USB 3.0

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

mick

Re: USB 3.0

Post by mick »

Just found this regarding Windows 7 and USB 3.

Is my MOTU interface USB 3.0 compatible?
Yes. Using the latest version of the Universal Audio Installer for Mac or Windows, (found on our Downloads Page), you will be able to establish connection with your system via a USB 3.0 connection.

If you are experiencing issues with Windows 7, there may be an issue with your USB chipset. Windows 7, (and previous versions of Windows) is not inherently compatible with USB 3.0. For USB 3.0 connectivity, check with the manufacturer of your USB controller and update the USB chipset drivers for USB 3.0 operation.

To determine which USB ports are USB 3.0, open the Device Manager and look for the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers" category. USB 3.0 devices are commonly (but not always) identified by "USB 3.0", "XHCI", or "SuperSpeed". Check with the manufacturer of your USB 3.0 controller to confirm how their device is labeled in the Device Manager.

Note: Identification can be done by looking at the physical USB port itself; USB 3.0 ports generally have Blue connectors, or are labeled "SS" for SuperSpeed on its exterior.
If you still have issues, consider entering your system's BIOS and disabling USB 3.0 operation to avoid USB 3 compatibility issues with Windows 7. In doing so, your USB 3.0 ports will operate at a USB 2.0 speed, as all versions of USB are backwards compatible. Consult your motherboard or system's manufacturer for instructions on BIOS updates.

Windows 8 natively supports USB 3.0 operation. If you have issues running a MOTU device via USB 3.0 on Windows 8, confirm your USB 3.0 drivers are updated from the manufacturer's Web site. Updating to Windows 8 will alleviate any unresolved Windows 7/USB 3.0 issues.

On Mac OS X, USB 3.0 is supported on Macs running OS X 10.7.5 or later. Be sure you are running OS X 10.7.5, or the latest version of Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.5) or Mavericks (OS X 10.9.x). If you are experiencing issues with a MOTU MIDI interface connected to Mac OS X via a USB 3.0 connection, test the problematic interface with a powered USB 2.0 hub connected to your computer's on board USB 3.0 port.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

It looks like by calling it "compatible" they want to make believe that it runs with the higher speed a usb 3.0 interface would give. 3.0 usb interfaces are backwards compatible, i.e. run a 2.0 speed.

Believe it, if their interface was really usb 3.0, they would advertise it in big letters and they would not leave space for a hair of doubt... :lol:

-helmut
C# or Bb!
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

:roll: OMG.... all I wanted to know was if there was anyone else making a USB 3.0 audio interface other than Presonus. I didn't mean for this to become a "do I have USB 3.0 or not" and "how does USB 3.0 work" discussion.
Finally Mick sort of answered my question in his long post when he mentioned his Motu interface.
Which model of the Motu do you have Mick and do you see the performance increase by it being USB 3.0?
mick

Post by mick »

Pierre, does the phrase "opening a can of worms " ring a bell? :lol: it seems to happen a lot on the Acoustica forum but that makes it more interesting I reckon. :D
Sorry for the misrepresentation but I don't have a Motu interface, I'm still using good ol' windows audio with asio4all but I'm working on it and is the reason I took an interest.
The Motu post was something I came across and found the mention of Windows 7 not fundementally having USB 3 support could be an important issue for anyone else seeking USB 3 (me for instance)
According to the Motu literature Windows 8 and 10 does have USB 3 support and so I just thought it may help if I presented that bit of reading matter 4 all to consider, I suppose mainly because the subject appears to be going round in circles regarding USB 2 and 3 so it looks like "compatible" ain't the real thing but meaning a 2 and 3 connection will both go a USB 3 socket but with different speed capabilities.
I have something that I refer to when buying anything and it goes like this: The manufacturers big print giv'eth :D and the small print tak'eth away :( This is the reason i mentioned compatible in the first place because to me it is somewhat misleading without any clarification. The'res only one other manufacturer I know of that does USB 3 multichannel audio and that is RME but they want a whopping $1400.
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey Pierre,

See if this is what you're looking for.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/audio-c ... -converter

I see on the ZOOM webpage they have the UAC-8 and also UAC-2. I then looked at Sweetwater's webpage and found both of them listed. UAC-8 is $599. UAC-2 is $299.

Please note, I did not look at all of the technical specs. I just looked at the descriptions on the ZOOM page.

Hope this helps.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Well now, this has suddenly become interesting!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

aquataur wrote:It looks like by calling it "compatible" they want to make believe that it runs with the higher speed a usb 3.0 interface would give. 3.0 usb interfaces are backwards compatible, i.e. run a 2.0 speed.

Believe it, if their interface was really usb 3.0, they would advertise it in big letters and they would not leave space for a hair of doubt... :lol:

-helmut
Exactly right.
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Studio 919 wrote:Hey Pierre,

See if this is what you're looking for.

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/audio-c ... -converter

I see on the ZOOM webpage they have the UAC-8 and also UAC-2. I then looked at Sweetwater's webpage and found both of them listed. UAC-8 is $599. UAC-2 is $299.

Please note, I did not look at all of the technical specs. I just looked at the descriptions on the ZOOM page.

Hope this helps.

Barry
Cool... and the UAC-2 is on sale at Sweetwater for $249