Best I can

Use this forum to show off any audio delights you've created with Mixcraft!

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dodge27

Best I can

Post by dodge27 »

This song is dedicated to a friend who passed away last year , and to all of those who feel the clouds of depression on a daily basis.
It took me a long time to finish this , but I think the results are okay.
https://soundcloud.com/stephen-thomas-o ... best-i-can
msnickybee

Re: Best I can

Post by msnickybee »

dodge27 wrote:This song is dedicated to a friend who passed away last year , and to all of those who feel the clouds of depression on a daily basis.
It took me a long time to finish this , but I think the results are okay.
https://soundcloud.com/stephen-thomas-o ... best-i-can
Hi Steve
And let me say IMHO it's more than "okay", I really like it, the hook (title) line is stuck in my head, and it's a good song, great singing.
To be honest, I listened all the way to the end. That's more than I do for other songs on here (miaow), or even my own songs (!), I'm that impatient (and grumpy) ;-)
The acoustic panned to the left sounds a little loud throughout, but to be honest, Soundcloud isn't the greatest HiFi representation of anyones music. That might be because you leave it in that fairly extreme panned position throughout, whereas maybe you could double track it and send it wider in the chorus, although I do see the keys you added panned R in the chorus to even things.
But what do I know! Not much!! But my words are well meant.
Thanks for posting, I recognise the sentiment hugely, my mum and sister passed last year, and after a while it brought a surge in my songwriting, so I know how hard it is.
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
dodge27

Post by dodge27 »

Thanks nicky , I had trouble pitching the vocal at first , singing a b note in places over a c lydian verse , so I created a piano part playing the vocal melody to pitch to and then deleted it after tracking.
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

dodge27 wrote:Thanks nicky , I had trouble pitching the vocal at first , singing a b note in places over a c lydian verse , so I created a piano part playing the vocal melody to pitch to and then deleted it after tracking.
That's a good idea!
Less confident singers would use that track as a midi input into pitch correction/autotune s/ware :D
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
M@rkus

Post by M@rkus »

Really well performed! Nice production, arrangement and played, well mixed!
Well done!
M@rkus/
Sweden
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Notebook PC, AMD A6-3410 MX APU, 1,60 Ghz, 8 gb RAM, Win 7 ultimate 64 bit. Mixcraft 7, Ampliube 3, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
2. Asus AMD FX-4100 Quad core 3.60 Ghz, 16 GB ram, Mixcraft 7, Win 7/64 Ultimate SP 1.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Thank you.

We are musicians. Depression is a familiar landscape to us. -h
midimoose

Post by midimoose »

Hello,
Beautiful song-- well done. I agree with Nicky, the title line "hook" stuck with me all day. It's a sentiment I can easily relate to. Thanks, Rick.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time." Albert Einstein
dodge27

Post by dodge27 »

just an after thought re the mix , I started using Waves NX headphone plugin 2 weeks ago as I have an untreated room.
I disable the headtracking feature as it is a little distracting , but I swear it sounds very very close to my near field monitors. With out the room colouration confusing my ears, I am finally able to hear / adjust the reverb in the mix. I still check overall levels on multiple playback systems but for me its been a big help.
cheers
Steve.
ruhestrom

Post by ruhestrom »

awesome song... personal stuff tends to be the best... and tbh, i write the best when i´m in a bad mood myself :)

keep it up man, love that

may i ask which guitar you used? and amp and all that? plugins or hardware?

hopefully i´m not too nosey now :D
dodge27

Post by dodge27 »

HI thanks for your interest in the guitar sounds in the mix ruhestrom , I used the S-gear amp sim software with an Ibanez rg870 using the neck pickup for the clean lead fills and solo and bridge pickup for the outtro solo.I have tried most amp sims and I think the Scuffham S-gear software , nails most tones I am looking for.the effects sound great and can also be used as a send effect in Mixcraft.
cheers
Steve
Sir Sparky

Post by Sir Sparky »

great stuff , just loved the song , words can mean so much , wish I had the talent to write words like that .
I can just never write them down properly :( and the music was just great could listen to it all day.
Keep up the great work :)
Mixcraft 7 Pro - Roland Octa-Capture - Rokit8 speakers and sub -DigiTech VocalistVR - Behringer MDX2200 composer pro - Roland U-220 - M audio keystation - Boss GT-3 - Boss GT-6B
Lots of luck and good friends :D
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Great tune Steve, and nice work on the production.

And thanks for the input on the Waves NX. Been on the fence, maybe next time its on sale.........
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page