Song production - what are your go-to songs you admire?

Use this forum for discussing music in general, rather than specific Acoustica products.

Moderators: Acoustica Chris, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, Acoustica Greg

Mark Bliss

Re: Song production - what are your go-to songs you admire?

Post by Mark Bliss » Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:45 am

Man that ref song has a lot of high end content! Maybe a touch too much for some tastes, but I marvel at the accomplishment none the less. High target Nicky. :)

I have been trying hard to figure out the channels function in Span, but still nothing. But along the way I have dug deeper into the plugin and learned some cool stuff. This is quite a versatile plugin for a freebie!

This should be interesting, I can get it to approach 25K, but that may be the limit of the 32 Bit float internal processing in Mixcraft. And since you are using higher rates now with that new toy, we can compare results. See what your limit is different?

In Span, click on the edit mode button and turn up the high freq range.
Note also that I have zoomed in on the scale from 10K up.
Span highfreq.jpg
Span highfreq.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 3197 times
There's more goodies on Span to come. Very useful tips I hope. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

msnickybee

Post by msnickybee » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:38 am

Now that is gonna be useful! thanks Mark!
sp.jpg
sp.jpg (73.65 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
Now.... it *is* confusing tho, because it shows 96k.
Now, yes, I've recorded mostly with 96k resolution, but I don't want to be hearing 96kilohertz sounds! a graph in the range of 22-30 would be plenty!
It's all gone a bit weird, mixing up resolution and frequency????????
(or is it me)
Nicky
MC9 PS user since v5
My latest EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify, still writing the new one!
or check out my YouTube channel

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:03 am

Well I did say it might be interesting..... :roll:
But yes,thats just silly isnt it? The max is 96, but with audio actually playing what is the functional range on the graph itself?

Just playing around I maxed out all the ranges of frequency and level, a dB range of -180 to +20 dB is absurd, as is 1 hZ lower frequency range, and at the extremes the plugin starts behaving badly.
Span crazy.jpg
Span crazy.jpg (65.71 KiB) Viewed 3173 times
Try just setting the upper frequency range to 25 or 30K. I dont know if its truly useful there, but it might be interesting. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

msnickybee

Post by msnickybee » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:42 am

Mark Bliss wrote:Well I did say it might be interesting..... :roll:

Try just setting the upper frequency range to 25 or 30K. I dont know if its truly useful there, but it might be interesting. 8)
OK thanks, I'm gonna try that when I get home tonight!
The George Michael track has a lot of hihat and tambourine content which exists up there, and is very nicely recorded. The .ogg samples files in mixcraft are good, but not that good, and I think that's where I'm going wrong.
I need good 96k hihats and tambourines, with a certain hi-freq finesse.....

And you know what? I'm also gonna go back to my usual practice of mixing into a bus compressor, dancing with the devil as that seems. Just can't get the gel I want, and there's only so much fader automation, EQ air, double tracking, reverb and delay shaping, low end compression, transient control and general messing around I can do.
I've already driven myself mad with the last 2 songs!
So, I think my current obsession with frequencies and shaping, and a complete and pure mix & master separation, might need tweaking back to my previous approach of at least a stereo bus compressor for "glue".

Ok, I'm rambling now.... Nicky...OUT. :x

PS thanks again Mark for all your patience in and off forum, yer a total star!
Nicky
MC9 PS user since v5
My latest EP Bittersweet is still available on Spotify, still writing the new one!

Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 am

Nicky, check your Dropbox folder for some Tambourine samples to evaluate. 8)

I think mixing into some modest bus compression is usually a good idea, certainly nothing wrong with that.
In a way it becomes a matter of thinking micro and macro simultaneously I think. (Actually, I think mixing/mastering engineer Jonathan Wyner describes it as working "zoomed in" and "zoomed out" all at once, or something like that.)

Will revisit if necessary. :wink:
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page

msnickybee

Post by msnickybee » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:55 am

Mark Bliss wrote:Nicky, check your Dropbox folder for some Tambourine samples to evaluate. 8)

I think mixing into some modest bus compression is usually a good idea, certainly nothing wrong with that.
In a way it becomes a matter of thinking micro and macro simultaneously I think. (Actually, I think mixing/mastering engineer Jonathan Wyner describes it as working "zoomed in" and "zoomed out" all at once, or something like that.)

Will revisit if necessary. :wink:
Thanks Mark! that's fab!

I am really finding that there's something about the way I put a song together, acoustic guitar parts played twice and panned hard/left, above 200k of guitar dead centre along with drums, vocals and bass that mixing into a subtle mid/side compressor works well for me. Avoiding pumping of the strummed guitars is hard, but the compressor really makes you "glue" things as I'm going along.
But you're right, it's a well known technique, although I reckon that there's as many folks who disagree with it as agree with it.
YMMV.
:D
Nicky
MC9 PS user since v5