Question about EZ drummer

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dave1990

Question about EZ drummer

Post by dave1990 »

Hi
When I export EZ Drummer 2 to mixcraft it opens another fader. I guess because it is stereo.
Don't like that so....

Does any one know how to import from EZ drummer 2 to individual drum tracks on Mixcraft 7.
Like kick on one track, snare on one track, hhat and so on.

thanks
Dave
Rolling Estonian

Re: Question about EZ drummer

Post by Rolling Estonian »

I'm still contemplating whether I'm going to get EZD2 and have been doing some research.

I found this. http://www.homestudiocorner.com/recordi ... mer-video/

M
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Joe Gilders tutorial is on EZDrummer 1 and Protools, so there are some differences.
(Joe's tutorials are often very good by the way. Good channel to study.)

I have not had the opportunity to work with EZDrummer 2 yet, but I am going to bet its similar enough to figure out that part with the tutorials tips. IE: you will need to set it to multi out, and its probably done in a similar manner in the EZDrummer mixer.

The other part is quite a bit different than the video unfortunately.
Where he set it to individual tracks, in Mixcraft you will need to set it up to route to lanes. As far as I know there is no way to route it to individual tracks.

Open the Mixcraft VSTi menu by clicking on the instrument icon in the instrument track header.
Insert EZDrummer of course.
Then click on config, and set the desired number of lanes to send the output channels of EZDrummer to.
EZD multiout.jpg
EZD multiout.jpg (70.31 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
I have a Mixcraft/EZDrummer template set for using this way, that I would be glad to post a copy of for EZD1 users.

Let us know what you find, several people have expressed an interest in EXD2.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Correct. You´ll also have to set up the mixer within EZD for "Multichannel" by clicking on one of the numbers below the track sliders. You only have to this once and it will be valid for all of them.

Note that the choice of channels apprears random. Toontrack uses a fixed scheme to assign instruments to tracks, but this stays consistent. This results in a few "empty" tracks occasionally if for a given kit the instrument is not used.
Unfortunately there is currently no way to know the instruments by name for Mixcraft, it´s is just a channel.
You can thus create a template once you found out what is what. Note however that, if you assign an exotic kit like the Latin Kit, this assignment will be wrong again.

Also, the resulting structure resembles a submix with individual tracks, not lanes.

Using the EZD2 timeline is a two sided solution. You can grab the clips on the EZD timeline and then drag them onto the (hitherto) empty MX track. This has the advantage that you can edit and equalize them to your heart´s content, but has the disadvantage that you cannot easily get back into the EZD timeline. EZD is really a program within another program.
You can export the ezd clips to MX after your project is complete, but when is a project finished?

I prefer to work on EZD timeline, since it is in synchronism with MX, and work with projects within EZD.

I have personally dropped all ideas about exporting to MX, since the kits always appear well balanced. For a non-expert on drums & Co the results of tinkering around can only become worse.

Your time is probably better invested if you play around with fills or manipulate the patterns by editing their parameters for more variation.

Tip: I usually do export the EZD tracks once my project is past the recording state, since this gives me something to look at on the (otherwise empty) MX track. This makes it easier to work with automation and gives a visual clue to sections. After saving the drum parts within the EZD shell (EZD project) I evacuate the EZD timeline.
If you ever wanted to go back to editing, you´ll have to throw away MX timeline and re-import the EZD timeline.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
MeanMrMustard

Post by MeanMrMustard »

I've recently been looking into both EZD2 and EZKeys for use in M7. Just to add to the discussion... I came across this video which explains things pretty in-depth. Hope this helps...

EZdrummer 2 Tutorial Series: Multi Channel Output

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAL0BsN30QE
dave1990

Post by dave1990 »

Thanks for this..
It has helped me out..

dave
dave1990

Post by dave1990 »

By the way Mark.
This was perfect I just kinda don't like that I still have the stereo fader that controls all of the tracks. I pulled them in and I still have the fader of the track they were imported working.
But in a way I think it is ok because I have sort of a mini buss to watch levels of the whole kit. The reason I want control is mainly for the kick to use compression and eq.. the rest seems pretty good from EZ drummer.

Just a note here about mixcraft. Micraft always surprises me of the remarkable capability up against the others like pro tools logic and the rest. Mixcraft is so great and easy to use. I used to use Fl Studio about 6 years ago before I found mixcraft and I have to honestly say the support and being able to find out information is beyond the call of duty. FL is a great DAW but I had to jump around so much I lost my hair.. lol

So cheers to Mixcraft and the great support. I spread the word all the time and look forward to Mixcraft being a leader in DAW's

Just wanted to say that.....

Dave
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I understand and agree Dave, I would prefer to have them go to tracks instead of lanes myself, and have more flexible send bus routing. The way Joe's video shows having a midi track and the resulting audio tracks is a bit of a tease. :cry:

These are things a few of us have been suggesting for future versions. I am confident we will see Mixcraft improve in these areas in the future.

And welcome, if I didnt already say that! 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Sorry about the dated video, it was late and Santa decided to bring me a bug for Xmas...... Ugh.

I also saw a tutorial that showed how to save an individual track as a wave file and open it in MC if you wanted to do it that way.

I'm still undecided on EZD2....... It would be more of a splurge rather than a more logical expenditure. Meaning I could get the less flashy stuff that I use and need everyday........ Anyway, I'm laid up so I'll have time to think about it.

M
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Just a reminder to those who are considering an upgrade to Ezdrummer 2, the reduced "upgrade" price expires December 31 according to their website.
No matter where you go, there you are.

aquataur

Post by aquataur »

(Re: lanes)
Mark and Dave,

you are talking about different things I get the impression.

EZD2 produces submix tracks, not lanes
If they were all lanes, I agree, you cannot control each individually. Or to put it different, you only can control them simultaneously.

Different to that, EZD2 produces a submix-like structure, which we know, lets you control each track individually.
Reading Dave´s previous post, I understand that he does not like the submix (=group) stereo faders to be there.
You can always ignore them (=leave them on 0dB).

I don´t know if you can send to buss tracks from inside there, never tried.

And for Rolling Estonian: you will never look back once you use EZD. The only exception is, if you are a drummer and know what you are doing with drums.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Yep, Helmut is correct, I mistakenly used the wrong term in saying lanes, sorry for any confusion that may have caused.

I should have called them child tracks. And the "problem" I mentioned is that you cannot route child tracks to a send bus.
So unfortunately if you desire (as I do) to have the option of using a send bus for a common reverb for your snare and some other elements, and say, another send bus with a compressor for your kick and snare for example, you need to use a workaround.

This is probably not a big deal for most users, especially with processed drum samples as often used in EZDrummer. Being more accustomed to mixing drum multi tracks makes me miss this mixing method I guess. Just turning the room mic up or down might tweak the "room" or space in the mix enough for some people as well.

I don't think EZDrummer was really designed to be used the way I want to, but I want to anyway! I don't like this limitation, so I have suggested a future feature in Mixcraft to allow routing of child tracks to a send bus. And in addition, the ability to route the send return into the input of a submix. Somewhat unconventional perhaps, but its a convenience that should be available in this digital age.

It would also work to be able to route like in Joe Gilder's video, where the MIDI is in an instrument track and the multiple instruments get routed to their own tracks. Never worked that way, but it looks interesting, especially the way he mixed down to audio tracks by recording the MIDI. Hmmm.

To explain (again) why my request would be handy IMO.
Example: If I create a drum mix, complete with reverb and compression used on send bus's the way it is now, all routed to a submix, the send bus returns are routed to the main bus. Changing the level on the drum submix would not change the level of the send returns, therefore throwing off my carefully prepared drum submix. The ability to change the send returns to the input of the submix would make this work as desired.

My current workaround to achieve any of the above is to finish writing and arranging my midi drum track and split the midi up into individual tracks and then mix the drums.
Kind of defeats the purpose and flexibility of using a multi out VSTi in the first place doesn't it?

And getting back to the OP, I kind of sidetracked the post, sorry.
I am not exactly sure about the "panning" question. We may have to revisit that after some further explanation or description of what you are trying to do.

*Edit: I just re-read and see you said "fader" not "panning."
Last edited by Mark Bliss on Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
dave1990

Post by dave1990 »

I liked EZ drummer but when EZ2 came out I tried it and I absolutely love it.
The big thing is the ability to throw in fills on the fly so easy and on tope of the EZ searches fills that match the patter you chose.
Just a little tid bit for anyone wanting to go with EZ drummer.

I used to use SI drums and sorry to say although they served me well SI drums are not even in the same class.
Best move I ever made was to upgrade to EZ2

Dave
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

With all the rooms and mikings and processing they do, they have a certain sound in mind, like retro drums.
You either like it or not. It either fits your music piece or not. Mostly it does.

This piece of software is no doubt geared towards entry level users, despite its superb sound. There is no machine-gun drum machine sound. However, if you want more, you have to spend more dough by the looks of it.

I never got any of their expansion packs, but I did get a Jazz Midi pack from another company. This uses the standard EZD kit and does it very well for a comparably low price.

What may appear as a shortcoming (limited post processing capabilities) does become a strength: you reach a goal very quickly without having to worry about post-processing. You can always change the kit or tone down the reverb or similar.
And the kit is always balanced.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

I completely agree, the sounds as processed are fine and usable for the typical user, and I am just a bit particular and being nutty for wanting the flexibility to tweak them further. (The features and improvements I have described as desirable for Mixcraft are IMO even more useful for a lot of other things however.)

As far as expansion packs go, I added a couple that provide a few more specific drum sounds I was after, some brushes and vintage styles for example. And again, this may be totally unnecessary for most users. Especially if you only do one style of music, such as rock, or something. I tend to wander all over the place stylistically and feel the need for some extra variety.
The original set is just fine. Especially it appears the expanded set in EZD2. I will soon know, as an "exclusive" discount arrived this week that applies on top of the soon expiring upgrade discount offer. Yeah, they finally got me. :roll:

The MIDI packs may have one small advantage in that they easily download and install as OE. However, what you get for your money is pretty slim IMO. You can get a LOT more content for your money in the aftermarket. And if you look around enough there are quality sources for good, human played professional drum MIDI packs at very reasonable prices. And there's tons of free drum MIDI everywhere, though it tends to be of the heavily quantized drum machine variety. It can still be used as a starting point if desired.
And of course, you can still write/play your own and create your own library as well. This thing is pretty flexible. Its strengths and weaknesses may be interpreted in whole different ways depending on the users specific needs and desires I suppose.
And once again, we have wandered far off the OP's question. Sorry about that...... :lol:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page