multiple VST instances

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Dave Brewer

multiple VST instances

Post by Dave Brewer »

I downloaded Mixcraft to see how it compares to Sonar. Nice! Amazing power in an easy to use GUI. When installing, Mixcraft found most of my VST/DXi add-ons automagically, including E-Z drummer and Miroslav Phiharmonik. I use the piano roll to add notes most of the time. Just one question: In SONAR, several MIDI tracks can attach to different channels of a single VST instance. So, in Miro each track seems to get its own instance? How do I point a track to a specific channel and use just one instance? I don't see a place to assign channel in the track setup. I like the little EDIT button to pop open the instrument interface, but I need to get to the multi-channel power of the DXi.
admin
Site Admin

Re: VSTi functionality

Post by admin »

Dave,

Thanks for trying Mixcraft. Each MIDI track has its own virtual instrument chain and effects chain. The software does not share chains at this time. Thus, you cannot route tracks to the same exact VST instance.

What might help is the "Duplicate Track" feature. Once you get your track's instrument setup, right click on it and select "Duplicate Track". You will have two tracks and two instances of the VSTs you set up.

I hope this helps!
-Joseph
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Actually, what you want to do can be done - though its slightly awkward to do it. You can overlap multiple MIDI clips on top of each other, on the same track. These multiple MIDI clips will be sent to the same instrument instance. So, you could record one clip on one MIDI channel, then another clip on another MIDI channel (duplicating the track might be the easiest way to accomplish this). then, in the end, move both clips onto the same track and they'll both play on the same instrument.

Perhaps in the future we could come up with a cleaner interface for this - i.e. multiple tracks within the same track header.

Dan
Dave Brewer

Post by Dave Brewer »

I think I understand your answer, I'll try it.

Dave