Drum time editing help

Post by dan_halen »

I've been fixing the timing issues of some drum tracks and I have been going manually clicking and dragging everything to sync up to a click track, for example moving kicks and snares to match precisely where they go. It is slow and exhausting, so is there an easier way to do this?
dan_halen

Re: Drum time editing help

Post by dan_halen »

I am using MC7.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Assuming your click track and tempo settings match- you could use the quantize function.
Midi Editing:
Quantize.jpg
Quantize.jpg (16.94 KiB) Viewed 4793 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dan_halen

Post by dan_halen »

WOuldn't you have to convert the drum tracks to MIDI though? These are raw tracks I'm working with.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 7 has audio quantizing. Here's a video that shows how that can work: Auto Warping and Remixing in Mixcraft 7 (Includes Performance Panel).

Greg
Matt102583

Post by Matt102583 »

If you are talking about real drums let me tell you I feel your pain! I just finished spending 4 days doing this. I had 8 tracks per song, (kick snare toms OH etc) and 7 songs to do. I started out using the audio quantization, warp feature in Mixcraft 7, but since you cant group in mixcraft :shock: you'd have to do each track individually and would come across phase issues if you didn't move the exact same markers in each track. So I began the journey of linking all the tracks together turning off grid mode and slicing right before the transient in question and moving it to where it should be, even came on here wondering if I could at least apply cross fades to all my slices, and got a big NOPE on that. Doing one song took me forever and ruined my neck. There had to be an easier way to do this, so I started researching and came across Beat Detective in Protools. I took my files to a friends house, fixed everything in Protools using the beat detective and elastic audio features, came back home loaded them in Mixcraft and everything lined up perfectly. Such a life, time, hair, and sanity saver. Good luck I know what you are going through :( If anyone else has another way to do it in Mixcraft I'd love to know.

P.S. I guess shitty out of time drumming must be a huge problem if programs like beat detective and elastic audio are out there. Metronomes for all!
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Matt102583 wrote: If anyone else has another way to do it in Mixcraft I'd love to know.
See my post previous to yours.
Matt102583

Post by Matt102583 »

I must be doing it wrong, I can go in and add warp markers where I want and move them, but like I said before I cant group them and do them all together so if I move a bunch of snare hits on the snare track the bleed in the over heads is now off from the close mic of the snare so I have to go in and move all the overheads, and the same thing with fills..maybe I'm just not understanding it all the way, Hopefully I'll never have to do it again, and I felt like I was cheating on my wife when I had to use that other DAW just setting up a session is a pain in the ass.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

dan_halen wrote:WOuldn't you have to convert the drum tracks to MIDI though? These are raw tracks I'm working with.
Yeah, sorry-when you said you were moving notes I incorrectly assumed we were talking MIDI.

Audio? Its going to be a tough way to go slicing and shifting that many little clips of audio, and as you are finding out, hard to keep everything sorted out and when desired-in synch. Big job, massive headache. Redefines tedious and time consuming. Creativity killer if ever there was one.

I dont mean to be a smarta$$, but seriously, if your doing that much editing it might be time to fire your drummer. Or find a new way to work. Its simply not worth it IMO. Edit and shift a few bits, no problem. What you are describing? Ive done it and the best lesson learned was to not do it again.

One of the hardest things in music production might be to combine live recorded tracks and tightly timed "on the grid" tracks. Is that what you are doing? Or is it all live tracks?

Either way- one option that comes short of using a drum program for a complete substitute is that perhaps you could finish a rough mix of the song with simple sequenced drum track then record the drums in better time?
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Drawn01

Post by Drawn01 »

Matt102583 wrote:If you are talking about real drums let me tell you I feel your pain! I just finished spending 4 days doing this. I had 8 tracks per song, (kick snare toms OH etc) and 7 songs to do. I started out using the audio quantization, warp feature in Mixcraft 7, but since you cant group in mixcraft :shock: you'd have to do each track individually and would come across phase issues if you didn't move the exact same markers in each track. So I began the journey of linking all the tracks together turning off grid mode and slicing right before the transient in question and moving it to where it should be, even came on here wondering if I could at least apply cross fades to all my slices, and got a big NOPE on that. Doing one song took me forever and ruined my neck. There had to be an easier way to do this, so I started researching and came across Beat Detective in Protools. I took my files to a friends house, fixed everything in Protools using the beat detective and elastic audio features, came back home loaded them in Mixcraft and everything lined up perfectly. Such a life, time, hair, and sanity saver. Good luck I know what you are going through :( If anyone else has another way to do it in Mixcraft I'd love to know.

P.S. I guess shitty out of time drumming must be a huge problem if programs like beat detective and elastic audio are out there. Metronomes for all!
I have the same problem, editing 10 drum tracks... Mixcraft audio editing tool does not group edit multiple clips at once, this is a feature I REALLY NEED also!!!!