Effect Automation Question

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Brian S

Effect Automation Question

Post by Brian S »

So I'm trying to use effects automation, and I get it . . . but I don't.

What I'm trying to do is simply turn on or off the particular effect at a given point in a song. I don't want to alter any of the individual values in the effect. The equivalent of hitting the check box on the effect list window. Is this possible?

Re: Effect Automation Question

Post by 7915983 »

Yes it is, some effects have a dry/wet knob, so you can use that, most effects have some way of turning the effect on and off.
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Each effect differs, but basically you need to automate the amount of the effect down to zero. For example that will be the 'wet' control in the Acoustica reverb and delay, and the 'mix' control in the classic chorus.

Having said that, I agree that an automation line to simply activate the effect on and off would be handy.

The other way of automating effects on and off is to duplicate the track and deactivate the effect on one of the tracks. Then you simply delete the appropriate sections of clip on each track.

Next person to post is going to write a load of stuff about send tracks but I'll leave it them since I never use send tracks.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

aj113 wrote:I agree that an automation line to simply activate the effect on and off would be handy.
+1

I just put it in as a request in the requested features thread. It would really be a time saver.

M
Brian S

Post by Brian S »

Yea, it would be a nice feature, because in this case the effect doesn't have a wet / dry . . . it's just an EQ, but I worked around it by creating two tracks - one with the effect, one without.

Only one would have been required if I could simply turn it on and off.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Do any other DAW's have that? I've messed with a few others but not in depth.

M
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Here are the three methods (including send tracks) in a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samFaxj0ehA