Pinch harmonics, feedback, other effects in a vst

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

BillW

Pinch harmonics, feedback, other effects in a vst

Post by BillW »

Obviously guitar effects like harmonics and feedback are created naturally from playing technique and ampa. But amps and many effects are simulated well with vsts.

But can vst settings simulate something like feedback? How about pinch harmonics ("squeelies")?

Just curious
Proud member of the Mixcraft OFC!

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
AHornsby

Re: Pinch harmonics, feedback, other effects in a vst

Post by AHornsby »

It's getting close to what we can imagine but not really. They've got the overdrive down and my guess is that the distortion and feedback are coming along -- as the marketplace can support the effort -- AND as the desirability warrants.

http://simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm

-h
carllackey

Post by carllackey »

you can easily create pinch harmonics with the shred amp vst. just use the distortion. if you want feedback,use a lot of gain, and add a compressor. or, try out native instruments guitar rig. it will do anything you need. i'm a guitar player and guitar rig is all i use.
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Amp sims have come a long way in the last few years. I've got a bunch and have tried pretty much all of them, though the one that I keep coming back to is Amplitube, the Fender package in particular. As mentioned, Guitar Rig is good and Waves GTR3 is up there too.

But to answer your question, yes you can, you just need to tweak the OD/distortion and the gain. If you add a touch of comp and delay, that'll get you there.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Thanks for the tips. Almost done teaching this quarter and I will finally get some mixcraft time in the evenings to try this out

I'm thinking of trying my hand at the Atlanta Rhythm Section's version of Spooky, but the guitar solo practically requires pinch harmonics.

Mixcraft 8 Pro (32bit) runs fine on a Toshiba Satellite C55-B laptop with a wimpy Celeron N2830 (dual core). Now using 64bit on a "less wimpy" Dell 660S/Dual Core Pentium/8GB RAM.
BillW

Post by BillW »

Oh, and I intend to jump on the Pro upgrade special price this weekend. Perfect timing - thanks, Mixcraft!

mevalade

Post by mevalade »

I just got the upgrade but can't figure out how to enter the registration code!
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

I disagree with whoever says it isn't there yet.
1. Guitar pedals like the Line 6 POD500X or any other modern pedal are loaded with vst effects for amp sims. They are the most widely used guitar processors today.
2. I rarely plug in a physical amp these days when it's time to record because the virtual amps are worlds better.

Example "A", one of the guitars and all of the bass is done with virtual amps - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0M3rl ... freload=10

Example "B", I did this with shred, 5 years ago - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT3cv6GPS-4

Example "C", more recent cover tune using shred - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTSDxPDR6YA
Rolling Estonian

Acoustica Eric wrote:I disagree with whoever says it isn't there yet.
I think the difference that most people can't quite get is that the sound isn't the sound of an amp when you're right there, you know what I mean? Being in the room with an amp with tubes humming is different than just having on headphones or listening over speakers, even loud.

Not trying to get into the tube/solid state/digital argument, just pointing out the difference to me, I like micing the amp and recording it, just a different experience.

M
Acoustica Eric
Site Admin

Post by Acoustica Eric »

Yes, but you just have to use more than headphones.
I run my playback through several sets of speakers, one is a PA system which I blast at live level. Guitar sounds no different than an amp.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

As far as pinch harmonics, it seems that some sims are not only capable, but are made specifically to exaggerate them if anything. IE: some of those chirpie dives in Eric's examples.
And as Eric also eludes to, the feedback response can still rely on the interaction of loudspeaker and guitar. It would be hard to emulate that without the sound of the amp re-exciting the strings IMO. Which creates certain monitoring challenges and the potential for finishing off my hearing loss......... :(
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Acoustica Eric wrote:Yes, but you just have to use more than headphones.
I run my playback through several sets of speakers, one is a PA system which I blast at live level. Guitar sounds no different than an amp.
I get it but I sure don't have several sets of speakers one of which being a PA, so my amp is what I crank (when I'm allowed :oops: ) I was just trying to make the point that when you're playing through a hot tube amp it has 'that' sound and feel. Again, not knocking anything, just making a point.

M
BillW

Post by BillW »

Ok Eric, I'm convinced. Example A illustrates the pinch harmonics effect I'm after.

Now, can that be done without external speakers (internal only?) I t appears you recording with microphones.

So is it the combination of the virtual amp, the physical playing style (the "pinch") and the interaction through the PA or whatever speakers that creates that sound.

I suspect you mean you can run through a virtual amp and still get the effects through the speakers. I unfortunately am constrained to recording internally exclusively given I'm doing this in my house while others are sleeping or watching tv. No private studio for me.

gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

feedback (sustained,harmonic,sympathetic-lot of terms for the same thing) only happens w/ a bit of volume & speaker interaction. sine I record direct a lot I pick a time when I can record some samples using different techniques,notes,chords,etc.etc. and save them as WAV samples then insert them into a song & even change keys as needed.