Sending Midi Out

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

gmpolin

Sending Midi Out

Post by gmpolin »

Hi,

How do I send the output of a virtual instrument to an external Midi instrument. In this case, I want to send chords for harmony to a TC Helicon product. I can create the harmony chords on a Virtual Instrument piano, for example, and then how do I get those out to the Midi device?

(The TC Helicon product does show up as a MIDI device on the system).

Tiger
ktk9

Re: Sending Midi Out

Post by ktk9 »

Are you trying to send the MIDI commands or the actual Audio signals?
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

The Midi commands, I think....it might work by sending audio, however. I hadn't considered that.

Tiger
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

I recently wanted to double a voice part with some harmonic backing vocals.

I have a TC Helicon G-XT (I think that was its name), a device that takes the input of a microphone and of a guitar, analyzes the chords of the guitar and makes suitable voice harmonies out of this.

During tracking, playing the chords on a guitar was not an option. I thus quickly whipped out some midi chords with some guitar sound and routed this to an output track (create > output track).

If your sound hardware supports this, you can assign an output channel to this, as much as you would assign an input channel to a certain track-to-be-recorded.

Maybe this is a suitable work-a-round.

MX7 can route midi recently, but I never heared of routing this outside again.

-helmut
C# or Bb!
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Just so I understand, can one of the Mixcraft people confirm that Mixcraft 7 can't route Midi out? I just assumed this was possible and it makes some problems in my plans.
fredfish

Post by fredfish »

OK I might be completly out here (Greg chime in if that is the case!)

As it stands Mixcraft cant route MIDI to other vsts or take the MIDI from a vst and output it to an external MIDI device - I beleive this is something Acoustica are looking at for V8 (fingers crassed).

Now I havent tried this (if I get a chance I will have a go - but not at home at the moment).

You could try adding something like "MIDI OUT" http://asseca.org/nicfit/midi_out.html which is a vst that doesn't create any sounds itself but sends MIDI signals to either another MIDI channel or to an external instrument (which is what you would be after). If it stands a chance of working try putting it as a vsti instrument directly beneath the instrument that you want to export MIDI from - this "stacking" of MIDI vsts is exactly what you would do if you wanted to feed the MIDI from one vst to a MIDI arpegiator. In this case you are just saying "take the MIDI data and send it to X destination (in your case your TC Helicon"

Gotta be worth a try!!

Best of luck.

Cheers

John
Acoustica Greg

Post by Acoustica Greg »

Hi,

To send MIDI from an instrument track to your external MIDI device, just choose "External MIDI Devices" instead of a virtual instrument:

MIDI doesn't contain any audio, so going through a piano virtual instrument wouldn't really do anything.

With Mixcraft 7, you can send MIDI from one VSTi to another and also from a MIDI track to an effect. I supposee if you wanted to go through an arpeggiator or something and send the output of the VSTi to your external MIDI device, you could add it before the external device, but I haven't tested that. It should work:

Greg
Mixcraft - The Musician's DAW
Check out our tutorial videos on YouTube: Mixcraft 10 University 101
gmpolin

Post by gmpolin »

Thanks for this detailed response. This works well. I was listing the virtual instrument first and then the midi second; that doesn't work.

The external midi can be alone, or it can have the virtual instrument (say piano) following it, second in line. That way the internal virtual instrument gets the notes and the notes also go out to the external midi device.

Glenn
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

Acoustica Greg wrote:(...)but I haven't tested that. It should work:
gmpolin wrote: This works well
Amazing. Even the Mixcraft folks can never seize to marvel at what their program can do... :lol:

-helmut
C# or Bb!