How to cheaply incorporate dithering in Mixcraft

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

CazaroTaro

How to cheaply incorporate dithering in Mixcraft

Post by CazaroTaro »

For those who wish to use dithering in their Mixcraft productions, the link below presents an economical way to dither.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18EW ... KSIVak/pub
davefk

Re: How to cheaply incorporate dithering in Mixcraft

Post by davefk »

Thank you! That's interesting info.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

Mixcraft doesn't include dithering because the creators of Mixcraft feel it isn't necessary to obtain the highest quality audio. Dithering works by introducing random noise to the audio, which may or may not cover up any rendering artifacts. There may not be any rendering artifacts in the first place and you'd just be adding random noise for nothing.

If you're hearing obvious artifacts in your mixed down audio, the cause is likely something else and we can help you figure out what that might be.

That said, you can always try third-party solutions to see if you like the results.

Greg
CazaroTaro

Post by CazaroTaro »

Thanks Greg for your generous offer. However, I have yet to assuredly detect quantization artifacts in my music at normal or elevated volumes.

I have put this down to lack of experience with a wide range of music as I have started creating music only in the last year and a half, or due the modest nature of my audio interface – a computer sound card and a pair of Sennheiser HD219 headphones. Or it could very well be as you say that quantization artifacts just are not present in real music.

I published the article on dithering plugins so that anyone who thinks that dithering might make a difference in their music could conduct a comparison by investing a bit of their time, and not a cent of their hard earned money.