Recommendations for a good set of headphones for mixing?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

marc32123

Recommendations for a good set of headphones for mixing?

Post by marc32123 »

I have a cheap set of headphones I bought from Wal Mart, definitely not pro quality for mixing vocals etc. I am wondering if someone can recommend me a good set of headphones for mixing?
Acoustica Greg

Re: Recommendations for a good set of headphones for mixing?

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Look for monitoring headphones, because they won't add extra bass or otherwise mess with your perception of your mix.

Of course, many people say that you should have monitor speakers in a room for the best mixing, because that way you hear the way that the mix reverberates in actual room.

Greg
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

What's your budget? If it's a lot, like Greg said, most would recommend monitors. You can mix with headphones but it's not optimal.

M
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Rolling Estonian wrote:What's your budget? If it's a lot, like Greg said, most would recommend monitors. You can mix with headphones but it's not optimal.

M
And if you do end up mixing with headphones, look for studio monitor headphones.
marc32123

Post by marc32123 »

I actually already have some studio monitors I bought awhile back for around a couple hundred. They are nice, but I want just wanted to find a decent set of headphones too. I am looking to spend probably around 100 or so, not much more.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I had the same budget a couple years ago and went with the Sony MDR 7506, very good for that price point.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Prof ... B000AJIF4E

M
chibear

Post by chibear »

I've been using Sennheiser HD-280's. You didn't mention if you were looking for open back or closed back.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

One cheapish headphone I would advise staying clear of is the Shure SRH440. I used to have these before they failed, and they proved to be far too forgiving for mixing, in that just about anything would sound good through them, including a terrible mix. This is the nature of headphones that are actually intended for Hi-Fi, and should therefore be avoided.

Beware of many companies claiming their product to be 'Reference Studio Headphones', because that just tends to be marketing hype - even 'Beats by Dre' claims it, and they are total bass-heavy garbage.
Last edited by Ianpb on Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Mike Senior goes on at length about the pro´s and con´s of mixing with headphones in his book.

The bottom line for me was, I could not accomplish even the most basic requirements for a recording/mixing environment and I make the best out of what I have.

However, Mike Senior stresses the fact, that monitors and headphones that have bass inflation (which may otherwise sound good) are misleading, because the way they achieve this bass boost usually comes along with phase shifts.

My recording interface has a DSP built into it that allows for virtual reference room simulation. This is vastly over-enthusiastic. I tried it and it just illustrated the fact that all monitoring systems do lie and none of them reveals the thruth. What is the true sound? There is no reference sound.

Fact is, that many users listen to music over cheap speakers with limited range, such as radio sets, desktop mp3 players, TV sets and the like.

You are thus well within the mark if you mix your productions at least for a while with grot-boxes and other imperfections. If it sounds good there, chance is, it will sound good anywhere.

I do have some old AKG headphones that are totally closed, and wearing them becomes uncomfortable very quick.
Comfort is a very important point.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Excellent points Helmut.

Mike Seniors discussion on the subject of monitoring was some of what I felt to be some of the most honest, logical and factual based I have read anywhere.

And ultimately, isn't the whole point in the end, how a song sounds on the gear you normally listen on? Your car, home stereo, etc? (But if you are mixing for the sound on the "smart" phone, you might consider taking up a new hobby.... :lol: )

So, back around to the original question, monitoring on headphones. I certainly think they have a useful place in monitoring. And I even think the cheap/bad ones play a useful role. Would I try to mix on Beats? No, but as long as you know they inflate the bass, they might have a use. (Actually they are overpriced and evidently also have a reputation for breaking, but that's an unrelated topic.)

The bottom line is to know your monitoring equipment and space, and how it effects the sound. This is why referencing well known music plays such an important role. You can do a lot with inexpensive gear if you know the limitations and creatively and intelligently compensate I think.

Set a budget and maintain realistic expectations. Study the options and consider your needs. Open, over the ear and sound isolating each have their place, and you may need more than one of these options for your specific solutions.

Just some suggested considerations.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

chibear wrote:I've been using Sennheiser HD-280's. You didn't mention if you were looking for open back or closed back.
those are good.
I have semi-open AKG240'S that I use for everything but vocal or condenser mic tracking. my condensers pick up EVERYTHING including a cockroach farting two rooms away. :roll:
the bass "lies" a little bit but not much.
mick

Post by mick »

When I eventually go for new headphone's I will be taking my trusty old Beyerdynamic dt231's for a direct comparison as well as some music I'm familiar with, something bassy and something with sax,cello,violin, flute and vocal to reveal any coloration or distortion, and some drum stuff to test for dynamics and stereo sound stage rather than go for a blind listen. :D
The Grado SR80i has good reviews if you go for open back type.

EDIT: I just found this if it helps at all ...https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews ... hones.html
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

As you can see, recommendations abound. Who wouldn't recommend the cans they actually use? Even with cost as no object, I'm satisfied with the MDR V6's portability AND sound quality even though I do want to try out what chibear has. :lol: -h

http://www.cnet.com/products/sony-mdrv6/
jlouvar

Post by jlouvar »

whitzmusic wrote:For mixing, nothing works better than studio-grade open-back headphones. Sennheiser's HD650 is a beast, but comes at a pretty high price. I've also tested and liked Beyerdynamic's 1990 Pro. For a budget option, the AKG K240 semi-open back headphones perform admirably well.

Be cautious to not fall for brand name or positive reviews alone and get a closed-back pair, though. They're great for monitoring, but not at all for mixing.
Wow, this is an old thread that you dug up (that really belongs in the hardware wars forum). But I recommend mixing with studio monitors rather than headphones. With that said, I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones for tracking.
- Joe -

MX9PS, 64-bit, build 460. Windows 10, Intel i5, 64-bit, 1.8GHz, 8GB.
Reverbnation: https://www.reverbnation.com/joelouvar
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

jlouvar wrote:But I recommend mixing with studio monitors rather than headphones.
If you do a mix with studio monitors, it can be pretty well guaranteed that you'll find something amiss when listening to the result through good headphones, particularly with regard to detail, and when switching between stereo and mono.