Windows 10 and USB interfaces

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

cremley

Windows 10 and USB interfaces

Post by cremley »

Here is my experience...

Are you using Win10 and a USB Audio Interface? If so, it does get messed-up.

It could be the never-ending updates from Microsoft.

It also could be any Virus Scan software that is "looking" at any open files (like the huge WAV files from a mix).

My Mixcraft PC does not connect to anything...no WiFi, no Internet. I manually update it and then don't have to bet on when Windows will update or a Scan on the computer happens. Maybe you can turn off/unplug during recording?

Let me know what happens....
Rolling Estonian

Re: Too much system memory in M7

Post by Rolling Estonian »

cremley wrote:Here is my experience...

Huh? I've been using W10 since day 1 and I have only had a couple of hiccups, one with my interface but a firmware update took care of that. Otherwise, smooth sailing.

There's a lot of folks here who've had no issues with W10 and their interface.

M
Acoustica Greg

Re: Windows 10 and USB interfaces

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

Mixcraft 7 was developed under Windows 10. I have a Line6 UX2 interface here and I had to update my audio drivers when Windows 10 came out, but it works fine now. A lot of audio interface companies haven't even released new Windows 10 drivers yet, because their audio interfaces are just working anyway.

So, if you're having problems with a particular audio interface, check and see if there are new audio drivers for it, or check with the manufacturer to see if they are planning on releasing new drivers for Windows 10.

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
cremley

Post by cremley »

Well, maybe I'm just lucky !!! ;-) I have never had good luck (low latency and low CPU usage) using any ASIO driver.

I may have a bum chipset that doesn't work well....it is an older AMD Athlon X2, but in the Core Audio mode, it works great !!!

I do have to say that this recording PC does have a Fender Mustang, and a Roland USB MIDI interface pushing data along with an old M-Audio Delta 66. Maybe it is just too much for the controller/chipset. I have to record in ASIO mode to get the guitar, but do all my playback in Core Audio mode. If I try to playback or edit in ASIO, it just gets all confused.. burps, hiccups, stuttering, bizarre noise in playback...I can't explain. I have played with all of the buffer sizes and what-not, but it just sounds horrible.

Now, after crying about how cheap I am, does anyone have any experience with Thunderbolt Interfaces on PC? I will eventually have to relinquish my PC to the Smithsonian, so let me know what you think.

Cheers !!
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

Cheap and Thunderbolt aren't mutually exclusive. When you combine the PC with the I/O, you'll be looking at a good chunk of change. Yes Thunderbolt is the fastest out there but really isn't necessary to make great recordings efficiently. I would focus on the PC and I/O before worrying about that, IMO of course.

M
JonInc

Post by JonInc »

Take a look at the second generation Scarlett series from Focusrite. The lower three models are out now, with the others due within the month. They supposedly deliver super-low latencies to rival the old PCI cards (I'm an old Delta card user myself).

I'm thinking of getting one of the cheap models (the Solo or 2i2) and taking it out for a spin. If it's as good as they claim in their ads, I'll probably sell my last Firewire unit (Steinberg MR816), and go for the Scarlett 18i8 or 18i20.
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Thunderbolt:

The only Intel based platform for Thunderbolt I know is ASUS, they recently brought out a plug-in Thunderbolt card.
Buuut....

In lieu of a 8x ADAT expander I invesigated some more on high speed interfaces. Focusrite geeks say, a Firewire400 interface, which is comparably slow compared to a TB interface, is more than ample to carry the load of the 12 Audio channels I envisioned. Read my second post here.

Don´t waste a cent on getting a TB interface if you have FW400 or even 800. Even USB2.0 is fit for the job.
If you have a TB interface, you´re home with a $30 Apple TB to FW adapter.

If you use USB, make sure you have your interface on a USB bus that is uncommited otherwise, since all units on the bus share traffic.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
gypsy101

Post by gypsy101 »

cremley wrote:Here is my experience...

It could be the never-ending updates from Microsoft.

It also could be any Virus Scan software that is "looking" at any open files (like the huge WAV files from a mix).

My Mixcraft PC does not connect to anything...no WiFi, no Internet. I manually update it and then don't have to bet on when Windows will update or a Scan on the computer happens. Maybe you can turn off/unplug during recording?

Let me know what happens....
regardles of Windows version if it's not connected to the internet or wifi why is Virus Scan running?
take a look @ some of these threads-
https://www.google.com/search?sourceid= ... +recording