Bass Loops

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

Bass Loops

Post by msnickybee »

Any top tips for bass loops? Other than Google (hit and miss, too many websites trying to sell stuff) or Kontakt (looks to complicated for ol' me).
thanks guys!
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
Acoustica Greg

Re: Bass Loops

Post by Acoustica Greg »

HI,

Do you want loops or do you want a virtual instrument? "Loops" generally refer to pre-recorded audio files. Or are you looking for a good bass virtual instrument?

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Thanks for replying!
Well, I've built many of my own tracks with bass sounds and eg the bass devil VST and things, but I just find actual sample loops sound more authentic for my acoustic pop/rock stuff :-) although still open to suggestions!
Mixcraft has some great ones which I've now kinda exhausted, because they (necessarily) cover so many genres.
So yeah, real bass loop samples please!
I have ProStudio.
Nicky
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Acoustica Greg wrote:Hi,

Did you get the ones in our MVP Loop pack?

Here are some places to look for third-party loops.

Greg
Thanks!
Yes, got the MVP one, seen some of the others on that list.
I wonder if any of the paid ones are worth it...
Nicky
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

Doubt this will help, BUT before i baught my bass i used my guitar to record the bass, and just used the
"edit audio" thingy (when you doubleclick on your audiotrack) and pitched it down 6 semitones and just added
EQ/reverb etc.. to get the sound i wanted. Might be worth a try?

RobertAllan
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

RobertAllan wrote:Doubt this will help, BUT before i baught my bass i used my guitar to record the bass, and just used the
"edit audio" thingy (when you doubleclick on your audiotrack) and pitched it down 6 semitones and just added
I've tried this... a bit... and it works a wee bit... but what I really want to try is what I can hear Jack Johnson seems to do... muted acoustic with a plectrum timed in unison with the bass, to give it some bite.
So much to try.... :-)
Thanks Robert!
Nicky
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Anyone got any tips for the new Omni Sampler with respect to bass sounds? perhaps combined with the XBass 4000L Bass Enhancer?
I've no experience of the former... but whilst I've tried bass sounds on my midi keyboard, I wonder if the Omni sampler gives any sonic advantages? Is it really just pitch shifting sounds just the same? Making it easier to trigger the notes across a scale.

All ideas welcome!
I really don't want a mahoosive bass guitar in the house, got enough acoustics!
I've even thought about a Bass Ukelele thing with rubber strings (now what was it called...) because it was more compact, it'll come to me...
Nicky
RobertAllan

Post by RobertAllan »

msnickybee wrote:
RobertAllan wrote:Doubt this will help, BUT before i baught my bass i used my guitar to record the bass, and just used the
I've tried this... a bit... and it works a wee bit... but what I really want to try is what I can hear Jack Johnson seems to do... muted acoustic with a plectrum timed in unison with the bass, to give it some bite.
So much to try.... :-)
Thanks Robert!
There is too much to try once you figured out what sounds your going for :D

RobertAllan
Mab098157

Post by Mab098157 »

Pitch changing has issues with tone/pitch variation during sustain. You seem to be a talented guitarist, I'm surprised no one has given the most common answer related to bass and bass recording...get a cheap bass. I think you'll be happier creating you own stuff than searching for the "right" loop and working your vision around it's limitations.
Mark Bowie
Illinois

It's all in your mind
outteh

Post by outteh »

I assume you have a keyboard? Creat midi bass using the Mixcraft bass vst's! The Finger Bass emulates pretty well and you can enhance it with the x400 enhancer. For acoustic work, the Acoustic Bass vst is pretty nice also. :D
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Mab098157 wrote:Pitch changing has issues with tone/pitch variation during sustain. You seem to be a talented guitarist, I'm surprised no one has given the most common answer related to bass and bass recording...get a cheap bass. I think you'll be happier creating you own stuff than searching for the "right" loop and working your vision around it's limitations.
I used to have a bass guitar Mark. Sure, my fingers are tough (grrr!) but bass was tougher!!
Mebbe a kids bass!? Possibility?
If I had the money, I always wanted one of these Ukelele Bass things (got a small house, don't want to be knocking ornaments off shelves with a great hulking bass guitar, one of my main acoustics is a Taylor GS-Mini! lol)

I think you might be right tho, the time has come, I've spent too many songs finding loops, manipulating, twisting, sampling and splicing... even Kate Bush had Del Palmer tho I guess..... (but she also had a Fairlight)
thanks
Nicky
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Mab098157 wrote:Pitch changing has issues with tone/pitch variation during sustain. You seem to be a talented guitarist, I'm surprised no one has given the most common answer related to bass and bass recording...get a cheap bass. I think you'll be happier creating you own stuff than searching for the "right" loop and working your vision around it's limitations.
I used to have a bass guitar Mark. Sure, my fingers are tough (grrr!) but bass was tougher!!
Mebbe a kids bass!? Possibility?
If I had the money, I always wanted one of these Ukelele Bass things (got a small house, don't want to be knocking ornaments off shelves with a great hulking bass guitar, one of my main acoustics is a Taylor GS-Mini! lol)

I think you might be right tho, the time has come, I've spent too many songs finding loops, manipulating, twisting, sampling and splicing... even Kate Bush had Del Palmer tho I guess..... (but she also had a Fairlight)

We're sat tonight listening to Gerry Rafferty - songs like "Night Owl" and "Get it right next time", and I just sit here listening to the bass, plotting and a scheming the next song (beats doing the washing up)
thanks
Nicky
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

These are in stock at my local guitar shop... http://www.backalleymusic.co.uk/content ... e_(inc_Bag).html
Problem is, change too many variables, as a solo musician it becomes harder.
I write most of my songs either on acoustic, or more likely in Mixcraft sitting back and being inspired by the rhythm track I lay down and piano I score.....hmmmm
Nicky
outteh

Post by outteh »

Lot's of free midi bass loops and patterns available, easily modified! :wink: