Need some help with guitar wiring

Use this forum to discuss preamps, guitars, microphones, mixers, drums, turntables, keyboards and recording equipment in general.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Rik

Need some help with guitar wiring

Post by Rik »

Hi all. My question has nothing at all to do with mixcraft. I am asking it here as I know there are lots of very knowledgeable people on here.

A few weeks ago I was given a Les Paul style guitar. It has a lovely warm sound to it but the pickup selector switch is worn out and broken which makes the guitar continually cut out at the slightest movement so I ordered a complete re-wiring kit as at least one of the pots is crackling too.
The kit came with a wiring diagram but it looks very different to the existing wiring inside the guitar.

The only writing on the guitar says "satellite".
It has a standard 2 hum-bucker setup.

The original selector switch has 3 poles with cabling soldered to each whereas the new switch has 4 poles. 2 of which the wiring diagram says to solder together and it says the wiring should be soldered to the other 2 terminals with nothing being soldered to the 2 soldered together.

Also the supplied pots in the kit are marked as 2x a500k and 2x b500k. If memory serves one pair is linear and one pair is logarithmic. The wiring diagram says absolutely nothing about this so I have no idea as to which pair shouls be used for tone and which for volume.

All help on this will be greatly appreciated.

If needs be I can provide photos in order to clarify things.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:
gypsy101

Re: Need some help with guitar wiring

Post by gypsy101 »

where did you get the harness? got a link?
a pic or make/model of the selector switch would help.

as for the pots,Gibson uses the Linear pots for volumes so that might work best for you unless you don't use the tone knobs so they might work better there. it's all personal preference.

I prefer 30% audio taper pots w/ 50's independent wiring myself.
here's a link to just about every wiring you could imagine for a LP-

https://www.google.com/search?q=seymour ... 80&bih=593

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips- ... paulwiring
Rik

Post by Rik »

Thanx for the reply gypsy101. I really appreciate you taking the time.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00G ... ge_o01_s00
That's the link to the wiring kit.

I will try to post a bit more information later, unfortunately the keyboard on my laptop keeps malfunctioning and will only work for a short time, I have ordered a replacement but it will take a few days to arrive.
There IS method in my madness! At least, that's what I tell everyone. :lol:
outteh

Post by outteh »

Think of it this way the a500k (a=audio) is the volume pot. Look on the internet for standard wiring diagrams for two humbuckers - some of them show the 4 post switch vice the 3 post switch.
9zz-seymourized02.jpg
9zz-seymourized02.jpg (62.99 KiB) Viewed 5500 times