Avoid compressing the reverb? (when using send tracks)

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

msnickybee

Avoid compressing the reverb? (when using send tracks)

Post by msnickybee »

guys

Mebbes you can help me with this? :-)
I've done a lot with Mixcraft, but I confess I haven't tried the new Output tracks much, or used more than simple Submixes.

So....
How can I avoid compressing my Masterbus reverb *or* compress before the reverb on this simplified song below?
(I basically prefer not to do this, but do Limit everything tho)

SubMix1 vocals & SubMix2 guitars & SubMix3 drums
======>
..........SendTrack1 (reverb) (various amounts)
..........======>
....................MainMix masterbus FX housing a compressor
======> (dry path)
..........MainMix masterbus FX housing a compressor

BUT what if I set this up? -

SubMix1 vocals & SubMix2 guitars & SubMix3 drums
======>
..........SendTrack1 (reverb)
..........======>
....................Output Track1 (no FX)
======> (dry path)
..........MainMix masterbus FX housing a compressor

So, I'm using the same destination soundcard for both the Output track and MainMix
a. Will this work?
b. How can I successfully meter it to ~-1dB with eg Voxengo Span? Appy that on both Output and Main bus? Are they summed?
c. I realise I could achieve this with slightly more complex SubMix's, and in some cases each of those are compressed at that level (and that's good), but I still want a gentle master compressor for colouration
d. Is there another way?
e. On my MainMix output I also have Hi/Lo pass, some saturation, and gentle EQ - would I have to duplicate these somewhat on to the new reverb output track?
f. Have I misread the ACTUAL routing that takes place in Mixcraft? (am gonna look quite quite stupid if so!)

thanks you folks!!
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
aquataur

Re: Avoid compressing the reverb? (when using send tracks)

Post by aquataur »

Mate,

your entry is unreadable. Rather make up a short project and upload it or even a screenshot.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
aj113

Post by aj113 »

a Yes
b Span on both output and main mix. They are not summed, they are entirely separate.
c/d - that's how I'd do it
e Yes, think of it as a karaoke situation: the output track is simply printed over the main mix like a karaoke vocal over a stereo wav, so you need to apply separate reverbs, FX etc.
f Not really. The output track can be assigned to a separate card but I don't think many people use it like that.

Just be aware: If you change the main mix's level on the master slider, the output track will not move with it, so set both the master slider and the output track slider at 0db and leave them there.

For all you insane loudness merchants who are struggling to get the snare through the master limiter - this is how I do it! I call it the "karaoke snare" - you heard it here first folks!
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

aquataur wrote:your entry is unreadable
sorry!
aj113 wrote:They are not summed, they are entirely separate.
c/d - that's how I'd do it
Thanks for confirming the thing about Output buses working ok!
Well, don't get me wrong, compressors on submixes are fine, and I do this :-) Because I think the output bus thing doesn't give the same effect to the overall sound, but I get that it works for you with letting a snare bypass the main limiter.

But I still think it's not possible in Mixcraft to achieve:
(1) All-Tracks -> (2) MasterBus compressor -> (3) Send track (reverb) -> (4) MasterBus limiter

Mixcraft would always want to do:
(1) All-Tracks -> (2) Send track (reverb) -> (3) MasterBus compressor -> (4) MasterBus limiter

A *single* Submix is possible to achieve this easily of course.

I tried the Output Bus idea suggested.... and, whilst it is summed with the Main Bus, it's far from ideal, and doesn't sound the same.

Thanks!
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel