Audio interface

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

tinpan

Audio interface

Post by tinpan »

Another question off this subject; I usually plug either a mic or guitar right into the PC or into the Diamond audio device. It has been suggested that I use an interface, exactly what does an interface do and can you recommend a low cost one that works well with Mixcraft?
Also I will be upgrading to MC7 however I still have both MC5 & MC6 in my pc do I keep them or uninstall them?
TinPan Don
Acoustica Greg

Re: Optimize your PC for Mixcraft!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Your Diamond audio device is probably an audio interface. An audio interface is basically a soundcard that is designed for home recording. Good ones come with their own ASIO drivers, which allow you to choose ASIO in Mixcraft's sound device preferences. Here's an example of one: Tascam US-4x4

This would provide low latency, which means that there would be a very short delay between when the sound enters your computer and when it exits your headphones.

Greg
gypsy101

Re: Audio interface

Post by gypsy101 »

tinpan wrote:Another question off this subject; I usually plug either a mic or guitar right into the PC or into the Diamond audio device. It has been suggested that I use an interface, exactly what does an interface do and can you recommend a low cost one that works well with Mixcraft?
Also I will be upgrading to MC7 however I still have both MC5 & MC6 in my pc do I keep them or uninstall them?
TinPan Don
the simplest & shortest answer is,an audio interface takes the audio signal from a mic or instrument & turns it into digital information that the computer can understand then changes it back from digital to audio so you can monitor through the interface (headphones or speakers).

you can keep both MC 5 & 6 unless you just need the extra room. I have MC2 through 7 on my system.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

An audio interface helps with the quality of sound you can record. Not sure exactly how this works, but I think it mainly has to do with the mic preamps that are in the interface. The pre amps help to amplify and add clarity to the sound that is being recorded.
I was in the same position as you around a year or so ago. I did my research and came across the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. It is a very good quality interface for the money, one of the best. It should work for you, unless you plan on recording more than two things at once. It has only two mic pre's, so you could only for example record guitar and vocals at the same time, but not guitar, vocals, and bass. Anyways, other than if you need to record more than two things at the same time, it should be everything you need. It has been for me.
Basically, all you do is plug the audio interface into your computer with a USB cable. One you load Mixcraft, go into the settings and adjust the incoming signal. Then, just plug your mic, guitar/keyboard or whatever into the interface and wal lah, your good to go. Simple and effective!

Here is a link to the Scarlett 2i2. They can be found used for even cheaper, around $100.00...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focusrite-Scarl ... 3a7f12ef40
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

marc32123 wrote:An audio interface helps with the quality of sound you can record. Not sure exactly how this works, but I think it mainly has to do with the mic preamps that are in the interface.
I would agree.

The 2i2 is known for the quality of its mic preamp but the only Focusrite preamp I found to be a Class A rated model is the Voicemaster. Someone more familiar with Focusrite could bring us all up to date on that.

The $100 Presonus USB has the Class A preamp design but with 24 bit converters @ 48kHz sample rate.
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

AHornsby wrote:
marc32123 wrote:An audio interface helps with the quality of sound you can record. Not sure exactly how this works, but I think it mainly has to do with the mic preamps that are in the interface.
I would agree.

The 2i2 is known for the quality of its mic preamp but the only Focusrite preamp I found to be a Class A rated model is the Voicemaster. Someone more familiar with Focusrite could bring us all up to date on that.

The $100 Presonus USB has the Class A preamp design but with 24 bit converters @ 48kHz sample rate.
What do you mean by "Class A rated?"
-Erik
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Starship Krupa wrote:
What do you mean by "Class A rated?"
Class refers to aspects of circuitry design.

Class "A" has been a gold standard among many audio buffs for some time and while there are advantages, e.g., lower distortion, and utilization of 100% of the input signal, there are also some disadvantages, e.g ., low economy.

Here's a reference to some different classes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Class_B
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

AHornsby wrote:
Class refers to aspects of circuitry design.

Class "A" has been a gold standard among many audio buffs for some time and while there are advantages, e.g., lower distortion, and utilization of 100% of the input signal, there are also some disadvantages, e.g ., low economy.

Here's a reference to some different classes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplifier#Class_B
The link you posted does not describe preamplifiers but rather power amplifiers.

I encourage you to revisit that particular feature and decide how important it is to you. Many things go into an audio interface, for instance A-D/D-A converters.

Here's a good article on shopping for preamps: http://tweakheadz.com/microphone-preamps/

It is quite possible to build a crappy sounding "Class A" amplifier. A manufacturer saying that their preamps are "Class A" just means that they are claiming to have used one particular amplifier topology in the signal path. If they are even telling the truth about that (there is no mechanism for ensuring that they are), we have no idea about the quality of the components used to build that circuit.

It is also quite possible to market a preamp that utilizes the Class A topology and not mention that fact on the spec sheet, so just because the manufacturer doesn't scream "CLASS A" in the marketing literature that you are getting something else.

When I shop for mixers or interfaces, I go by listening tests, my own if possible. If the product has a reputation for having good-sounding preamps, I don't care if they are Class A, Class A-B, Class A-B Negative, or Class Clown.

I use a PreSonus Firebox and a Yamaha MG10 mixer, both relatively inexpensive products which have preamps that are said by experienced users to punch above their weight class. And I have no idea what Class the preamps are.

What I'm saying is perhaps you don't need to trip too hard on that one marketing claim.:) If it fits your price and feature complement and other people who use it say that the preamps sound good, go for it.
-Erik
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Starship Krupa wrote: When I shop for mixers or interfaces, I go by listening tests, my own if possible. If the product has a reputation for having good-sounding preamps, I don't care if they are Class A, Class A-B, Class A-B Negative, or Class Clown.
Continually shopping for pre-amps and mixers for some, isn't the hobby but it can become totally subjective with an infinite set of parameters, as you have evidenced with your post.

Sure, we can BEGIN with our sensibilities when it comes to our ears but I'm pretty sure the OP was interested in getting into this a little at a time -- and I would presume this to be the case for 95% of us as MC users. While I don't disregard any subjective experiences, I wouldn't base my decision solely on anyone's ability to hear something I can't.

My point was, in case the OP was not looking for something like ("...your key to sound perfection..." lol) this:

"http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... aQodIE4Epw"

... that they could start with something of use objectively (or not) to refine their search.

I'm no PreSonus USB lackey but it sounds fine to me and it's very affordable so, hey. -h
tinpan

Post by tinpan »

Ok so I picked up a Focusrite Scarlett solo studio pack, I like it fine but I still have issues, one being this:
I put my guitar in and with headphones plugged in the interface I can hear the guitar in real time which is great however it's the raw guitar, I want to hear the effects Im adding in the mixcraft 7 program, how do I hear the "real time" guitar with the effects added such as the shredder overdrive. How do I do that?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

tinpan wrote:Ok so I picked up a Focusrite Scarlett solo studio pack, I like it fine but I still have issues, one being this:
I put my guitar in and with headphones plugged in the interface I can hear the guitar in real time which is great however it's the raw guitar, I want to hear the effects Im adding in the mixcraft 7 program, how do I hear the "real time" guitar with the effects added such as the shredder overdrive. How do I do that?
Hi,

Click the "Monitor Incoming Audio" button:

Greg
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

Just be aware that the more you load the track up with effects the more likely it is that you will start to experience some latency.

Cheers

John
Starship Krupa

Post by Starship Krupa »

AHornsby wrote: My point was, in case the OP was not looking for something like ("...your key to sound perfection..." lol) this:

"http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... aQodIE4Epw"

... that they could start with something of use objectively (or not) to refine their search.

I'm no PreSonus USB lackey but it sounds fine to me and it's very affordable so, hey. -h
"Take it from your audio experts at Sweetwater...." :roll:

Speechless.

Disclosure: I am by trade a guitar amp repairman and designer, so I have a grudge about the term "Class A." In the guitar amp world, it is seldom used correctly, and often (undeservedly, IMO) held up as some kind of totem of sonic quality or purity.

Anyway, yeah, PreSonus fan here myself. I've been prowling CL for a while seeking an affordable (to me) used Firepod. 8 mic inputs!

That's a thing that I ran up against, wanting to record real drums: 4 inputs get used up really quickly. So if I'm tracking drums (2 overheads, kick, snare), I can't record anything else at the same time. Number of simultaneous inputs is a factor to consider, especially if one is a drummer or wishes to record one.
-Erik
tinpan

Post by tinpan »

Starship, you have me at a loss, Im not seeing what any of that has to do with what I posted. What am I missing?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

tinpan wrote:Ok so I picked up a Focusrite Scarlett solo studio pack, I like it fine but I still have issues, one being this:
Hi,

Are you using ASIO in Mixcraft's sound device preferences? If not, try that. You would listen to playback through the Scarlett Solo.

Greg