unsupported CODEC AGAIN!!!!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

clavguy

unsupported CODEC AGAIN!!!!

Post by clavguy »

I've read all the posts here about unsupported CODECs and how to fix that. I have downloaded all the different recommended CODEC packs and I still can load a .mpg file that plays fine in media player... :evil:

Any ideas?
THanks
PIerre
aj113

Re: unsupported CODEC AGAIN!!!!

Post by aj113 »

Yes, there is a lot advice on here about codec packs etc but nothing ever worked for me. MC supports AVI and WMV, and they are the only two formats I have ever been able to use.
Tiasdad

Post by Tiasdad »

The trouble is, files like .mpg, .avi etc. are just a wrapper containing an audio file and video file and it depends very much on how these are sampled as there are endless variations.

One thing that has worked for me in the past is, try changing the extension from .mpg to .avi and see if that works ;)
Gary
“Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.” ― Frank Zappa
My Soundcloud
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Pierre, I hear ya. Until recently I had just thrown in the towel on working with video much, just too many hassles, its slow, the files are huge, etc. Not just in Mixcraft, but in general. I have run into the same problems, not only format compatibility, but some files dont work well in some players, etc etc. After going through the hassle of trying to add codec packs, trying alternative players etc, I just got frustrated and dropped the idea of video editing and creation for a while.
But back to your specific question, my wife got me a (basic) GoPro camera as a Christmas gift, which records in MP4. I have PC playback set by default to Quicktime, which plays back smoothly SOME of the time, and I can report that Mixcraft loads MP4 video files for me just as well as other common formats. (WMV, AVI for example.)
I am not real familiar with the various formats and their sources, but I think MPG is a close cousin to the various common MPEG family of formats. Are the video files produced on your own camera or imported from another source?
Either way, bottom line, I would consider looking into a file conversion approach as an alternative to the codec packs. I got downright annoyed at the fishy process that search opened me up to. Everywhere I tried I found adware and worse. REALLY annoying!
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Which media player?

VLC has a good range of CODEC support.

-h
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Mark Bliss wrote:my wife got me a (basic) GoPro camera as a Christmas gift
So when will be seeing those videos of you snowboarding, surfing, skateboarding and skydiving? :evil:

M
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Mark Bliss wrote:Until recently I had just thrown in the towel on working with video much, just too many hassles, its slow, the files are huge, etc. Not just in Mixcraft, but in general...
Yep, and that's the reason that MC only supports WMV. (Forget AVI - it's way too big to be usable). MP4s are a bitch to edit even in dedicated video editing software. WMV files on the other hand work very well. So my approach is to convert all files to WMV using X-media recode and after the editing is finished I export at the highest possible quality, then (if necessary) convert the export to he required format.

BTW, in my experience MC 64 bit is much more capable of editing video than MC 32 bit.
chibear

Post by chibear »

aj113 wrote:.......... So my approach is to convert all files to WMV using X-media recode and after the editing is finished I export at the highest possible quality, then (if necessary) convert the export to he required format..
This, except so far I haven't bought a video converter but just search up a freebie or free trial when I need to as I don't do video all that often.

EDIT: I just had a look at my WIN X HD Video Converter and it's still functional. The free version limits video length to 5 min.

The expensive DAWs have a larger number of formats you can work with but I imagine Acoustica would have to pay a premium for the extra licenses which would be passed on to us.
Last edited by chibear on Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

During my video endeavours (before Mixcraft) I encountered similar problems.

I wound up using HuffYUF as an intermediate format. Decent and lossless compression, but easy to digest for editing programs.
Caveat: Don´t upload any HuffYUV coded container formats, since this is not part of any standard operating system installation.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
Pete Stobbs

Post by Pete Stobbs »

clavguy wrote:I've read all the posts here about unsupported CODECs and how to fix that. I have downloaded all the different recommended CODEC packs and I still can load a .mpg file that plays fine in media player... :evil:

Any ideas?
THanks
PIerre
I had this problem. Any help?

http://forums.acoustica.com/bbs/viewtop ... obb#p91818
Win 8.1
8 gig ram
AMD A4 6210 1.8 GHz
Focusrite solo.
Hughes & Kettner TubeMeister 5 head.
Blackstar ID30 TVP

https://soundcloud.com/pete-stobbs
https://soundcloud.com/toltec-jive
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

Mark Bliss wrote:Pierre, I hear ya. I would consider looking into a file conversion approach as an alternative to the codec packs. I got downright annoyed at the fishy process that search opened me up to. Everywhere I tried I found adware and worse. REALLY annoying!
I got the AVS set of conversion tools... one of them is a video converter and converted to AVI and everything is good.... Thanks Mark

CHeers
Pierre
aj113

Post by aj113 »

chibear wrote:...so far I haven't bought a video converter but just search up a freebie or free trial when I need to as I don't do video all that often.....
Xmedia recode. Totally free and professional quality IMO. http://www.xmedia-recode.de/en/download.html
clavguy

Post by clavguy »

thanks Clyde