Need help with "Noise" from recording..

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

RobertAllan

Re: Need help with "Noise" from recording..

Post by RobertAllan »

Acoustica Greg wrote:
RobertAllan wrote:Appreciate you looking into it, sadly the thing is that mixcraft doesnt recognize it as guitar link from behringer but as a "USB audio device", meaning a general usb device for audio, so i cant access the ASIO config panel or adjust anything through mixcraft :( :(

RobertAllan
The manufacturer of the device has to provide the ASIO driver, that's why Mixcraft isn't finding one. Lots of plug-and-play USB audio interfaces show up as "USB Audio Codec" or something similar. Some audio interfaces allow you to install audio drivers that would give you an ASIO choice. Looks like Behringer offers some audio drivers on this page if you scroll all the way down, but they also offer the generic ASIO4All driver.
I Have Asio4All installed, and thats what they recommended as it was compatible with all softwares unlike their old unique one..Cant say ive found any spesific for the guitar link, guess i will take a second look..

EDIT: Problem fixed? Not quite but almost :D :D :D
After browsing, downloading and installing a few of those things i finally found one that allowed mixcraft to recognize it. I still cant access the ASIO config panel? No clue where its at, mixcraft and all looks the same apart from the fact that i now can choose a Behringer USB audio.
NOW...With a minor tweaq of the buffer-size? The sound is ALMOST gone. I even tried to add a boost just to imagine it mastered and my ears didnt hurt,lol so now i guess i will start recording songs again and hopefully the noise wont be apearent in the final mix :D :D

THANKS for the patience and help!! Much much appreciated!!

RobertAllan
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Hope someone reads this...
So, i sent an email to a buddy of mine who works at danmusik.dk who sells instruments
and other music related stuff and told him bout my issues and figured id see if he had a
solution i could try..
From how i explained everything he said that it could be tons of different things,
but that maybe i should concider a external soundcard.
Because im a cool guy(lol) and a good customer he gave me and offer with a nice little
discount on one called "Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB-soundcard".

SO...My question is this..Simply because i dont know too much about it..
With and external soundcard, would that mean that when i use it/for what i use it for
my internal soundcard is irrelevant? Or will my settings etc.. Still make a difference?
Am i guarranteed a clean signal if i purchase this? (not counting room noise,computer noise etc..)
Or is this potentially a waste of money?

WOuld sinceerly appreciate any advise/opinion :) :D :)

RobertAllan
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

if using an outboard soundcard or an ASIO usb audio interface it will bypass your computer's soundcard (given you choose that in recording/playback preferences in Mixcraft) but that's still not guaranteed to get rid of the hiss of too hot signal.
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

gypsy101 wrote:if using an outboard soundcard or an ASIO usb audio interface it will bypass your computer's soundcard (given you choose that in recording/playback preferences in Mixcraft) but that's still not guaranteed to get rid of the hiss of too hot signal.
Hmmm..Now i dont know,lol
But if the hiss or too hot signal is still there, would that mean its the mic?
Or can it still be other things? granted i make sure all my prefferences are right in
mixcraft? Really dont wanna waste more money if i cant get it to work..

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Wait, whoa. Having trouble keeping up.
Let me see if I can summarize and correct me if I am wrong. For some reason I thought you were using a USB mic, but I was apparently mistaken. Sorry, I got lost.

You are running a Rode condenser, into a Behringer guitar link?

The guitar link as I recall has no mic level input, only an instrument input, and the only level control is for the monitoring level via the headphone output, right?

If this is correct, you are running a mic level output (and a relatively hot one at that) into an input that is designed for a lower instrument level signal, and have no gain control. This would be a problem IMO.

On the other hand, a interface such as the Scarlett would provide a mic level input, mic preamp and gain control. And a dedicated ASIO driver.

No one can guarantee this is going to fix your problem, but it is certainly going to provide you with a bunch of flexibility. I would go as far as to say this is a minimum solution for what you are trying to do.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Mark Bliss wrote:Wait, whoa. Having trouble keeping up.
Let me see if I can summarize and correct me if I am wrong. For some reason I thought you were using a USB mic, but I was apparently mistaken. Sorry, I got lost.

You are running a Rode condenser, into a Behringer guitar link?

The guitar link as I recall has no mic level input, only an instrument input, and the only level control is for the monitoring level via the headphone output, right?

If this is correct, you are running a mic level output (and a relatively hot one at that) into an input that is designed for a lower instrument level signal, and have no gain control. This would be a problem IMO.

On the other hand, a interface such as the Scarlett would provide a mic level input, mic preamp and gain control. And a dedicated ASIO driver.

No one can guarantee this is going to fix your problem, but it is certainly going to provide you with a bunch of flexibility. I would go as far as to say this is a minimum solution for what you are trying to do.

HAHAHAH!!! Mark im so sorry, i tend to sometimes suck at explaining when i write in other languages then my own (im Norwegian). Meaning i usually type and discuss with myself at the same time to get everything needed to be said said, and sometimes my sentences end up stupid and points are missed completely! my bad!!

I first plugged it right into my computer, it sounded like crap, mainly static and "pling plong" captured from the guitar, after playing around with tons of settings etc.. i figured it was my soundcard (my computer is like 6 years old and not made to make music of course)
After being frustrated i remembered having terrible latency issues when i started working with guitar rig, and the guitar link as it has a soundcard/soundcard-ish thingy sorted that, i figured it was worth a shot. I know it was sorta stupid,lol But as i actually got sound and better then when directly in computer i figured i was on to something. Will prolly buy the external soundcard or another brand tomorrow or something:)

Sorry for the misunderstanding and thanks for the patience and help!

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

RobertAllan wrote:HAHAHAH!!! Mark im so sorry, i tend to sometimes suck at explaining when i write in other languages then my own (im Norwegian). Meaning i usually type and discuss with myself at the same time to get everything needed to be said said, and sometimes my sentences end up stupid and points are missed completely! my bad!!
Wasnt blaming you, I tend to speed read/skim, and reading all these posts can confuse an old fart.
RobertAllan wrote:Will prolly buy the external soundcard or another brand tomorrow or something:)
The Focusrite Scarlett line has a good reputation. You might consider comparing features/value with the next model above the Solo however. Several regulars here use and recommend them.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Mark Bliss wrote:
RobertAllan wrote:HAHAHAH!!! Mark im so sorry, i tend to sometimes suck at explaining when i write in other languages then my own (im Norwegian). Meaning i usually type and discuss with myself at the same time to get everything needed to be said said, and sometimes my sentences end up stupid and points are missed completely! my bad!!
Wasnt blaming you, I tend to speed read/skim, and reading all these posts can confuse an old fart.
RobertAllan wrote:Will prolly buy the external soundcard or another brand tomorrow or something:)
The Focusrite Scarlett line has a good reputation. You might consider comparing features/value with the next model above the Solo however. Several regulars here use and recommend them.
As i get a decent discount (15-20%) and have 30 days to decide if im happy or not i will give that
one a go, can always upgrade later if needed :D

RobertAllan
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ok, backtracking on one point I made about levels I described backwards, but nonetheless, I suspect you will find more satisfaction in a dedicated audio interface. Its a must have component IMO.
Most on board factory installed sound cards are not really ideal for any of this recording stuff. 8)

Let us know how it works out!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

also losing track with this one (pun intended)

My point (and opinion for what it's worth): If you're even slightly serious about recording, an external dedicated sound card with the correct updated drivers is essential - and Focusrite is one of the better ones out there :wink:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SFF; i3; 32 gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite Solo; Sennheiser HD650 cans

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Well, i feel like im more then slightly serious about recording music, not in the way
that i plan to take over the industry and live of my music, but where i want to create
good music for myself and others (so better set-up means better end product etc..)

In my case it has been a progression. When i decided to make solo music my main
goal was to make guitar based instrumentals, and i also knew nothing about mixing/production
etc.. The first 15 tracks i recorded was just with guitar-layers. After a while i wanted a fuller sound
so got myself a midi keyboard so i could add drums/synths etc..
Then i decided i wanted to try the "full band play a bunch of instruments with vocals"
so got myself a usb driven studio mic and after working with that for a while i managed to get that working decently with the vocals. SO to be perfectly honest i havnt felt like i needed a external soundcard so far (that doesnt mean that anything ive done is perfected, but with me still learning about production etc.. whenever ive found a solution to something i have felt like i can do what i meant to do kinda thing.. Like with my electric guitars i struggled with terrible latency issues when i plugged it in my computer, fixed this by getting the USB guitar link. Wanted to add more instruments in the overall sound i fixed this by getting a MIDI keyboard form drums, synths, effects etc..
Wanted vocals got myself a studio mic and learned how to use it etc.. etc..

Now im at the stage where i like to try and write,record full songs, as i approach this differently then when i was writing simple instrumentals with guitar solos i use my accoustic guitar more in the writing prossess and decided i really wanted to add it to my musical expression.

SO to sum up.. It started with me recording simple stuff and as my know-how etc grew so did my want to keep adding stuff and thats where im at really..

RobertAllan
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Isn't the M3 powered by an internal battery? Maybe you could change that.

Also, doesn't it have a pad/high pass filter switch?
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

AHornsby wrote:Isn't the M3 powered by an internal battery? Maybe you could change that.

Also, doesn't it have a pad/high pass filter switch?
Yes it is, i meant to buy a new better battery the day after it was mentioned
but forgot when i was in the store, and now most stores in Norway are closed until
the 7th (after easter). I have tried recording with all settings on the mic. The best of the worst
options is -0db and high-pass filter off (middle position). But as it sounds like crap when i plug it directly into my computer i personally think its either my soundcard not being good enough to process the sound right or some setting ive put wrong in the way my computer handles incoming audio that i cant figure out, i feel like ive tried everything possible atleast 10 times using my current set-up.

BUT i ordered the focusrite a few hours ago and should get it in a week or so (no post here during easter holliday) and hopefully that will work fine and if theres something retarded going on on my computer it will overwrite it soundwise when in use. Atleast thats what im hoping/thinking

RobertAllan
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

I think terminology is getting a bit fuzzy here. the Focusrite Solo is not an "external soundcard",it's a two input audio interface.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... rlett-solo

it should solve your problems.

BTW,if you had said in the very first post that you had a Behringer: GUITAR LINK UCG102 we could have probably saved 3 pages of diagnosing by just saying it's cheap Chinese junk & buy a decent audio interface. :lol:
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

gypsy101 wrote:I think terminology is getting a bit fuzzy here. the Focusrite Solo is not an "external soundcard",it's a two input audio interface.
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-inter ... rlett-solo

it should solve your problems.

BTW,if you had said in the very first post that you had a Behringer: GUITAR LINK UCG102 we could have probably saved 3 pages of diagnosing by just saying it's cheap Chinese junk & buy a decent audio interface. :lol:
I can easily admit that im not the king of technical terminalogy, and my goal was obviously not
to waste anybodys precious time but simply adress my issues (both usb and front mic related) and try to find a solution.

RobertAllan