Building a music computer

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

UilleannB

Building a music computer

Post by UilleannB »

Hello.

I have been studying for a few years abroad; aside from some small instruments I couldn’t take along my music tools, so that’s what I missed most. In a few weeks I am returning home, and the first thing I will do is upgrading Mixcraft to the then newest version.

Before I left, my computer was already behind the time and I often faced hardware limitations when working with Mixcraft, and I plan to put myself together a new computer just for making music.

So I want to ask for suggestions about hardware, when assembling it from scratch. Was Mixcraft tested with different soundcards, mainboards, processors, (I guess RAM is generally good as much as possible) and is there an “ideal” configuration? Maybe this sounds a bit naïve; I know there will be many options, I just want to get some suggestions and maybe hints what to watch out for.
Acoustica Greg

Re: Building a music computer

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

There are too many variables to make specific suggestions. New pieces of hardware are coming on the market all the time and we can't possible test them all. Your best bet might be to pretend you're putting together a gaming computer. You want a fast hard drive, lots of RAM, fast video, and so on. If you don't already have an external audio interface, you might budget for one of those as well, because an ASIO device can make a big difference.

Greg
outteh

Post by outteh »

Yep! Lot's of options out there. Check out a gaming PC, the specs on them are pretty much what you want for audio. Tiger Direct has some great deals. Audio interface is also a plus. You'll see lot's of recommendations on this forum, Focusrite seems to be a favorite. By the way welcome back! :D
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Thanks. I'll read around then a bit more.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

I got an answer from some other page, telling me that the external audio interface is basically replacing the soundcard in the computer. Not sure if I understand this correctly - an audiointerface is taking over the functions else the soundcard would have? So if I plan to buy an external audio interface, I don't need a good sound card (an onboard soundchip will do)? Or does it add up the speed?
outteh

Post by outteh »

Correct! If you go with an audio interface you don't need to concern yourself with the onboard audio chip or sound card.
outteh

Post by outteh »

Are you thinking of going with a PC or laptop! If you go with a PC try to find one that has expansion capacity, extra slots for more RAM, additional hard drive bays, additional card slots, etc. This way you can get an initial build to start and add on to it as you go along.
UilleannB

Post by UilleannB »

Yes, a PC, because it has these options. A laptop is nice to take along, but has more disadvantages.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Laptops can produce all sorts of recording problems due to their power-saving features.

Greg