Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

chibear

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by chibear »

Mark Bliss wrote:but then wouldn't there still be the burden of deciding which of our collection of DAW's to use? :lol:
That's easy...........a DAW browser :mrgreen:
Win 7 Pro, 3930K, Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4, Corsair AX860i, 64GB gSkill 1600 RAM, 5 X 120 GB Intel 520 SSD, 1T & 2T WD caviar black, EVGA nVidea 560, Asus Xonar Essence STX EWQL CCC, Kirk Hunter, Chris Hein, Omnisphere
Soundcloud YouTube
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

:lol: Can we drag and drop content between active DAW's too? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

Mark Bliss wrote:I can see where a simple utilitarian browser approach would be an improvement over the existing library arrangement, for a segment of users.

But then wouldn't there still be the burden of deciding which of our collection of DAW's to use? :lol:
Image Line solved that. FL Studio is a VST just in case you can't stand working with one DAW at a time.

To me Mixcraft is laid out so nice and simple to noodle around and experiment. If you had to make a quick project this is the DAW for it except when you have to do those mulitclicks to get to your special libraries and Windows 10 is responsible for half of those clicks.
BanjoBob

Post by BanjoBob »

My suggestion would be full integration with the Nektar Impact LX88 (or other LX models).
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

kitekrazy wrote: No one does that unless they use Mixcraft. You can't audition files that way.
I suppose my ignorance about the world of DAWS extends into the realm of probable cause and effect.

Hours and hours (hundreds?) of programming time to save each user a 'click' or two couldn't possibly justify the price increase necessary to thrill MC users into a lockstep with what 'all the other DAWS' can do.

Personally, I question new posters who inform everyone that they have invested -- obviously thousands of dollars and in following, an equivalent number of man-hours-- into a library full of DAWS and then rag on Mixcraft about a 'feature' that no one misses. But that's just me and my suspicious nature. It's not personal.

As an example I tried out your 'can't audition files' statement and I could audition files. It may not be as fine and pure a technique as doing it from 'within' a DAW but I did it. (Frankly, it's the first time and I thank you for your post.)

Here's the layout of my set up. I was able to 'preview' the flac file using the built in player. About 5 clicks max, perhaps.

Best regards. -h
Attachments
ex1.jpg
ex1.jpg (228.22 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

About 5 clicks max, perhaps.

Which is four too many.

Hours and hours (hundreds?) of programming time to save each user a 'click' or two couldn't possibly justify the price increase necessary to thrill MC users into a lockstep with what 'all the other DAWS' can do.

This is strawman. Reaper added notation. Reaper is still $60. And believe it or not most DAW developers are concerned with workflow. In fact all developers are concerned with workflow. DAW software is a highly competitive market. You'd be surprised how many people ditch a DAW because another one can do something the other can't. Not everyone treats them like they are religions. There is some ignorance on your behalf.

Personally, I question new posters who inform everyone that they have invested -- obviously thousands of dollars and in following, an equivalent number of man-hours-- into a library full of DAWS and then rag on Mixcraft about a 'feature' that no one misses. But that's just me and my suspicious nature. It's not personal.

Personally I label people who find my request as a rant ignoring that I do like this DAW as nothing but mindless fanboys and crowned themselves as "spokesman for all". Two of us defended this DAW on another forum. Smells like the Sonar forum. Yes it is now personal. A feature no one misses? How do you know? I'm guessing it was never implemented. Reason and Live users would not agree with you. Ignorance on your behalf again.

I made a feature request and what I would like to see. It's that simple.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Speaking strictly for myself, as I already said- I think its a useful suggestion. (Just as I agreed with the last person who suggested it. And the one before that.)

But in the meantime, while it is still floating as a valid suggestion, if I had my choice of a half dozen DAWs that have the feature..... Assuming I needed it (you have to realize many don't....)
If it was critical to me, I'd use one that offered it until some point in the future at which perhaps it becomes an included feature.
In the meantime, you made your suggestion. I'd like to thank you for your participation in the new feature discussion. You presented the suggestion and explained it. Another user doesn't see the need. So what? Your opinion is as welcome as his, and there's no need to defend that.

And if it was the only or the greatest missing feature (I seriously doubt it qualifies as either BTW) we'd be some lucky consumers.
You cast a vote for, Lets move forward eh? 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Okay,

So I will repost my suggestions for Mixcraft 8 for changing the subject ^^ :

Simple but usefull :

- Grouping faders to easily move more than 1 fader at once.

- Copy/Paste plugins to tracks. Like copy/paste SSL Channel Strip, Waves NLS, Vu Meter, Trim etc...

- A better audio zoom for reaching more professionals.

- Improving the VU meter of Mixcraft ? (there are a lot of great free VU meter but anyway)

- Copy/Paste automation moves.

- Native Sidechaining (but I know that it will be included ;) !)

Less usefull but why not :

- Dynamic plugins processing ? (not sure about that one).

- Faders for send tracks into your tracks (Mixcraft already have a level fader for that).

- Bypassing multiple plugins at once (not only one or all).

- 64 bits processing haha ^^ (marketing thing)

There are a lot here. But that doesn't mean that I think that Mixcraft is weak. In fact, I was reaaaally pleased with the Mixcraft 7 improvement. The bus track are spot on and could help us to use hardward to process in post-production. For example. The 7 is really a big step above.

But it's just to propose some ideas, I will probably edit my message if others features come to my mind later. Anyways, if all my "simple but usefull" ideas are in Mixcraft 8, well I'll be really really happy :D.
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

kitekrazy wrote: A feature no one misses? How do you know? I'm guessing it was never implemented.
Because if you do a search in this thread about 'media access' guess what?
kitekrazy wrote: Reason and Live users would not agree with you.
Which is why I use what I want and they use what they want.
kitekrazy wrote: I made a feature request and what I would like to see. It's that simple.
Apparently not. :lol:

-h
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

AHornsby wrote:
kitekrazy wrote: A feature no one misses? How do you know? I'm guessing it was never implemented.
Because if you do a search in this thread about 'media access' guess what?
kitekrazy wrote: Reason and Live users would not agree with you.
Which is why I use what I want and they use what they want.
kitekrazy wrote: I made a feature request and what I would like to see. It's that simple.
Apparently not. :lol:

-h
A great. It didn't take long to meet an ignorant fan boy. :roll: Is there an ignore list?
Ianpb

Post by Ianpb »

kitekrazy wrote: A great. It didn't take long to meet an ignorant fan boy. :roll:
There's no need to be insulting, he's only expressing an opinion.
kitekrazy wrote: Is there an ignore list?
Are you now expecting a 'Safe space' (groan! :roll: ) to be available in the forum because you don't like what he said? Take it as part of the general knock-about of ideas and opinions that is still present and available (thankfully!) on this forum, and the internet as a whole.
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

Ianpb wrote:
kitekrazy wrote: A great. It didn't take long to meet an ignorant fan boy. :roll:
There's no need to be insulting, he's only expressing an opinion.
kitekrazy wrote: Is there an ignore list?
Are you now expecting a 'Safe space' (groan! :roll: ) to be available in the forum because you don't like what he said? Take it as part of the general knock-about of ideas and opinions that is still present and available (thankfully!) on this forum, and the internet as a whole.
Oh a self appointed moderator. So I am willing to stay on topic. How about you? :idea:

Mixcraft Suggestions...............

Meanwhile I may have found a work around to what I want.

BTW as of last week Mixcraft gained 4 new users and we are singing of its praises in another DAW forum, not an attempt to troll or sway. There are some ignorant DAW fanboys who refer to Mixcraft as a toy. Furthest from the truth. Opening Mixcraft shouts "make something!" I made one request that I'm use to in other DAWs and people treat it like it's a rant. For me it's a habit in other DAWs. Suggestions should not be a debate. Some suggestions are made out of ignorance because they didn't go far enough into a DAW.

I could easily (should I?) make a thread about how great this DAW is. I've eyed this thing for years. I could have bought another plugin for the price or even more and it could sit and collect dust. I chose another DAW with the potential to collect dust. Most DAWs are often apples and oranges. If I had to make a quick project Mixcraft gets the call. I will eventually do an orchestra project with this. The video tutorials are awesome. I never made a dubstep bass in 12 minutes. I have a Launchpad Mini and never come across and easier DAW to use with it.

Sorry if I got off topic but this is a great DAW and I could understand people fearing changes of something already great. Color me impressed with this.

This is a great DAW

Really

It is

Seriously

Back to topic.
elaw

Post by elaw »

Hey as a fairly new user, here are a few things that jump out at me:
1) I agree with many suggestions here for enhancing the library. The ability for it to contain MIDI files would be a big help. Also to me having to add a sound clip to your project in order to import it to the library is a bit counterintuitive. It makes sense in some situations, but if you just bought or downloaded a bunch of clips, IMHO it would make much more sense to have a "library manager" popup where you could browse and select (one or more) files to add to the library directly from disk.

2) The way Mixcraft handles playing tracks that are mute when you click the little "play" button for the sound itself in the track view or in the editor makes sense if you view Mixcraft as emulating a physical mixer. But being more of a computer-geek type than a recording engineer, I keep clicking those little "play" buttons and expecting the sound to play even when the track is muted. To me, mute/solo should be effective when playing or recording the entire project but not when working with an individual sound. I know others likely feel the opposite - my suggestion is to make it an option in preferences.

3) I think the function of the metronome button could be enhanced a bit. The way I'd like to see it work is as follows:
* If the button is left-clicked when the project is NOT currently playing or recording, the click would "arm" or "disarm" the metronome... meaning it would change whether the metronome starts or not when "play" or "record" is next clicked.
* If the button is clicked when the project IS currently playing or recording, it would toggle the metronome on or off instantly.
* If the button is right-clicked, the metronome options would pop up as they do now. FWIW the ability to change tempo from that popup would be great... I know the current tempo setting is in almost the same place but in my mind there's a connection between the metronome and the tempo. Oh, and being able to set the metronome volume in that popup would also be a huge help. It stinks when you're fooling around with a project and realize the metronome is a little too soft or loud, to have to drill through the "preferences" menu to change the volume.

4) Someone else mentioned having a "pause" button and was asked why. My answer would be that play/stop and pause would differ in one key way. If I'm in "play" mode and hit stop, if I hit "play" again the song starts at the original starting point. A "pause" button would allow the user to stop playback (/recording?), then hit the button again to resume at the same point it stopped.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

1) You can import sounds to the library independently, and there is a form of manager for that, but the naming and organizing conventions are still cumbersome, and as you mentioned, totally lacking MIDI support.
I am not very familiar with how other DAW's have integrated this, but it seems that MIDI content still poses problematic issues in that you may not retain instrument assignments and such, as some is simple MIDI data.

The best suggestion IMO on the topic would basically be to ditch the entire library concept as it stands, and make available a SIMPLE media browser method that allows the user to develop their own method/style of filing and organizing their audio loop, sample and MIDI data content as they wish. IMO this would allow for the broadest range of user workflow styles and preferences. JMO.

2) I like this proposal. Well explained. 8)

3) Even better, another very good idea!

4) You can change your preferences to fix that.
Try unchecking this box:
preferences.png
preferences.png (97.21 KiB) Viewed 4747 times
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
elaw

Post by elaw »

Mark,

Thanks for the response!

I honestly wouldn't favor ditching the library completely... there are many nice things about it IMHO. Particularly the metadata and the ability to search/filter on same. Some of that probably would not be able to function with MIDI clips (or maybe it could but you'd have to hand-enter some of the info) but to me there still would be much value in having your entire "library" of sounds in one place, vs. audio clips in one place and MIDI clips accessed via a completely different arrangement.

And re #4 I was aware of that, but I really feel two different buttons would be best. Play (or rec)/stop when you want to keep going back to the same point, "pause" for a momentary stop when you want to add/edit a marker, take notes about something, or whatever.

Oh and one other thing: the ability to set a UNC path as the default project path (and have it work right)!