Sound samples- tempo problems

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

ron-e-g

Sound samples- tempo problems

Post by ron-e-g »

Hello. I'm new here and expect to be a regular (or as much as possible) I have noticed that in mixcraft 3 when in the sound edit page The tempo adj. operates in reverse i.e. slower is faster and faster is slower. Can anyone help me with this dilemma? Thanks. Ron
"The Older I Get The Better I Was!"
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi there! You're modifying the original tempo of the sound, not the playback tempo. You can change the playback tempo by setting your sound to Adjust To Project Tempo, then changing the project tempo, which can be found in the Project tab on the bottom half of the screen.
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Dan, I'm confused! how do I get the tempo changing right without changing the project tempo? :oops: Or is that possible? as I bring existing songs onto a track as "add a sound" then do some further editing and mixing.

Thanks, Ron
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi again,

If you just want to time stretch the clip, there are two ways:

1) Change the clip from Adjust To Project Tempo mode, and change it to Time Stretch mode. Then you can stretch the sound any way you want without worrying about the project tempo.

2) You can also use our Flex Audio (tm) visual time stretching. Just hold down the CTRL key, grab the end of the sound, and stretch it like a rubber band, shorter or longer, until its the length you desire.

If you want the track to match the tempo of your project, then switch the sound to Adjust To Project Tempo mode. It will analyze the sound and attempt to calculate the tempo of the song. Then you can change your project tempo, and add tempo change markers, to change the tempo of your song. This is useful for remixing different songs into the same tempo.

If I haven't quite answered your question, please let me know what you're trying to accomplish and we'll help you out!

Thanks,
Dan
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Dan, You have been more than helpful and I thank You. You probably have answered my question but, Let me please ask, and this will be the end of it :lol: promise! I import a song already mastered and mixed down to a mp3 so I use the add a sound so Mixcraft will recognize the mp3. I obviously don't want to change the tempo. After the song is on track one lets say, I want to add blues harp and the sample is in lets say 115 bpm but my song is 98 bpm when I go into the sound tab and choose a slower bpm for the blues harp sample it actually gets faster. So I find myself trying to work back wards. Sorta like trying to read through a mirror! :roll: I'm sure there must be a way of doing this better than the way I'm doing it :evil:

Thank You,Ron
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

in my experience w/mc thats how it do work- it is mirror working. hopefully dan can answer this question for us both.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi Ron,

It sounds like your best bet is FlexAudioÖ. That's the most intuitive way to go about it.

Greg
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

OK Greg. I'll give that some intrest. Thanks.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Ron,

Its easier than you think. Start a new project, and turn on Auto Beat Match mode. Then drag in your MP3, and Mixcraft will ask you if you want to switch the project tempo to 98bpm. Say yes! It'll also ask if you want to switch to the detected key of the music. Say yes!

Now your project will be in 98bpm, and your song will be in 98 bpm. You can then drag in loops from the library. The loops will automatically match the tempo (98) and the key of the project.

You don't need to mess with the tempo/key in the Sound tab, unless Mixcraft gets the tempo or key wrong.

Good luck!

Dan
ron-e-g

Post by ron-e-g »

Wow Dan! Thats too simple, must be something wrong with that!! :oops: Thanks, and I will give that a go.