Tinny sound/intrmittent

Support and feedback for Spin It Again.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan

bvg

Tinny sound/intrmittent

Post by bvg »

I connect my turntable to an HP Envy laptop via a USBPhono plus preamp device. When listening to completed projects (lp's to digital through itunes) sometimes it sounds tinny and "electronic". I don't hear any problem when I monitor the sound during recording or playback on the PC, it's only after I've created the sound files and listen through Itunes. Sometimes the final project sounds pretty good, other times not. Is there some import setting on itunes I'm not using? Is the problem that I'm capturing the audio through the USB port? The only other input on my computer is the headphone icon input- does that mean I can't (or shouldnt) use the line-in setting? Maybe the gain trim should be set differently? Yikes.

Brad Van Grack
Acoustica Greg

Re: Tinny sound/intrmittent

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

You should be able to get great sound via USB, and as you mentioned, it sounds good in Spin It Again. When you create the audio files, what kind of audio files are you making? If you load one of the files back into Spin It Again, does it sound good?

If you don't already have version 2.5 build 46, you can download it here: Download Spin It Again.

Greg
bvg

Post by bvg »

I just loaded a sound file of a previous project and it is tinny on playback. Since it sounds great during recording on the preamp monitor it has something to do with the file being created. Compression?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

When you record it in Spin It Again, you are recording in wav format, so there is no compression. When you created the audio files, what kind of audio files did you create? MP3 files are compressed, and so are WMA and Ogg files. However, they should still sound pretty darn good unless you've chosen some low quality settings for them.

Greg
bvg

Post by bvg »

hmmmm. it was mp3 and set at cd quality. What should it be set at?
bvg

Post by bvg »

also is there some sort of setting on itunes that imports the audio files that I could have wrong?
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Does it sound good when you play the recording in Spin It Again the first time, before you mix it down?

There might be a Windows setting. Right-click on the small volume control icon in your Windows task bar and select Playback Devices. Next, right-click on the playback device you're using and select Properties. On the Enhancements tab, put a check mark next to "Disable all enhancments," or just uncheck all the enhancements if you don't have the disable option.

Greg