listening through my monitors

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

hpharley90

listening through my monitors

Post by hpharley90 »

I have had Mixcraft 6 for about 12 months now. I am using a Focusrite Scarllett 2i2 interface....

For about 11 months I have been recording my guitar and listening through my studio monitors to a drum track.....also my guitar came through the monitors without any latency, headphones also....but I haven't like this way to do it...I wanted just the drum track to come through monitors and I will listen to guitar through amp..

So I decided to give it a try..I muted the guitar track when it was armed...the meter is showing that it is recording but not coming through the monitors or headphones....great.....just the drum track is coming through....so I did some recording...
everything was good...but now I wanted guitar to come through monitors or head phones again...so I started recording without pressing mute button on armed track.....guitar will not come through monitor or headphone....Also it is not about pressing monitor button when track is armed....that button regardless of settings always has latency.....I went through preferences
and have everything correct I think, but I cannot get guitar through monitor or headphone...

I hope I'm making sense....

thk
Rich

I
10.5 Pro studio build 596
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Juno

Re: listening through my monitors

Post by Juno »

Your post makes it a bit hard to give a good answer. Several pieces of important information are missing and i'm also not sure if you have the right settings in Mixcraft for what you're after.
If you did before what you're after now, it still should be possible, so let's give it a try.

What are the settings for the sound device in MC?
Can you describe the way your relevant equipment is now connected? (amp, focusrite, guitar, maybe more?)
What is your recording mode in MC?
What are the settings inside the Focusrite?
When you record, what is it exactly you want to hear? Dry, wet? Guitar, drum? Headphones, speakers? And what is is you hear now?

tip: screenshots help tremendously.
We the undersigned being of sound mind hereby do declare:
'We henceforth pledge ourselves unto the power of the Upper Air'
Doesn't that sound simply super
Zeppelin visions of the future
Of course we all know very well it wouldn't work but what the hell
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

my recording mode is in takes...

my stuff is connected guitar>amp>amp line out>Focusrite>computer...

here is a screen shot of preferences

On this screen shot I just want to make clear that I never used this button......that button has latency....

I hope this can help....let me know if you need more....
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Juno

Post by Juno »

So, am i right on this:

-your guitar fx all come from your amp and you don't have any fx plugins on your guitar track in Mixcraft
-you want to hear the guitar sound from your amp on your headphones and/or monitor, both connected to the Focusrite
-you want to hear a drumtrack that plays in Mixcraft, on the same headphones/monitor, with or without fx from Mixcraft plugins
-you want to record the guitar

I think:

-You must set Direct Monitoring to ON on your Focusrite.
-Mute the guitar track in Mixcraft. You probably do not have to mute it, but that depends on a number of things, so better do it.
-Start playback in Mixcraft, you should hear your drums. You should hear your guitar
-If you don't, there is a knob on your Focusrite that adjusts the level of signal that comes from your Line In, so turn it up.
-All should be well. You can also record, if all is indeed well.

Let us know.
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

Juno wrote:So, am i right on this:

I think:

-You must set Direct Monitoring to ON on your Focusrite.

Let us know.
everything else I understand...let me check this out....found out, I don't know how to find out about Direct monitoring on Focusrite....
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I am not sure I fully understand the setup, desired result or question exactly yet, but perhaps this applies?
http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/im-h ... monitoring

And if not, here's 5 more pages of articles, some possibly related:
http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/sear ... monitoring
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Juno

Post by Juno »

hpharley90 wrote:I don't know how to find out about Direct monitoring on Focusrite....
Well, this is something you should really know: it's your equipment :wink: . If Mark's links still didn't give you what you're after, the buttons i'm talking about on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2:
focusrite scarlett 2i2 overview.jpg
focusrite scarlett 2i2 overview.jpg (41.36 KiB) Viewed 4769 times
hpharley90

Post by hpharley90 »

Juno wrote:
hpharley90 wrote:I don't know how to find out about Direct monitoring on Focusrite....
Well, this is something you should really know: it's your equipment :wink: . If Mark's links still didn't give you what you're after, the buttons i'm talking about on the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2:
focusrite scarlett 2i2 overview.jpg

That was it...thank you so much...I must have moved that switch.....I'm 59 and my wife says the same thing..."you should know these thing" she says...as I get older I find there are too many things to remember :lol: ....but I won't forget this for the near future anyway....you guys are awesome...

thks
Rich
Dell XPS i7-10700 2.9Ghz
48 GB RAM
Windows 10
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Need to correct a couple of minor things.
First, Juno is awesome. There is no question. Not me. I'll have none of that!

Me, I'm simply amazing. Nothing more. 8)

But here's another thing. You are fretting over a little lapse, forgetting to try a setting? And you want to blame it on age?

Well here's another perspective:
First, it gave you practice trying stuff. No matter how frustrating, it was practice! And we all need to maintain a good quantity of failed attempts, lest we become perfect or some such nonsense.
And second, another facet of the bright side!
Wait, I forgot what I was gonna say.........

Oh yeah! Look at it this way!
You just got a nomination to the legendary Mixcraft "Old Farts Club"TM
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Juno

Post by Juno »

Glad it works!

Yes, age is one of the better excuses, but - in both directions. I would therefore have used the chance to blame it on my youth :mrgreen: . It doesn't work with everything, like hair loss, so better make the most of those opportunities!

We're all awesome here, the merely amazing exception aside :P . The other day, i was thinking about tattooing it on my forehead. "We're all awesome", how awesome would that be! I imagined thousands of tattood foreheads all saying "that tru!" Crazy tattoo artist couldn't even spell right in my hallucination, can you imagine?

Don't worry, i got a prosthetic forehead on my real head. (You see how this post meandered from clear written lines to crazy enigmatic lyrical referrals? That's because of my youth.)