Anybody have any experience?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

GovernmentMule

Anybody have any experience?

Post by GovernmentMule »

With these?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Daily-Pick. ... e=4TP5M2BB

Looks like a good deal. From the reviews I've read around the net they are pretty good for cheaper mics and decent for beginners and home studio's.
The only mic I have right now is the Shure SM58. Was looking to pick up a condenser mic for recording acoustic guitar.
Keep in mind I'm only a hobbyist. Would be interested in any info and experience with these. Thanks
fredfish

Re: Anybody have any experience?

Post by fredfish »

No experience - but looks like a really sweet deal!

I am sure that you have noticed this - but your interface can provide phantom power? If so looks great.

Cheers

John
TrevsAudio

Post by TrevsAudio »

Take a look at this video - this guy is pretty credible :wink:
Old Dudes Rock!
Trevor
OFC™ Founding Member
Dell 3050 SSF i3, 32gig RAM; MX 8, 9 and 10.5 Pro; Win 11 Pro
Focusrite 2i2; Sennheiser HD650 cans

Sample Projects: https://soundcloud.com/trevs_audio
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@trevsaudio
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

fredfish wrote:No experience - but looks like a really sweet deal!

I am sure that you have noticed this - but your interface can provide phantom power? If so looks great.

Cheers

John
Phantom Power? Can't I just string together a bunch of 9 volt batteries? :lol:

Yeah, I have the Zoom R16 plus a couple of other pieces of gear with phantom power.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

GovernmentMule wrote:
fredfish wrote:No experience - but looks like a really sweet deal!

Cheers

John
Phantom Power? Can't I just string together a bunch of 9 volt batteries? :lol:

Yeah, I have the Zoom R16 plus a couple of other pieces of gear with phantom power.
:D :D

But I am really jealous now - I just looked and they wont ship this deal to the UK! not fair :(

I have the Zoom R24 so would have been perfect.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

That's a very good deal. My friend had a 990 as his first condenser and it served him well. If you're just starting out and are just a hobbyist, I think that's a no brainer. And if/when you do upgrade they could always come in handy, most gear usually does at some point. If I had a little extra I'd be tempted.......

M
Studio 919

Post by Studio 919 »

Hey GovernmentMule,

I have that same set of mics. I have used the 990 (the fat mic) exclusively since I got started in recording. I've never used the 991 (the pencil mic). I have been really pleased with the results I get with the 990. Plus, that is a good price.

I also have a ZOOM R16. Just a reminder: on the R16, inputs 5 and 6 are phantom power and directly above the 5 and 6 gain knobs is the switch to turn on the phantom power.

Barry
No matter where you go, there you are.

GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Studio 919 wrote:Hey GovernmentMule,

I have that same set of mics. I have used the 990 (the fat mic) exclusively since I got started in recording. I've never used the 991 (the pencil mic). I have been really pleased with the results I get with the 990. Plus, that is a good price.

I also have a ZOOM R16. Just a reminder: on the R16, inputs 5 and 6 are phantom power and directly above the 5 and 6 gain knobs is the switch to turn on the phantom power.

Barry
Thanks for the feedback Barry. I was hoping for more feedback on the 991 too, I've almost bought the Shure SM57 about 100 times now! I went ahead and bought the deal anyway, I only had a couple of hours left for the sale. It was still under $75 even with shipping and the 990 is usually $100 on it's own. You can never have enough toys to play with.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

fredfish wrote:
But I am really jealous now - I just looked and they wont ship this deal to the UK! not fair :(

I have the Zoom R24 so would have been perfect.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John
I've heard alot of people from across the pond talking about not letting them in on certain deals. I wonder why? I would think if the shipping was paid for there would not be a problem.

I was also reading another thread you were posting in and see you are a Novation guy. This is supposed to be delivered to me next week.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... NTROL-LIST

I got it on sale for $49.99. I picked it up to control plugins, I hate using a mouse.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback guys and if I do not like them I blame all of you. :lol:
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

GovernmentMule wrote:I've heard alot of people from across the pond talking about not letting them in on certain deals. I wonder why? I would think if the shipping was paid for there would not be a problem.
There's a VAT tax in most countries when importing, plus, things are just more expensive overseas.

I was looking at the Novation Launch Control to use for plugins and beats as well, but I decided on the Akai LPD 8, 8 knobs and 8 pads, enough for what I need it for. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AKA-LPD8

I use AMS all the time too, if I order before 4 I'll get my product the next day with free shipping, can't beat that!

M
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

GovernmentMule wrote: I was also reading another thread you were posting in and see you are a Novation guy. This is supposed to be delivered to me next week.
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... NTROL-LIST

I got it on sale for $49.99. I picked it up to control plugins, I hate using a mouse.
When I got my LaunchPad S it came in a pack with the Launch Control bundled with it. It is a great little controller - I don't think you will be disappointed.

Cheers

John
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

GovernmentMule wrote: Keep in mind I'm only a hobbyist. Would be interested in any info and experience with these. Thanks
I might be opening an explosive argument but would this be for announcing/singing, male/female, acoustic instruments?

-h
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

Amongst my little collection of condenser mics, I have a Fame CO1 Deluxe, which is much cheaper, yet just as decent as my Behringer B-1. In actual fact, I tend to find very little difference between any of the condenser mics I own, and what differences there are tend to be lost in the mix anyway. The one exception to this rule is my Audio-Technica AT2035, which is distinctly darker than the rest, and is excellent for rock vocals.
GovernmentMule

Post by GovernmentMule »

AHornsby wrote:

I might be opening an explosive argument but would this be for announcing/singing, male/female, acoustic instruments?

-h
Mostly acoustic guitar! I do not have alot of experience with mic's. The acoustic guitar I have is an acoustic/electric and have been mostly going straight into the interface and it is not so great. I do not sing but I have recently been been talking with a friend about doing some stuff with him. So having the extra option with these and trying to learn more about mic's and setting them up and experimenting is why I picked them up.