Mixcraft for film/TV audio

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

Swayeee

Mixcraft for film/TV audio

Post by Swayeee »

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has used mixcraft to mix trailers/spots/documentaries etc? I am currently working on a low cost video production workflow and I am looking for a solid replacement for Adobe Audition. I have given the trial a spin and it seems solid so far.. def. aimed towards music production though.

Any thoughts on this?

Sam.
AHornsby

Re: Mixcraft for film/TV audio

Post by AHornsby »

It depends. One question would be what format will you be rendering to? -h
Swayeee

Post by Swayeee »

AHornsby wrote:It depends. One question would be what format will you be rendering to? -h
I will be rendering the final audio mix as a WAV to place in to the video timeline; but often I will need to make sure that the audio is compliant with TV specs (such as R128 loudness).. I have found a few VSTs that can analyze loudness but none that help achieve the correct volume.

Sam.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Broadcast audio has also been sucked into the loudness war so as you look at the standards from one venue to the next, you might keep in mind that projects rendered in the FLAC format, will be compatible with more hardware than WAV -- which is the brainchild of Microsoft/IBM. https://xiph.org/flac/links.html

Mixcraft is also FLAC friendly software. -h
aj113

Post by aj113 »

Swayeee wrote:...I will be rendering the final audio mix as a WAV to place in to the video timeline; but often I will need to make sure that the audio is compliant with TV specs (such as R128 loudness).. I have found a few VSTs that can analyze loudness but none that help achieve the correct volume.

Sam.
Here's the best way I have found: Don't use a VST, use a standalone, I use Orban (free).

http://www.orban.com/meter/

Mix your track and export it as normal, load the file into Orban to get a reading for the entire track in seconds. (Given in LKFS but as you probably know, this exactly the same as LUFS). Adjust either your master slider or your master limiter (if you are using one) to achieve the exact loudness required (-23 LUFS for R128). Re-export the mix, re-check in Orban.

Sounds a bit convoluted but it is actually the easiest and quickest way I have tried.
msnickybee

Post by msnickybee »

Anyone got experience with the Melda freeware plugin VSTs?
They have a freeware loudness meter VST, I've not used it but seen it (although it doesn't seem as pretty as some eg the Toneboosters one) & thinking about it to know my LUFS from my DR...

https://www.meldaproduction.com/MLoudnessAnalyzer
Nicky
Latest 2020 EP tracks Here And Now and Pick Up The Pieces
2019 EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify
or check out my YouTube channel
aj113

Post by aj113 »

They all do exactly the same thing, using the ITU-R BS 1770-3 algorithm. If they're not using that algo then they're not loudness meters.