Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Acoustica Greg

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Drag and drop clips between instances of mixcraft.
You can currently copy and paste between projects within the same instance of Mixcraft. Copying clips between Mixcraft Projects.
Option to set master volume displayed in db e.g -1db rather than as a percentage.
Go into Mixcraft's Display preferences to switch between decibels and percentages.
The ability to save a project including Clips as a template.
To save as a template, choose "Save As" from the File menu and change the file type to Mixcraft Template.
Have multiple projects open at the same time.
You can do that now. Of course, if you are using exclusive mode and possibly ASIO mode, you would only be able to hear one project.
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

How to change the values of automation e.g. Trying to record volume automation using my MIDI controller is a nightmare using a rotary pot as the values it sends out are so small in increments that it essentially becomes useless. Is there any way to change the values that Mixcraft receives e.g. for every 2 drop in Velocity mixcraft will record 4, 6 drops, etc. Almost like applying pre-Boost to an automation lane?
What kind of MIDI controller do you have? There may be a setting you can change on it to do this. When I automate volume, I don't have that problem.
Option/shortcut key to constrain the mouse to horizontal movement e.g. when editing velocity.
Ctrl+A to select all the notes, then right-click on one to set the velocity for all, or choose the velocity option from the Edit menu. Also, here's a nifty tip you might not know:

Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The ability to change the width of the piano keys in the Piano Roll.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

What does the Strength value refer to in Midi Editing_Quantize?
This determines how rigorous the quantization is. 100% would sound more mechanical than 1%.
How to change velocity for multiple notes in relative proportions e.g. hold down SHIFT.
You can do this with MIDI Editing > Velocities... I guess you're suggesting a keyboard shortcut.
Key modifier when midi editing e.g. to temporarily switch to pencil mode.
Why don't the notes light up in Step Editor to indicate which are being played?
They do. Check your Display preferences.
How to rename a plugin in the plugin manager i.e. how it will be shown.
Create a preset for that plugin and call it anything you want.
The ability to hide/delete a factory Instrument preset.
In Mixcraft 7: choose "Manage Plug-Ins" from the File menu and uncheck the ones you don't want to see.
If I select a Clip the focus should be around that Clip i.e. zooming in/out, loop marker playback, etc.
Zoom is based on where the caret is placed. If you click on a clip and set the caret there, you'll zoom to that point.
The option to select multiple Clips and change their global parameters e.g. setting Pan levels for one Clip applies the same settings to all the other selected Clips.
Pan is track based, but one of the nifty new features of Mixcraft 7 is that you can set parameters for multiple clips. For example, you can select a group of clips and give them all the same name, change how many times they loop, transpose them, etc.
The option to properly stick Clips i.e. to avoid accidentally moving them.
Right-click > Properties > Lock.
Option to bounce/export a single Clip.
Select the clip, then choose "Use Selection" when you go to mix down.
Zoom function/preset that allows you to see every clip on every track in the same window.
Press the zero key.
Fast-forward/Rewind to marker positions.
Play From Next Marker: CTRL+[SPACE]
Play From Previous Marker: CTRL+SHIFT+[SPACE]
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

But other than that andrew, how do you like the product?
Alot. I absolutely agree with what other people have said about Mixcraft being a fun and simple way to make music. I spent the past year going through pretty much every Windows DAW out there and kept coming back to Mixcraft.

I know the list I posted was long but the vast majority of them are just these minor annoyances where I found myself constantly asking "Why is this not here?" or "I wish they did it like this..." I still enjoy working with Mixcraft and don't for one minute regret buying it (I own the Pro version).
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Sorry Greg! I know it was a long post.

I'll have a read through what you've put and clarify. :D
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

THE OPTION TO HIDE AUTOMATION DISPLAY!!!
You can already choose to show or hide the automation lane. You must mean something else?
Limitations with child tracks (e.g. not being able to render individually).
Select only the child track, then choose "Use Selection" when you mix down.
Native 64-bit plugins.
If you install 64-bit Mixcraft, many of the plugins are 64-bit. Alpha Sampler, Omni Sampler, the Acoustica effects, etc. If you have Pro Studio Pianissimo is 64-bit, Glass Viper is 64-bit and so on. We don't want to throw out the old 32-bit plugins for backwards compatibility reasons. Besides, those plugins don't need to be 64-bit, they aren't going require more than 4 GB of RAM, and Mixcraft automatically bridges them.

Isn't it cool that Mixcraft automatically bridges 32-bit plugins? I think it is.
SideChaining.
Pro Studio 7 comes with Beatrig Sidekick 6 Extended. Mixcraft 8 is slated to have native sidechaining.
Select all tracks!!!??? Select multiple tracks!!!????
Select multiple tracks and be able to change parameters together or singularly
Mixcraft 8.
Track_Properties_Track Height_Set Custom height.
Here's a nice trick: you can hold down the shift key and drag the height of one track to change them all.

One-click on a track to switch all FX on or off
Here's what you can currently do:

Select all clips on Track: Delete button on keyboard doesn't work.
Ooh, you're right! I'll file a problem report. It does work if you use the double-click method to select the clips:

It also works if you use SHIFT+CTRL+A to select the clips.
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

The option to always show details as a default when choosing an Instrument.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Suggestion for Mixcraft 8:

I am hoping it will support the new HD8t audio format.
More Info
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Hahahahaha!

M
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

I hate April Fool's jokes!
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

Okay Greg. I've just made myself a coffee and I'll start going through your comments.

I don't know how to refer to your pictures so I'll just use the original request.
The option to always show details as a default when choosing an Instrument.
Excellent. Made a note.
THE OPTION TO HIDE AUTOMATION DISPLAY!!!

You can already choose to show or hide the automation lane. You must mean something else?
I'm talking about the constant Clip automation display and track volume display. I like to be zoomed out and click in and around the workspace, move clips around etc and have lost count of the number of times I have inadvertently clicked and adjusted the volume for a track/Clip, for example. The only time I want something like a volume envelope displayed or editable is when I actually want to work on it!
Limitations with child tracks (e.g. not being able to render individually).

Select only the child track, then choose "Use Selection" when you mix down.
Sorry. What I meant was how would you render the individual stems of a multi vsti e.g. drums without having to do it one at a time? I don't know if you'll answer this later (I'm literally just working my way down the list) but I'm also referrring to not being able to route individual send levels of child tracks.
Native 64-bit plugins.

If you install 64-bit Mixcraft, many of the plugins are 64-bit. Alpha Sampler, Omni Sampler, the Acoustica effects, etc. If you have Pro Studio Pianissimo is 64-bit, Glass Viper is 64-bit and so on. We don't want to throw out the old 32-bit plugins for backwards compatibility reasons. Besides, those plugins don't need to be 64-bit, they aren't going require more than 4 GB of RAM, and Mixcraft automatically bridges them.
That's fair enough. I just seem to recall taking a small performance hit when using some of the 32-bit plugins.
SideChaining.

Pro Studio 7 comes with Beatrig Sidekick 6 Extended. Mixcraft 8 is slated to have native sidechaining.
Nice to hear.
Select all tracks!!!??? Select multiple tracks!!!????

Select multiple tracks and be able to change parameters together or singularly

Mixcraft 8.
Ditto.
Track_Properties_Track Height_Set Custom height.
Yeah I'm aware of that trick. To be honest I can't really remember now what the issue was. I think I was thinking that it would be nice rather than choosing a small, normal, large preset that a user could create their own to be used as a template.
One-click on a track to switch all FX on or off

Here's what you can currently do:
Yeah this is kind of what I'm talking about for most of my issues. I cannot stand having to go through multiple clicks, gui's etc more than is absolutely necessary. What about left-click to switch FX channel on/off and right-click to open up FX gui? I also find the FX button really confusing. If I disable all FX on it the FX button is still lit up. Also I know this is going to sound slightly pedantic but assuming you don't have the FX gui open your way is two clicks (3 if you include having to close the gui again)!?
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Now that we are narrowing down the list....... :lol:
andrew7a wrote:I'm talking about the constant Clip automation display and track volume display. I like to be zoomed out and click in and around the workspace, move clips around etc and have lost count of the number of times I have inadvertently clicked and adjusted the volume for a track/Clip, for example. The only time I want something like a volume envelope displayed or editable is when I actually want to work on it!
I have to agree on this point. The ability to simply disable the track automation function would be a good idea. I also experience frustration with the frequency of accidental automation point creation and alterations.
Increasing the track size helps, but then takes up screen space. The ability to just toggle the function would be nice.
But then theres the difficulty of "hitting the line" when I AM creating automation points..........
andrew7a wrote:Limitations with child tracks (e.g. not being able to render individually).
What I meant was how would you render the individual stems of a multi vsti e.g. drums without having to do it one at a time? I don't know if you'll answer this later (I'm literally just working my way down the list) but I'm also referring to not being able to route individual send levels of child tracks.
This has been an ongoing request since the child track feature appeared. Much needed routing flexibility. Hopefully some improvement is slated for future version upgrades.
One-click on a track to switch all FX on or off.......
Yeah this is kind of what I'm talking about for most of my issues. I cannot stand having to go through multiple clicks, gui's etc more than is absolutely necessary. What about left-click to switch FX channel on/off and right-click to open up FX gui? I also find the FX button really confusing. If I disable all FX on it the FX button is still lit up. Also I know this is going to sound slightly pedantic but assuming you don't have the FX gui open your way is two clicks (3 if you include having to close the gui again)!?
Left click opens the plugin menu, one click toggles all off, one more to close the menu. I dont really have a problem with that, but a shortcut wouldnt hurt.
Right clicking the FX button opens the plug in gui, which is very handy, but if you have multiple effects chained, it opens them all and you often have to sort through them to find the one you want to work with. Maybe a way to make the last one you worked with open on top would be a nice improvement? What do you think?
Even with my fried old memory, I dont really have a problem with the FX button indicator/color, but I can see where a minor change in this function would be a nice touch. Maybe a third color when inserts exist but are toggled off? That would be relatively simple to add.
But theres one more little niggle here for me. When you open the plug in menu and toggle them to disabled, the insert name and background goes to that dreadful gray on gray and I cant see what it is. Maybe a minor re-think on that one is in order. Invisible isnt a good graphic design in this case.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
andrew7a

Post by andrew7a »

How to change velocity for multiple notes in relative proportions e.g. hold down SHIFT.

You can do this with MIDI Editing > Velocities... I guess you're suggesting a keyboard shortcut.
Absolutely e.g. double-click on piano roll to select notes and then hold down SHIFT to drag velocities up/down in relative proportions.
Key modifier when midi editing e.g. to temporarily switch to pencil mode.
Yeah, again a single key modifier that you could hold e.g to switch from arrow tool to pencil tool for quick edits.
Why don't the notes light up in Step Editor to indicate which are being played?

They do. Check your Display preferences.
I don't really know what to say. I have "Change note color for playing notes" enabled and the piano roll lights up to display which note is being played but there's no visual indicator for the Step Sequencer.
How to rename a plugin in the plugin manager i.e. how it will be shown.

Create a preset for that plugin and call it anything you want.
Not really sure what you mean. I'm talking more about being able to change the way a plugin is displayed e.g. "ME80" to "ME80 - Synth" for example.
The ability to hide/delete a factory Instrument preset.

In Mixcraft 7: choose "Manage Plug-Ins" from the File menu and uncheck the ones you don't want to see.
No. I'm not talking about a plugin I'm talking about Instrument Presets. Suppose I have no interest in "Reed" or "Ethnic" or I only like 2 presets out of the 17 Guitar - Distorted ones. It would be nice if you could disable ones from showing (the only way I've found is actually doing into the InstPresets folder in Mixcraft and renaming the file extension which is kind of a pain). Maybe have an ignore list like for VST?
Also, if you choose to hide a plugin from display in the Effect List it will also then be hidden within any collection folder created. It would be nice if you could "physically" move FXs under categories like "Acoustica Effects" or "VST Effects" into folders like "COMPRESSORS", "EQ", etc (i.e. stop them then from being showed under general category).
If I select a Clip the focus should be around that Clip i.e. zooming in/out, loop marker playback, etc.

Zoom is based on where the caret is placed. If you click on a clip and set the caret there, you'll zoom to that point.
I actually have it set to Mouse Cursor under Interface_Zoom Mode. Why couldn't there be an option there for "Clip"? Its the same with looping: if a Clip is selected and I then press loop surely it means that I wish loop markers to take their dimensions from that Clip; if i click on another Clip it should switch to that; if I have multiple Clips selected it should encompass that start of the first Clip and the end of the last Clip selected?
The option to select multiple Clips and change their global parameters e.g. setting Pan levels for one Clip applies the same settings to all the other selected Clips.

Pan is track based, but one of the nifty new features of Mixcraft 7 is that you can set parameters for multiple clips. For example, you can select a group of clips and give them all the same name, change how many times they loop, transpose them, etc.
I thought Clip automation ran before track automation? I think what I meant was that although the Clip Envelope Type was global if you select 2 Clips and even link them if you changed the Volume Envelope on one of them it won't be applied to the other.
The option to properly stick Clips i.e. to avoid accidentally moving them.

Right-click > Properties > Lock.
Thankyou. Made a note.
Option to bounce/export a single Clip.

Select the clip, then choose "Use Selection" when you go to mix down.
Thankyou. No option to render to audio though (i'm thinking a midi clip) within the project. I think was another issue that I had with child tracks with multi out vstis that in order to see the audio waveform of the kick, for example, you have to export the track and then import it (or have multiple instances of the vsti and assign one instrument to each!) rather than being able to bounce it within the project, if that makes sense?
Zoom function/preset that allows you to see every clip on every track in the same window.

Press the zero key.
Thank you.
Fast-forward/Rewind to marker positions.

Play From Next Marker: CTRL+[SPACE]
Play From Previous Marker: CTRL+SHIFT+[SPACE]
Damn those are fiddly shortcuts!
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

At this rate, Mixcraft will be in danger of losing its user-friendliness by becoming overcomplicated.