Is it possible to 'normalize' midi keyboard input?

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

dunn

Is it possible to 'normalize' midi keyboard input?

Post by dunn »

Howdy,
Is it possible to have a MIDI keyboard not need such a fast attack? I think I am using the correct terminology, but I don't know! I recently purchased an Xkey 37 which had glowing recommendations. But I think this is more for an experienced user who needs to be mobile. Anyway, as I'm trying to teach my hands to move in unusual (for me) ways, I find I must hit the keys sharply to get more than a whisper from Mixcraft with it, and there is a huge difference in how fast my pinky finger can strike the keys compared to any others.

Is there a way to have Mixcraft ignore such things and just register a piano key being hit (ignoring loudness for now)? I think until I get a keyboard with weighted keys, my piano training must just be rhythm and fingering.

Thanks!
-- dunn
mick

Re: Is it possible to 'normalize' midi keyboard input?

Post by mick »

Standard Midi keyboards have a downward travel of around 15 - 20 mm and a processor measures the time it takes for the key to travel that distance. This is called velocity sensitivity (a velocity sensitive keyboard) I suppose we could say "key speed" to give it a different description. The longer it takes to travel that key distance the softer the sound, so a hard strike takes less time and you get a higher volume, this mimics (to some degree) the action of an acoustic piano.
It looks like the X key (CME?) is a bit different where it gives a higher volume according to how hard the key is pressed instead of how fast because there is very little travel of the key so the sensor works by a harder press and not a faster one. I'm not sure what can be done in this case but check the manual and see if there is any adjustment of the sensor, if not you may have to use the velocity bar adjustment in Mixcraft after the notes are inputted. The Xkey appears to be more of an input keyboard rather than a performance one but if the sensitivity can be adjusted I would suggest the highest then use a compressor to tame things down to suit.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

I just did a quick Google search and found a configuration program that lets you change a whole load of things for your XKey.

http://www.cme-pro.com/xkey-downloads/

I don't have an XKey myself so cant check. But the screen shots do show the ability to change the Key sensitivity.

Cheers

John
mick

Post by mick »

Just had a look at John's link and all the settings and velocity adjustment is there so no need for a compressor. 8)
dunn

Post by dunn »

Thanks for the explanation, Mick! I tried turning the volume way up and pressing each key firmly. It worked a little better but I think I would have needed the compressor you spoke of too.

Then I saw John's post, downloaded the configuration program and set the velocity curve to on/off. No sound from Mixcraft then so I figured I broke it. But upon restarting Mixcraft again it's perfect! Woo hoo!!!

I was with only one day remaining in my Mixcraft trial period, so I must say I certainly appreciate the fast responses from the two of you -- I was going to just set these things aside until I could afford a piano to learn on, but now it's glaringly clear to me that I can use the keyboard and Mixcraft to learn an awful lot (while making some awful noise, I'm sure). I will most certainly be buying Mixcraft today so you should put in for your commissions now.

Now, the musicians hereabout are sure to think me silly to disable the fancy features on my keyboard, but it will now work perfectly for my purposes. Thank you so much for the help! To my scales!

-- dunn