Mixcraft or Acid Music Studio

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Alanmix

Mixcraft or Acid Music Studio

Post by Alanmix »

First I would like to sat that I am sitting here with my credit card in my hand and have to make a choice between Mixcraft or Acid. I find that Mixcraft is so easy to use and I have already created some tunes with it and it's great. Then I did some researching and found that acid program by Sony. The guitars that I recorded sounded as good as mixcfraft. When I convert them into a mp3 I hear lots of backround noise as I did when I used my small fender amp. I plugged my guitar straight into the computer and it sounded great with both programs. I do not see the other program giving me options as to have bass lines or drums for that matter.

When I first tried to register I accidentally hit 13 years of age and my user name is Elecctric65. I am 50. Can someone help me out with this as well??
I am looking to make a purchase by the end of the day tomorrow.
Thanks,
Alan
Sungodv

Post by Sungodv »

Hey, I'm just shy of a year from 50 myself.....If I could only go back to 13!
I have used both MixCraft4 and Acid Pro (Music Studio is just a stripped down version) and would have to say it's a toss up.
While there are lots of free VST's and VSTI's the native stuff in MixCraft is pretty damned awesome....
There is a bit more bells and whistles in the Sony stuff, but there are limitations such as track amount that you won't find in MC4.
What makes Acoustica so cool is the support / feedback you get....directly from the creators of the software. And they are musician just like us. Not just software engineers.
They are also open to suggestions and are constantly improving their product which is very refreshing.
If you can learn as much about both you will make a much more informed decision.
I do believe both are available as a demo download.
Why not try both?
Probably not much help, but it's better than nothing...... :lol:
Core2 Quad Desktop & XP Pro - Samplitude 11 & Pro X, SONAR 8.5 Producer & Mixcraft 5 for VST's / VSTi's. Toneport UX2 USB Interface. Audio Technica, MXL & Shure Mics. Loads of basses, guitars & keyboards.

My Music:

www.soundclick.com/sungod
Alanmix

Post by Alanmix »

Alanmix

Post by Alanmix »

What bells and whistles????
I tried both and Mixcraft seems to have more, like drumbeats, effects, etc....
Elecctric65

I just changed my name thanks to the customer support!!

Post by Elecctric65 »

Well it looks like I am going to go with Mixcraft. Has anyone experienced backround noise when saving a project to an mp3?? :?:
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I have not heard anyone complain of this issue, do you have another track that has white noise recorded or something?
Elecctric65

Post by Elecctric65 »

I am not sure but it may be because I plugged into my small fender amp and came out of the headphone output in the amp. When I plug straight in to my laptop, I get the greatest sound, but I can't hear it while I am recording. Am I doing something wrong?? I tried it once and it was delayed.
Alan
P.S. I am good friends with Rick Derringer I bet he would love this just to mess around with....I am sure he has tried most of the older versions online, not to mention that he can go in the studio anytime but I bet he would have fun with this.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Elecctric65 wrote:I am not sure but it may be because I plugged into my small fender amp and came out of the headphone output in the amp. When I plug straight in to my laptop, I get the greatest sound, but I can't hear it while I am recording. Am I doing something wrong?? I tried it once and it was delayed.
Alan
P.S. I am good friends with Rick Derringer I bet he would love this just to mess around with....I am sure he has tried most of the older versions online, not to mention that he can go in the studio anytime but I bet he would have fun with this.
How are you connecting to the puter...are you using an interface and if so which one?
Elecctric65

Post by Elecctric65 »

I am using a regular guitar cable with a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adapter with the gold tip going straight into the mic input of my computer. Is there anything else I should be using??
Thanks,
Alan
How come I can't hear myself in record mode??
This is what I have to work with:
1966 Marshall 100 watt head with matching cabinet
Fender Frontman 25 watt
Lots of vintage pedals
Ibanez 1988 Joe Satriani model (looks exactly like the silver one that he uses now)
1969 Strat
1973 Strat
Derringer Model BC Rich Mockingbird
And various others

If I need anything else please let me know and Thank You for helping.
Alan
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Do you have a preamp?...try boosting the signal with a pre or you could mic the amp...do you have a mic.

I never recorded directly into computer before however i know lots of people do.

How old is your puter...are you running windows xp or 2000.

Im going to send you a Private message.

PM on the way.
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

re

Post by Acoustica Eric »

You would get a much better sound by micing the amp cabinet. Also you have no problem hearing yourself that way.
Acoustica Dan
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Dan »

Hi there,

You mentioned that you are plugging into the microphone input with a stereo cable from the headphone out of your amplifier. Please make sure you are plugging into the Line In, and not the headphone input! The headphone input in mono, amplified, and not designed for line level signals (i.e. headphone outputs). This could easily explain your noise problems.

As far as monitoring while recording, just open your Windows Mixer (or go into File->Preferences->Devices and press the Open Mixer button) and make sure your Line In is turned up and not muted. (Some laptops - i.e. my newer Dell running Vista - do not have any ability to monitor the incoming audio this way, which sucks.)

Let me know if that helps!

Thanks,
Dan
Elecctric65

Post by Elecctric65 »

I have Windows XP on a Dell Inspiron 5100 series and I think that you mean the four audio contols?? Nothing is muted. The only way I can hear myself is with a delay when you hit the monitor and you get the audio delay warning.
I am so frustrated right now man. I wish I could call someone.
Elecctric65

Post by Elecctric65 »

Is there a help number??
Alan
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

No, we don't have a telephone support option. All of our support is done over the Internet.

Click on the File menu in Mixcraft and select Preferences. In the Sound Device preferences, if you've got an ASIO or WaveRT option, try that. If not, try reducing the number of buffers to 8 and the buffer size to 4096. This will fix the lag problem. If you notice playback skipping later, you can up the buffer settings again until the next time you're ready to record.

Greg