How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GovernmentMule

Re: How to record guitar amplifer into DAW?

Post by GovernmentMule »

marc32123 wrote: Ok Mark, how would I go about this? I know on the back of the amp there is a Phones/Direct Out, and this is where I would plug the TRS 1/4 inch cable in, and than after that plug the other end into my audio interface. I also know I would just plug into the amp directly with my guitar like normally with a separate cable. Last night I tried this though, and tried to record like this. I couldn't get the amp to sound though at all, when the amp was hooked up to the audio interface. What am I doing wrong?

When you plug your cable into the Direct Out/ Headphone Jack it will take the amp sound away from the speaker on the Spider. Make sure your levels on your interface and Daw are up. You should only hear sounds thru Mixcraft if you have input monitoring on.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

My question to you would be, why would you want to record through that amp? It has some basic solid state effects. You'd really be better off going direct and using a modeler (which is essentially what you'd be doing going direct with your amp) or micing the amp. The idea of recording an amp, whether directly or micing it, is to get the inherent sounds of the amp and or effects that you put through it. Again, the mojo of the amp.

M
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

GovernmentMule wrote:
marc32123 wrote: Ok Mark, how would I go about this? I know on the back of the amp there is a Phones/Direct Out, and this is where I would plug the TRS 1/4 inch cable in, and than after that plug the other end into my audio interface. I also know I would just plug into the amp directly with my guitar like normally with a separate cable. Last night I tried this though, and tried to record like this. I couldn't get the amp to sound though at all, when the amp was hooked up to the audio interface. What am I doing wrong?

When you plug your cable into the Direct Out/ Headphone Jack it will take the amp sound away from the speaker on the Spider. Make sure your levels on your interface and Daw are up. You should only hear sounds thru Mixcraft if you have input monitoring on.
So are you saying that if this technique of going direct in like I was describing is done properly that I shouldn't even hear any sound actually coming from my amp when I am recording?
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

Rolling Estonian wrote:My question to you would be, why would you want to record through that amp? It has some basic solid state effects. You'd really be better off going direct and using a modeler (which is essentially what you'd be doing going direct with your amp) or micing the amp. The idea of recording an amp, whether directly or micing it, is to get the inherent sounds of the amp and or effects that you put through it. Again, the mojo of the amp.

M
To answer your question, I just thought it would be the best way to record. I thought I would be able to hear the actual amp playing and making sound when I was recording, but according to Government Mike I guess that it doesn't work like that...?

And by the way, what do you mean by I'd be better off going direct and using a modeler?
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Thats the way it normally works on amps. Line 6 might be different.
Rolling Estonian

marc32123 wrote:And by the way, what do you mean by I'd be better off going direct and using a modeler?
When you've got MC open, hit fx in your track and choose Shred amp simulator, you can choose all kinds of amps and settings. That's an amp modeler. There's all kinds of different ones out there for free, the good ones cost but to me they're more than worth it. You can spend hours exploring and tweaking amp sims.

M
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

I already knew about the shred amp simulator. It has some great sounds. I get very noticeable latency though when I am set to 10 milliseconds. I tried lowering it down to 3 and I can still notice a lil. Right now I am just messing around with going direct into my interface with my guitar, recording clean, and than putting some effects on after. I think that is the best way to get lowest possible latency, at least that I know of.
Pete Stobbs

Post by Pete Stobbs »

GovernmentMule wrote:Looks like the Tubemeister Head is no longer available at Sweetwater or American Musical but the combo is. They maybe discontinuing them.

You people give me GAS
http://www.amazon.com/Hughes-Kettner-Tu ... nd+kettner
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
Rolling Estonian

marc32123 wrote:Right now I am just messing around with going direct into my interface with my guitar, recording clean, and than putting some effects on after. I think that is the best way to get lowest possible latency, at least that I know of.
That's a tried and true method, record clean, then add effects. If you go through your amp, you'll get a wet signal based on the effect settings of the amp, but it won't sound the same as if you mic the amp. And if you do mic it, it's not going to sound very good as that amp is more of a practice amp.

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

marc32123 wrote:
GovernmentMule wrote:

So are you saying that if this technique of going direct in like I was describing is done properly that I shouldn't even hear any sound actually coming from my amp when I am recording?
Just as I suspected from previous attempts, I would have to check the manual for you. :roll:

Spider IV Pilot's guide. Page 2:
9. Phones/Record Out – Connect a pair of stereo headphones here. When
you do so, the speakers are muted. This jack also doubles as a Record
Output. Use a stereo 1/4” TRS cable to connect to a mixer or recording
device.
And just as I suspected, its a stereo out.

But you have to stand really close to that amp to minimize latency. :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Mark Bliss wrote:
But you have to stand really close to that amp to minimize latency. :lol:

So in essence, more feedback = less latency ?

I knew my bleeding ears served a useful purpose :lol:
Rolling Estonian

Picked this up the other day and am LOVING it! Bugera V5, 5 watt class A tube amp. Haven't had a chance to go direct with it yet but have put a 57 on it at .1 watt level and it was some lo fi creamy goodness!

M
Attachments
Bugera.jpg
Bugera.jpg (287.16 KiB) Viewed 3530 times