Windows XP 64 Problem

Support and feedback for Acoustica Audio Converter Pro and MP3 to Wave Converter PLUS.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Now we have a better workaround than the command line option. You can set up Windows to open a 32-bit explorer window, and you can just use that to convert files: FAQ entry on Acoustica Audio Converter Pro with 64-bit Windows.

It might even help with other 32-bit apps you're using.

Greg
Fallstar

Post by Fallstar »

Well, this is quite disheartening to see that I cannot use my purchased ACP as intended on my new Windows 7 64-bit system, and even more so that, due to its "legacy" status, a fix/update is not in development. :( The few times that I was able to use it in the past, I actually enjoyed it, and the fact that it was a small footprint app was quite nice.

Acoustica has my email address, so if there is ever a true fix/update, I will find out via newsletter...otherwise, I need to uninstall it for now.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The other thing we haven't tested yet is XP emulation mode, so if anybody gets a chance to try that, let us know whether it works.
Fallstar

Post by Fallstar »

Acoustica Greg wrote:The other thing we haven't tested yet is XP emulation mode, so if anybody gets a chance to try that, let us know whether it works.
Good news...Since my previous post, I have upgraded my new computer (using Windows Anytime Upgrade) to Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, downloaded and installed Virtual PC and XP Mode, and have installed Audio Converter Pro (with my license key). It works perfectly! I'm still learning how to use XP Mode, and need to figure out how to access audio files on my main OS, or an easier way to transfer back & forth. But i thought I should let you know that it is working within a virtualized environment.

Note to anyone on Vista or Win7 thinking about trying Virtual PC...you'll need to make sure that your processor is capable of running it, and if so, that it's enabled. Microsoft has a tool that you can download and run to detect those.

:)
Carol C

Re: Windows XP 64 Problem

Post by Carol C »

Ok I seem to not be alone on this and that is good. :roll:
I know everyone is busy on MixCraft and therefore we wait.. Just sayin' :P

I am running Windows 7 Pro and can not figure out this workaround at all.

I used to write DOS discs and for the life me I followed instruction and still no right menu click.

Someone else said on here that it does work with 64 bit so I stay confused.
So if and when there is a new or update with 64 bit, I would like to know.

I first will try re-installing as mention.

If I am in the wrong place to write this, I apologise..

Just as an add-on to my post, I downloaded FoxTab Music Converter that works great to convert what I need.. Sorry I am just not into programming a program to get it to work. Don't get me wrong, I love all of my software from Acoustica and have all but Mixcraft. :) So for now will use FoxTab..
Thank you, Carol C
Last edited by Carol C on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

We're probably not going to be updating the Acoustica converter software. This is because the converters are really old software and there are just too many competitors out there now, some of them free. For example, you can convert to MP3 or WAV using iTunes.

The 32-bit explorer shell workaround works well for XP and Vista, but Microsoft changed the way things work in Windows 7 so that you'd have to install Microsoft Windows XP Virtual PC on your Windows 7 computer in order to use the 32-bit shell workaround.

If you own Acoustica MP3 CD Burner, you can load up its song list and then choose the "Render" option from the File menu to convert files.

Greg
pizzaman

Post by pizzaman »

Acoustica Greg wrote: We're probably not going to be updating the Acoustica converter software. This is because the converters are really old software and there are just too many competitors out there now, some of them free.
I've been searching for a long time for a software that does all of this:

- convert MP3 -> MP3
- normalize
- delete silence at the beginning/end of songs

Funny you should say that there are too many competitors out there while I haven't been able to find ONE that does ALL of the above. Acoustica Audio Converter Pro was perfect but it doesn't work on 64-bit Windows 8.1. Can you recommend some of the competitors please? I'm desperate. Thanks.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Have you checked out dbPowerAmp?

Greg
pizzaman

Post by pizzaman »

Thanks, I will!