Why all the Plugins?

Discussions of VST and VST3 plugins for Mixcraft users.

Moderators: Acoustica Eric, rsaintjohn

AHornsby

Re: Why all the Plugins?

Post by AHornsby »

Rolling Estonian wrote:True. We all used to use candlelight too. I certainly appreciate the sentiment but that argument is kind of silly. And I don't mean to be argumentative but man has always tried to improve upon existing technology and recording is a great example of how far we've come is such a short amount of time.

M
In this day and time it is a silly argument and that's an understatement but, your statement about man 'trying' to improve on things? Many plug-ins are redundant and retro-centric and there are even some that want you to believe that the sound of old tape is necessary... and cool enough to bet on.

I just wanted to point out the tremendous amount of hype these days. (And you gobbled up the bait. lol)

The OP may have already come to that conclusion.

Can we know 'everything' about what is available to us as artists? Is there a point where we become less like musicians and more like wonks for the latest tit of a $400 program that can emulate a $30 piece of hardware?

I'll stick with my original argument. As long as there is a $4 million machine out there somewhere winding my guitar strings, I'm happy. :D :lol: -h
aquataur

Post by aquataur »

I know of a guy who records people and produces CDs for them. He knows nothing about the inner workings and just uses a plugin that promises to do what he expects: "voice up front".

Yea I presume there is more ways to go about.
C# or Bb!
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

Mark Bliss wrote:I am not certain the multitudes were ever happy before stereo. 8)
But I am under the impression the multitudes weren't ready for quadraphonic.
'Lend Me Your Ears...' might just have been one of the greatest ideas ever for a new quadraphonic plug-in back then.

... then 5.1 and 7.1... what does it all mean? Improvement? 9.1 just HAS to be better then. :lol:

-h
AHornsby

Post by AHornsby »

aquataur wrote: The problem is, you have a certain situation, a certain project and you are faced with the fact that you can hear something needs improvement. You are lucky if you can pinpoint the problem and have a vague idea what tool could help and what settings, but that´s where most of us are lost already. -helmut
Hear! Hear!

We become inventors at that point, learning quickly what doesn't work.

-h
briannadejole

Post by briannadejole »

Hey! What does that leave me? I must be the ultimate plug in nut :)

I have Mixcraft Pro added to a lot of free plug ins, Reaper - tons of plug ins, and FL Studio.

If my plug ins were an army they would defeat the USA :twisted:
dodge27

Post by dodge27 »

Why all the Plugins? , yes good point.
after getting the Slate VMR last year I decided to limit my EQ and Compression to the ones that come with that plugin and really get to know how each one works.my thought was if the Neve and SSL eq is good enough for most of my favorite records then it must be user error if I cant get my stuff up to scratch.
I now have the Slate everything bundle and I have found everything in that very helpful ( no I dont work for Slate ) I also use some Waves products , reverbs delays , doubler etc.
if you buy an issue of computer music , some of the plugins in there are great , and free.
sibalance desser , side winder and the barricade limiter are all worth the cover price along with the lindell 6x-500.
I have now disabled most of the plugins that come with Mixcraft and just limit myself to the ones I know.
my go to reverb is the Quantum leap spaces convolution reverb , what I like most about it is there is only a few parameters adjustable on it , input level,dry,wet,predelay and a high and low cut , just pick a sound you like and after minimal tweaking its done, most reverbs for me have way too many thing to adjust.
well that my two cents worth.
Steve.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Steve, I think finding a few that suit your needs, and learning them well- as opposed to constantly collecting and experimenting with the variety of new ones always tempting us...... Is very good advise!

And there is nothing wrong with most of those that come with Mixcraft. You can create great projects with nothing else.
Even that collection has grown in quantity to what might be a distracting number of choices IMO.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page