Mixcraft Suggestions!

Support and feedback for Acoustica's Mixcraft audio mixing software.

Moderators: Acoustica Greg, Acoustica Eric, Acoustica Dan, rsaintjohn

kitekrazy

Re: Mixcraft Suggestions!

Post by kitekrazy »

Mark Bliss wrote:1) You can import sounds to the library independently, and there is a form of manager for that, but the naming and organizing conventions are still cumbersome, and as you mentioned, totally lacking MIDI support.
I am not very familiar with how other DAW's have integrated this, but it seems that MIDI content still poses problematic issues in that you may not retain instrument assignments and such, as some is simple MIDI data.

The best suggestion IMO on the topic would basically be to ditch the entire library concept as it stands, and make available a SIMPLE media browser method that allows the user to develop their own method/style of filing and organizing their audio loop, sample and MIDI data content as they wish. IMO this would allow for the broadest range of user workflow styles and preferences. JMO.

2) I like this proposal. Well explained. 8)

3) Even better, another very good idea!

4) You can change your preferences to fix that.
Try unchecking this box:
preferences.png
+1 I posted screen shots how other DAWs handle this. The point is these bypass the amount of clicks one has to go through an OS especially Window 10. They are media browsers. This DAW likes to promote the use of loops and one shots but ease of access is the downfall for people on desktops with multiple drives.

As for midi content only saves and presets will retain any information. What would be impressive if midi files could be auditioned from a browser. The only two that do that is Live and Reaper.

As for adding virtual instrument tracks I'd prefer not to have the instrument chose for me after the track is added. Is there a different way of doing this? I have yet to try Mixcraft with Kontakt or Play.

I have noticed after an install you can't change the location of the library. I searched the registry to see if I can alter it. No luck.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

elaw wrote:I honestly wouldn't favor ditching the library completely... there are many nice things about it IMHO. Particularly the metadata and the ability to search/filter on same. Some of that probably would not be able to function with MIDI clips (or maybe it could but you'd have to hand-enter some of the info) but to me there still would be much value in having your entire "library" of sounds in one place, vs. audio clips in one place and MIDI clips accessed via a completely different arrangement.
Maybe that would work. My experience adding some 1300 files, naming and entering some meta data, trying to integrate them into the library...... Not doing that again. :roll:
Using a Windows folder and filing system is far easier, and just lacks the ease of linking the two and the convenience of auditioning.
Combine that with the fact that literally 90% of the library content is stuff I would NEVER use, but cant easily eliminate the titles from the index.....
I am simply agreeing there is a great deal of room for improvement, and allowing that everyone's use may differ greatly.
elaw wrote:And re #4 I was aware of that, but I really feel two different buttons would be best. Play (or rec)/stop when you want to keep going back to the same point, "pause" for a momentary stop when you want to add/edit a marker, take notes about something, or whatever.
OK, I understand and see your point. More agreement! 8)

elaw wrote:Oh and one other thing: the ability to set a UNC path as the default project path (and have it work right)!
Not sure I understand what you mean here.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
elaw

Post by elaw »

Mark Bliss wrote:
elaw wrote:Oh and one other thing: the ability to set a UNC path as the default project path (and have it work right)!
Not sure I understand what you mean here.
Well... it's a network thing, and doesn't mean much if you're not working on a (Windows) network. But being the geek that I am, I have a network at the house.

Basically on your local computer you can always refer to file paths using a drive letter, like c:\folder\subfolder etc.

You can do that on a network too by mapping a drive letter to a network share, but there are some downsides to that. The other way to refer to a network location is the so-called "UNC path" which would be something like \\computername\sharename\folder\subfolder.

Mixcraft seems to have partial support for UNC paths... in the project open/save dialogs if you've created a "network location" under computer it shows up in the list, or you can hand-enter a UNC path. But network locations defined that way can't be selected in the browser for default project location, and if you hand-enter one it ignores it.

It's certainly not a showstopper, but if you want your default project location to be a network path, it stinks to always have to remember to change the path before you save a project.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Ah!
UNC = "Universal Naming Convention" and you have set up a mapped network.

I have messed with that, trying to get a network to recognize a printer and such. The "UNC" just didn't immediately ring a bell.

Yep, your a geek. :D
Not too tough to work around that little obstacle though is it. 8)
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

If mapping networks is geeky, boy am I in trouble...... I actually have my music collection on my D drive available so others can access it, when I allow them. Pretty handy for get togethers and such.

M

Post by 7915983 »

More colors for tracks and lanes
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

I have used other DAWs so I have this habit of right clicking the track pane to add another track.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

CTRL+G for audio tracks, CTRL+E for virtual instrument tracks.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

Mark Bliss wrote:CTRL+G for audio tracks, CTRL+E for virtual instrument tracks.
Just found out if you hold G or E you get lots of tracks. I will have to remember this but remembering hot keys is my biggest weakness.
Mark Bliss

Post by Mark Bliss »

Far from my biggest weakness, but I struggle with remembering shortcut keys as well.

It's especially hard when I try to remember them for 6, 8 programs or more. It helps me to focus on one or two, and practice.

My daddy always said "repetition will form an impression on even the dullest of minds". 8)

But worst case scenario, I can usually remember to push the "+ tracks" button.
Stay in tune, Mark

My SOUNDCLOUD Page
kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy »

Mark Bliss wrote:Far from my biggest weakness, but I struggle with remembering shortcut keys as well.

It's especially hard when I try to remember them for 6, 8 programs or more. It helps me to focus on one or two, and practice.

My daddy always said "repetition will form an impression on even the dullest of minds". 8)

But worst case scenario, I can usually remember to push the "+ tracks" button.
I should just make note pads on the desktop. Plus maybe read the manual?
Rolling Estonian

Post by Rolling Estonian »

There are also keyboard templates that you can customize.

M
jddrock

Post by jddrock »

I would be very interested in there being more features and functionality with the remote app. I would really enjoy being able to say connect my tablet to Mixcraft wirelessly using the remote app and control the mixer board screen on my tablet. It would be nice to be able to do more with wireless devices with Mixcraft. It would be like turning your ipad, tablet, phone, or other touchscreen device into a mixing control surface. I would definitely be more interested in using the remote app if it had this kind of functionality.
mfkne

Post by mfkne »

Better Look (2D) and a Multi-Browser.
WhiRz

Post by WhiRz »

Does Mixcraft have automatic delay compensation (when addings plugins) ?!

If not, it could be cool to introduce a kind of Pro Tool's delay compensation and "nudge" feature.
From my point of view it's a "must have" to create tracks are tight rythmically and so sounds better.