Hamlisch Scoring contest entry

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

Hamlisch Scoring contest entry

Post by chibear »

My first attempt at film scoring:

https://youtu.be/q6NaYfga2RY

Also my first Youtube posting so turn the volume up a bit. (The original video sounds fine.)
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
outteh

Re: Hamlisch Scoring contest entry

Post by outteh »

So you were given the short film clip and the challenge was to score to it? Well done there Clyde! It's quite interesting how the arangement follows the action. Best of luck! :D 8)
mick

Post by mick »

Mr Chibear, that - is - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! :shock:
The use of the harp and other "plinky bits" (what else can I call them?) :lol: is spot on, not to mention the other orchestral parts. The musical transitions from scene to scene is smooth and brings sight and sound together that carries the story like the wind carries... oops! getting carried away here better just say it deserves to win easily. A wonderful and complicated piece of composing that must be more challenging than one can imagine. 11/10. :wink:
chibear

Post by chibear »

Thanks guys! It didn't win or place, but sure was a fun exercise.

I'm sure you'll appreciate the first few times I watched the video, my reaction was wtf......advancing to ' boy I'm glad I'm not doing this under my real name' :lol: then gradually getting something down. Will definitely do it again next year.

EDIT: Here's a link to this years winners
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Clyde,

It's a winner in my book! Great job.

I agree with Tom in that its amazing how the arrangement follows the screen actions.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Was there any hint about what the winner was using as a DAW?

I listened to (and enjoyed) yours first if it's of any consolation.
chibear

Post by chibear »

@Barry: Thanks! It was worth the effort as I was able to compare my work directly with people who do it every day. Learned a lot from that 8)

@AHornsby: Thanks! They might say on their websites. There are links to those for each winner/placer. A few months ago they did a survey on another forum and a lot of those guys were using Cubase to write and then passing the stems over to Pro Tools for final processing and mixdown. I hate Pro Tools and Cubase is quite a bit harder to use than Mixcraft if you are not working from templates.
Soundcloud YouTube
mick

Post by mick »

AHornsby asked: Was there any hint about what the winner was using as a DAW?

It looks like the Sibelius notation program and Logic pro are the culprits, maybe they are rewired - who knows? In addition I believe he uses the Avid media composer used by film and TV companies. This is a professional program for syncing and comping audio and video together.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Nicely done. Scoring to moved pictures is a special kind of fun.

Didn't know there were contests like this, I'd like to participate next year too, just as an exercise. :-)
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Very well done.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind